Bilateral THR KungFu/BJJ hips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my 6 week post op checkup and pretty much all my restrictions were lifted with exception to doing anything high-impact. I think my Dr. was more excited about my progress than I was, LOL!!! I now can get more aggressive with my exercising and PT. Good stuff. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] KungFu/BJJ hips
bsilvers, Brian, on having restrictions lifted. But it is not permission to get too aggressive about exercise. Overdoing exercise often leads to tendonitis which takes a long while to resolve----and you don't want that. So do move incrementally with adding exercises slowly. Remember just because your mind says you're 100%, it doesn't mean that your body is 100%---it's still healing and will be for a while.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I understand, I am a big proponent of listening to your body and not doing something that doesn't feel right or feels like it's too early to do.
 
Mornin bsilvers congrats on your 6 weeks.You must feel great.Awesome stuff guy with you recovering well after bthr.Going through one hip recovery is quite tedious your task is probably 3 times more careing for 2 at once.You seem to be doing real well,kudos bud.Im also a propont of listening to ones body and not useing cookie cutter rehab.Science.Good luck man.Peace.
 
Hey Roofmaster, thanks. I don't think having both done is any harder than having one done, it might even be easier because you can't favor one leg over the other and probably accelerates the healing. I'm so glad I had them both done at the same time. I'm extremely happy with the results so far and growing more excited day by day to get back to BJJ, working out, etc.. How is your healing going, do you still have a lot of pain on the hip that is not operated on yet? How many more weeks do you have to wait to get that one done?
 
Well bsilvers you can downplay your double hip recovery but I still commend you and am inspired by you.Im a fellow martial artist,Wing Chu,Pukulan and Jeet kune do plus a myriad of weapons discipline.Ive been on the warrior way of enlightenment my whole life starting with boxing at Petronelli's gym in Brockton Ma. as a yoot.Home of Marvelous Marvin Hagler.Im itching to get back in the gym myself.Hoe long have you been studying BJJ?I wish there was an opportunity for me to give that a go but no local BJJ gyms around.Do you do ring work also?I have been hitting my weights while recovering from surgery just doing maintainence work so I dont lose my edge.Are you able to do any resistance training yet?My second surgery is in 9 days Sept. 23rd and I cant wait so I can start the real healing.Anyway keep up the good work bro and nice conversing with ya.And know Im useing your recovery as a template.Peace.
 
Roofmaster, I started practicing KungFu at 18 and received my Black Belt when I as 21. I competed in the tournament circuit for 2 1/2 years and did kick boxing in the amateur circuit for about 3 years. I started learning BJJ in late 2000 so I have been doing BJJ for about 13 years now. I've been doing bands at PT and they have a type of squat machine that you lean back on an angle and do squats and I have been doing those along with the normal movement type rehab stuff like stairs, balancing on one leg, balancing on the board thing, and just basically working on getting the flexibility back. Due to my OA, my hip flexors shortened a lot so I have to stretch them out long again and rebuild their strength and I tell you that has been my biggest obstacle. The rest of my hip muscles are progressing quickly but the hip flexors will be a journey but I do see improvement weekly and will just let them recover on their own timeframe. I'll be doing some more in home exercises as I ordered a decent set of 2.5-5lb ankle weights and a 55cm stability ball to work the flexing of my legs resting on the ball doing like a squat but the only thing that is moving is your legs on the stability ball. Well good luck on your surgery, I'm looking forward to hearing your progress going forward once your second hip gets done. Your whole outlook on life changes, really, it's like being reborn.
 
Hey Ive got that same hip flexor issue.I hear ya about that being the biggest hurdle.My strength increases daily,but the hip flexord are so tight.I walked bent over for the last six years.Plus the nature of my work as a roofer has me bent all day nailing shilgles so Im well versed at tight hip flexors.One of the things I would do before work every morning was lay on my back on my tailgate and let my legs hang over the edge,man the agony.I find the new hip easier to stretch than the left one now but as soon as Im immobile that thing tightens right up.I also have to get out of the habit of sleeping with my legs elevated on pillows or curled up in the fetal position when on my side as these positions keep those flexors short.These positions were the only way I could get any relief with my OA.I remember 20 years ago doing full side and front splits,being able to hold my foot in the side kick position above my head like Bill Superfoot Wallace.Now I can barely lift my legs high enough to climb a flight of stairs or climb a ladder.Those days are over,time for a rebirth like you said.I know full splits are out of the equation but I remember the slow tediousness of stretching but I also remember how crucial it is.But oh the pain,the pain of stretching tight hip flexors.Keep up the good work.Time to get busy up in here.Peace.
 
Roofmaster, I was tripping over curbs before my surgery as I could barely lift my leg that high. That is how bad my ROM and walking progressed. The Hip flexors seem to have a mind of their own so at least from my experience don't get discouraged by the slow progress. The PT on the hip flexors is pretty brutal for me as they are in such a weakened state. Hey, I went to a Billy Superfoot Wallace seminar in the 90's, he's a super nice guy. Hey, don't omit the full splits, you never know..
 
I went to Jiu-Jitsu yesterday for the first time since June. I'll be 9 weeks post-op Monday. I did solo drills and techniques but nothing with partner resistance as I feel , body wise, it is too early but I am already able to do positions and various stretches I wasn't able to do prior to surgery. I am looking forward to start grappling in November.
 
Now thats another milestone.Jiu Jitsu.I set up my Wing Chun wooden man prior to 1st surgery and was just running through the motions prior to 2nd surgery.Now I have to wait another couple of weeks before I can get back on it.I put that thing away in my shed about 5 years ago because it hurt walking by it.I left it out of storage purposely as a therapy aid.Good work bsilvers.How is your quad feeling from your overexuberance with the knee raises?
 
Roofmaster , it was more like a strain/pull in my hip flexor region. It took 5 days for it to go away and made going to sleep difficult as it was a constant reminder of my poor lack of judgement. From now on it's slow and gradual increases in intensity with no more attempts to try and ratchet it up. I'm 9 weeks out post-op so at this point I'm able to do everything in daily life. Being able to stretch again and actually feeling my muscles stretch is amazing, I haven't felt that in over 4 years! All I felt was that aching arthritis pain and my hips grinding together to try and get a 1/4 inch more of flexibility which was fruitless.. I will keep posting my advancements, hoping to be released from PT in a couple more weeks. Only have those weak hip flexors to get back to normal and I'll be good to go after that..
 
Congratulations bsilvers on your progress.I cant wait till Im 9 weeks out on this left hip.Also cant wait to get some of my pre OA flexability back.Were your hamstrings also tight due to surgery?Mine are,when I drop something its difficult to bend over and pick it up.My hip flexors are also still weak but the right leg is doing much better.What are you doing for stretches.I also had the posterior and want to sfely loosen up my muscles and tendons.I dont have physical therapy to go to I was left to fend for myself so maybe you can share your stretch routine.Yesterday I walked a half a block twice,today Ive already done one whole block and going to repeat later but my hams get tight.Cant wait till Im where you are.Thanks and Peace.
 
Roofmaster, I will post the stretches, exercises that I'm doing along with videos that I find on youtube here for you.
 
Thanks Brian.I can look on youtube also.I forgot about that resource.
 
Roofmaster,
Wow, it's hard to find the exercises on youtube even for me!

I do 20 reps of the with 5 second holds


They have me doing something similar to this but I put my foot down on the floor in a normal standing position and then raise my knee and I tell you what, it's brutal for me even on the 9th week post-op I'm still struggling with this.. Just absolutely dread doing it


Something very similar to this exercise but I don't hold the band but now that I see it I am going to hold that because it seems better to do that and makes it harder


You might be doing these already as they seem to be the standard exercises that you get in your surgical packet. Sorry for this video choice but it seemed to hit a few areas that are important.
The music in the video is atrocious, enough to the point to make you want to commit suicide.. :)


This one is SUPER hard for me.. I can barely get my leg off the ground


I've been doing wall squats as well in PT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWQgMpEFjs

BTW Roofmaster
When I find some of the other exercises that I'm doing I will amend this list.

-Brian
 
Thanks bsilvers for these.How'd you figure out how to post these?The bridges on the exercise ball looks difficult.Yeah I do a version of those knee raise but clearly with much less vigoe than that kid and with no resistance,and its the exercise I like least cuz my hip flexors are weak and hurt when I do em.But that just makes me try harder.I like these.Im on my way out for mt 1st block walk of the day and will incorporate these into my eclectic series of exercises,thanks Brian.Peace.
 
I'm feeling your angst with the hip flexors & hamstrings. I'm 1 year out of a BTHR with a posterior approach & even now, they are driving me crazy. I work out 5 days a week, and have added pilates & yoga to my routines, hoping to stretch them out. I can get them stretched when I'm working them, but they don't stay that way. And I too have had to try to watch not to sleep in the fetal position as that was also my position of choice prior to the surgery. All the exercies in the videos are ones I do fairly routinely. Had my 1 year appointment with the OS yesterday & he said for bilaterals it is usually an 18 month period before you reach the endpoint of recovery where gains begin to diminish. Now that was the 1st time I heard that but at least it gave me hope. And he also commented that I spent years "walking funny" so it would take time to get everything back to "normal". Don't give up - I know I have some slow improvement with all I'm doing - I just thought I would be done at 1 year, but guess I still have some work to do!
 
11 weeks post-op and I did some light light grappling last night at BJJ. Just the ability to move now from position to position without enduring the arthritis pain is just awesome besides the fact that I can move again like a normal person is just exhilarating for me. Who could imagine just being able to move would do something like that for person. Can't take things for granted while your are healthy, that's for sure.
 
Your right bsilvers about taking things for granted.I marvel every second of every day now about the simplest things that were so trying and painful just six weeks ago.Like putting on my pants in the morning.Standing at the sink brushing my teeth.Just getting out of bed.Im happy to hear your in the BJJ gym,be careful with the twisting.I know you will just had to say it.I wish I lived close by as I would be in the gym with you.Tomorrow I start an upper body weight routine to get rid of some of this softness that Ive developed over the past six weeks.
The guys at work keep sending me video messages of them challenging me with them all banging out pushups and pullups off staging planks.Theyre in for a real surprise.Most of them are half my age and even with my svere hip condition they struggled to keep up with this overachiever.Im thinking about flipping the script when I get back and just chillin out,no more beating the hell out of ny body every day.What do you do for work Brian?Are you anxious to get back?Are you always smiling now like me with the absence of arthritus pain?Im still waiting to be snatched from this dream to awaken to the nightmare I was living.Do you ever feel like wow this is just to good to be true,whats the catch?Im a completely differant man than I was just six weeks ago,I walk with my head held high,no longer bent over staring at the ground avoiding obstacles that might trip me up.Its a bright new world we're living in my brother never to be taken for granted again.Peace.And thanks again for the time you took to post those youtube vids.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom