Bilateral THR KungFu/BJJ hips

Status
Not open for further replies.
My physical therapist said that I'm released to walk around as I please about 4 hours ago. It's weird not to have somebody come and say, "let's go walk." so I just cruised down the hall by myself. I've been getting up every hour or so as it seems to help with the pain... Trying not to overdue it.
 
bsilvers sounds like you are doing incredibly well!!! Yeah for you!!! Keep it up!
tikipadre. Do you mind my asking why you needed your first THR at such a young age. You are 12 days behind me on your July 12 THR. I have to say I feel great!!!! You are so right to just go slow.


I don't mind at all... I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the femoral head... the blood supply to the femoral head just wasn't sufficient enough, and/or non-existant. It had compacted to the point of wearing down bone to bone, I had a lot of discomfort with swelling and from time to time it would get a catch and almost drop me to the floor, it was miserable as anti-inflammatories gradually became less and less effective, and it was a no brainer for me to have the THR done at age 28. Glad to finally have my matching pair at 43.. :)
 
tikipadre that's amazing! I didn't realize that was something that happened to someone in their 20's. Do you notice any significant changes or improvements in the procedure and /or recovery since your first THR 15 yrs. ago. I wonder only because I had always heard how difficult and long recovery is from THR, however, I have to admit I found it to be amazingly easy compared to what I was expecting. My mom had it done the first time 10 yrs. ago and I recall her going up steps on all 4's and walking with a cane at least 4 months afterwards. I only used the cane for one week and had no real bad pain to speak off post-op. I'm 56 and very active and in decent shape and I recall being shocked that at 56 I needed a THR! I can't even imagine how you wrapped your head around it at age 28! You must be a very strong, positive minded man. Hope your recovery is going well! Congrats on your new pain free life :yes!: :cheers: !!
 
bsilvers. Keep up the good healing and hard work!!! I hear walking is the single most important thing to do!!!
 
i took it easy today, was more tired. I did make all the way down to the end of the wing and back. Probably too much as it tired me out and I took a 2 hour nap after that.. Going to do shorter more frequent trips to the nurses station and back. Got my bandages changed and they put on waterproof ones so I was able to take a shower and that was great! Dr. Pond said I should be released tomorrow and I'll have to give myself blood thinner shots once a day.. Or I should say Erika will be giving me the shots. lol.. This surgery stuff sure takes a lot of ya!
 
bsilvers Sounds like you are doing really well! Don't forget the mantra...rest, ice, elevate, medicate. Take your time! There's no rush. You have the rest of your life!
 
bsilvers, fantastic progress.. Going home soon..

I have provided some links to useful articles from the library for you to read when you are feeling up to it.

First the BoneSmart mantra
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Let the recovery begin! :)

"Disclaimer: All patients are different and have varying degrees of disability prior to surgery, as well as inherent differences in their overall capabilities. The outcomes described herein speak for the majority of patients with normal hip deterioration and average capabilities for their age group."
 
Hi Poppet, so gauging by the pictures there is no real elevation of the hips other than that you are lying down with pillows under my legs and then i ice my hips like that?

I can tell it's going to be a roller coaster as this morning and yesterday are totally different and I fully expect more days that I'm exhausted like yesterday. This morning i can feel my muscles screaming around my hips like, OMG WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME!!! so that's going to be a joy and I will want to avoid that pain
 
That's right bsilvers regarding the elevation.

Your muscles will scream, THR is a traumatic surgery.. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.. We have walked in your shoes, felt the same anxieties, frustrations and concerns, but we are testament to the fact that you do heal and recover, it just takes time, so lots of patience is required and don't rush your recovery. Your body is in charge of recovering, we just help it :)
 
I did a flight of stairs and a curb simulation this morning and I have been zipping around the halls. I'm getting released today and they told me I wouldn't have to do the blood thinner injections. Just pain meds and aspirin or something like that when I go home.. I'll get the official orders when I leave an let you guys know.. Overall today is a better day then yesterday, not as tired. Just need to make sure I don't over due it..
 
At home now. Already icing and elevating. Today is a good day so I'm expecting tomorrow to probably be a bad day. LOL.. So glad I'm home though as I was getting bored at the hospital. Looking forward to my progression and I should have my first in home PT tomorrow morning. Need to get my Hip flexors muscle strong again as the osteo arthritis stopped me from using them. Very excited about the future.
 
Wahoo! A major milestone going home bsilvers, good for you. So pleased you have activated the mantra, rest, elevate, ice etc... Wise!

I like the fact that you have the 'slow and steady' thought in your head.. It really will help your recovery. In the info I provided the second dot point about if it hurts, stop etc.. is a very important one. Don't feel pressured by a PT, you are in control, it is your body and it is ok to say no!
 
Listen to Poppet, bsilvers! She knows where of she speaks! And particular with a BTHR you need to be very mindful of what your body is doing - and what's being done to it!! Pushing your self to do more than feels good is a sure way to actually slow things down
 
Listening to your body is one of the key aspects for recovery :) [Bonesmart.org] KungFu/BJJ hips
 
So my home healthcare nurse and PT visited this morning. My hip flexors are super weak which I was aware of before from the OA and minimizing my range of motion. I am finding it very difficult now that I'm home not to over do it as I keep finding excuses to be on my feet so that will be and continue to be a challenge to stop myself. I still haven't had a bowel movement since Sunday so that is one of my high priority list to get accomplished. LOL i would have never thought I would heard or seem myself typing that.. LOL . how pathetic.. Then I'm still watching my right side incision as that one still seems to be slowly bleeding but not filing up the the whole bandage but not too much to be concerned yet but I wanted to keep an eye on it as that might be an issue too.. I know infection is the worst thing, i am not running a fever and only slightly feel some heat from that area. I have my home nurse's number in case it gets worse or filled. .. I think that is all, I have been elevating and icing.
 
I took a milk of magnesium concoction last night and a peralax mix this morning and that did it.. I already lost 4 lbs. LOL!
 
A glass of prune each day helps as well as lots of water. If you can get some hydrotherapy the warm water and the support will gently unwind those tight ligaments and muscles. Just remember its tiny amounts reguarly its not like normal gym where you may be a bit stiff the next day thats not good. The surgon may be skilled but as far as your body is concerend you've been hit by a flippen great big truck :yikes:. Its only here that I remember I had both hips replaced 10 months ago :yay:.
 
Welcome to the good side Brian. Keep up the great work. Yes, energy drain is a biggie after this surgery. Rest, rest and more rest!
 
So tough to just rest.. This is going to be my downfall.. You really don't realize how much you do get on your feet to do things out of habit
 
I started doing 1/2 work days this week as I can work from home. Had my bandages and staples removed this morning. Good days ahead..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom