Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR KungFu/BJJ hips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bsilvers perthes3man How's things going with you both?

I'm now back rolling and training as normal. In fact I have to remind myself every now and again that I've had both my hips replaced.

I'm still not running a lot not because I couldn't but because its a decision I've made in order to keep the hips going for as long as possible.

It would be could to hear how your all getting on.

Owen
 
@Sion1976 ,

Great to hear that things are back to normal with you. Things are going good, no problems with the hips, just nursing a couple other injuries from training hard. How is your flexibility progressing? I typically train 3-4 times a week and wanting to compete when I get over a couple injuries.

-Brian
 
hey man ,
did u have the epidural for your surgery ?? Im scheduled for 9/11/2015 and that has me a lil anxious...lol
god i sound like a baby... how bad does it hurt ???
 
@jettaboi73 ,
are you referring to the spinal block? yes I got one and they give you anesthesia before they do the spinal block, all I remember was them wheeling me back to OR and having me sit up to give me the spinal and thinking (Boy this doesn't look like anything I thought it would, it looks like they are going to remove an engine from a car...) and that was all she wrote, I woke up in recovery.. If they stuck a needle in my spinal cord i never felt it.. LOL
 
I really enjoyed reading this thread. I had both of my hips replaced last Tues. My doctor did the anterior approach. I was a professional dancer, and had worn away all of the cartilage. Both hips were bone on bone. I'm really happy with the results. My healing has been on about the same timetable as yours. I was able to walk around the house without a walker on the 8th day. I like healing both legs at the same time. It feels like I will build the muscles up evenly. I also feel like it made the leg length very precise.
 
@bsilvers my flexibility has dramatically improved since the surgery. I'm not doing the splits but considering I couldn't even squat properly before the surgery it's been dramatic. Some of the guys in the club commented on the fact that they have their real hips and couldn't sit in the squat the way I can.

I'm hoping to complete myself but I don't feel like I'm at the correct level for my belt yet. I can see the improvement coming but it's not there yet. I've young children and a job that requires long hours so at times I find it difficult to get to training regularly. I'm training 3 times a week normally but sometimes I don't get training for maybe 2 weeks. I find it really frustrating. I'd love to train everyday twice a day.

I hope your good and your trainings going well. Have you recovered from your injuries yet?

Thanks

Owen
 
@Sion1976 ,

Great to hear that your flexibility is coming back. I'm still rehabbing my right arm so I couldn't compete in the Dallas Open. I am hoping to be able to compete next month at a smaller tournament but my strength is coming back super slow in my right shoulder/arm.

-Brian
 
Hi everyone, i'm due to go into hospital 2 weeks today for a Bilateral THR. I've been a martial artist for 30+ years and currently hold a 4th Degree BB. Around 3 years ago I noticed the start of my hips demise and around 2 years ago it seemed to really speed up over a period of a coupe of months. I went down the cortisone route which gave me a stay of execution for about a year, but finally had no choice but to opt for the surgery.
I saw the physio at the hospital yesterday, who I have to say went down the route of, you cant do this and you cant do that, martial arts is a no no etc. I came away thinking that she had to be wrong and must have been overcautious, am I wrong?
I've done all my research and there are lots of guys and girls out there still participating in many styles and finally came across this site.
I have several questions which I hope you guys can help with answers to. How will my flexibility be, will i be able to spar, how high will i be able to demo kicks when teaching, will I be able to demo all the techniques, recovery time.....etc
I guess the list is pretty much endless and down to the individual which leads me to my background. I've done Wu Shu Kwan Chinese Kickboxing since the 80s and other styles before then, my flexibility was always a strong point and kicking above headheight to demo was easy for me, up until July this year I was participating in triathlons up to Ironman distance, serious cyclist to distances of 100+ miles on a weekly basis.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I kind of feel a little lost.
Thanks in advance
Bish
 
Hi Bish!
Forgot to tag you @TheBish
Welcome to Bonesmart, you have come to the right place for your questions.
First I must say that if you sift thru the posts you will find a lot of amazing recovery stories.
You will regain your flexibility and yes you will be able to spar. However you will need to make sure you do not rush your recovery. Your recovery time will depend solely on how your body heals and there really isn't a time table nor do you want one otherwise you can have some serious setbacks if you overdo it. I was back on the mat doing very light grappling in 9 weeks and I stress very light as your muscles around your hips will be traumatized and it takes some time for them to recover and resting and icing is a big part of it at first.

I encourage you to make a pre-op thread to give the group an opportunity to help address your questions and concerns. If you read thru my pre-op and post op thread you will get a feel how my surgery and recovery went.

I'm glad you found this site and it was a huge relief for me because I was freaking out thinking I would have to stop practicing martial arts and that was a big part of my life.

Let me know if you have anymore more questions.
 
Welcome to BoneSmart @TheBish ! You have posted on Brian's recovery thread so may not get as much input from other members. Why don't you start a thread in the THR pre-op area and raise these questions? I'm sure other members will have input for you as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom