TKR kneeper's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful update, Kneeper! Things are getting better and better as time goes on, aren't they? Those milestones, like working in the garden, are so great. Congratulations ! :thumb:

Mary-Pat
 
YEAH! Good for you on the stairs. As you get more comfortable on them, you'll feel better and more safe... Every milestone is big. :)
 
My big event today was that I was able to semi-crouch to pull some weeds this morning since we had a slight break in the heat for a few hours at least. I'm not a big gardener, but it felt great to get out there even for 15 minutes or so to give it a try. :yahoo:

:thumb: Congrats on the gardening! Gardening has been my passion for many years but I had to give it up last year because of knee pain. Really, I haven't been able to take good care of my huge garden since about 2008 because of my knee. Last week, for the first time since my TKR on 5/16, I spent some time pulling weeds and pruning shrubs! It did feel great!
 
That's just wonderful, Kate!!! Congratulations.
 
:thumb: Congrats on the gardening! Gardening has been my passion for many years but I had to give it up last year because of knee pain. Really, I haven't been able to take good care of my huge garden since about 2008 because of my knee. Last week, for the first time since my TKR on 5/16, I spent some time pulling weeds and pruning shrubs! It did feel great!
Congrats on getting back into the gardening you love!

I'm hoping to take a walk tomorrow b/c it's not supposed to be quite so hot. The exercise bike is good, but I enjoy walking outside more. But I'm a wimp about heat.
 
Take care Kate, know how humid it is in FL. It is such a beautiful green state! Glad you are getting to do some gardening now.
 
I've been feeling pretty good and have gotten out for a couple of 15 minute walks (in addition to the exercise bike for about 15-20 minutes; and heel slides etc)and will work my way up to longer ones. The knee feels kind of stiff, but the pre-surgery bone on bone agony is gone when walking.

Maybe i should be doing more:scratch:

I feel like as I can do more, I will get stronger and the exercise will help me take off a few pounds. (I could stand to lose about 30 ultimately). I was at nearly zero activity the months before the surgery b/c of the pain. :(

I still get tired and some days nap--but that may be the fibro or RA more than from the surgery.


I'm a bit disappointed that my ROM is still under 110, but I feel like I'm functioning better all the time and my PT is encouraging. he says my gait is improving and I'm getting stronger. :yay:

Getting back to work will be a true test. I have some work I can start doing at home, but will have to gradually put in some hours at work in the next couple of weeks. Luckily I have almost a month before classes start and I'm going full tilt.
 
At 11 weeks out I can understand your disappointment but remember that you are over the magic line and it's just a matter of time for you to keep gaining. Is the seat on your bike down good and low as that will be a good aid to flexion.
 
It's a recumbent or semi-recumbent exercise bike. I do have the seat fairly far forward--I think it's at a "normal" distance now compared to where I started.
I will just try to keep on keeping on.
 
Then budge it up a bit so your knee has to bend. If it's comfortable right now, you're not reaping maximum benefit.
 
^thanks. The knee does have to bend at the current setting. But actually before I saw your message, I did move it up a tad this AM because I thought maybe it was getting a bit too comfortable at that setting & could bend even more. great minds. :snork: It was a little uncomfortable before & a bit more now. But if it helps me with the bend it's worth it.
Maybe I have to push myself a bit more than I have been. :redface:
 
In PT with the recumbent exercise bike, each session I would move the seat forward in increments. So everytime it started getting comfortable, I'd slide forward a bit... I still do that at the gym.
 
Good news/bad news update:

I worked in the garden for about an hour yesterday and my knee was a bit sore after--but feels pretty good today.

But it's the *old* knee that is paying today.

Guess that means the new knee is now officially the "good" knee!
 
Yep, that's how it works. But don't get disheartened. Many times the unoperated knee flares up for a while as a result of having to pick up the slack post-op and then settles down to be fine.
 
I had my checkup with the OS PA this week. I'm to continue with my home exercises to continue to build strength and flexion, but otherwise things are looking :thumb:
I find it still helps to take at least one dose of tylenol during the day alternating with my naproxen. When I've laid off the tylenol I really feel the stiffness type pain creeping back. But it's manageable.
speaking of which, it's about time for a dose and some stairs practice :old:
 
Great report!!! Keep up the good work.....
 
Well, I'm putting in half days at work this week and then full tilt next week.

I'm doing steps without the cane--though very carefully & with the railing especially on the way down. It has been a bit slow in coming--partly b/c of needing the confidence--but it's getting there.
(Just had to share that milestone b/c I know you guys "get" how exciting these little victories are.) :o
 
Whoop! Whoop!!!! Yahoo!!! Those first independent steps ARE priceless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom