Guest viewing is limited

TKR kneeper's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've now driven my car for two short excursions! :yahoo:I still feel like I need the cane for walking any distance (not around the house) and for steps (partly b/c the "good" knee isn't great on steps) but the OS said that's ok for now.

I still get pretty tired and need to rest during the day (and ice) but I feel like I'm on an upswing.

Just had to share. :redface:

off to rest & ice now:sleepz:
 
Kneeper that is great! How does driving work for you? I have to scoot the chair up close, but sometimes still have to use my left foot for the break. Cruise control is great. I just don't like to be in the car too long. Have any ideas? Glad for you for the upswing in progress! Hugs, Ann
 
I know exactly how you feel! Your independence is awesome; but after driving a little, you can get worn out---I was amazed at how tired I was just by taking a short trip to the auto-parts store!

You are moving forward and wisely icing /elevating/resting too! Great post!
 
WooHoo! Driving is a big milestone, Kneeper! Glad to hear that you are taking it easy afterwards. Slow but steady wins the race, as they say :thumb:
 
I carried my cane around with me for months even though I knew I didn't need it! Like a security blanket!
[Bonesmart.org] kneeper's done!
 
I'm with Josephine on the cane issue. I carried mine well past needing it. I had to intenionally leave it my Jeep some months ago. I just can't bring myself to remove it from the Jeep now.
 
That's a great report, kneeper.....you're really doing well. For me, driving was an especially sweet moment.
 
SHHH!!!! My walker is hiding in my trunk!! :hysterical:
 
Kneeper that is great! How does driving work for you? I have to scoot the chair up close, but sometimes still have to use my left foot for the break. Cruise control is great. I just don't like to be in the car too long. Have any ideas? Glad for you for the upswing in progress! Hugs, Ann

I can put the seat up to a normal distance for driving and don't have a problem with the pedals--but I've only done short trips in town so far--maybe 10-15 minutes each way. my sense is I'd be getting sore with longer trips. I do move the seat back for getting in and out at this point.

I carried my cane around with me for months even though I knew I didn't need it! Like a security blanket!
[Bonesmart.org] kneeper's done!

I think that's a lot of it. I had a couple of falls in the year or so before the surgery--no major injuries, but scary (that I now think were probably due in large part to the unstable knee)--so I'm kind of afraid of wiping out. :eek: Particularly on stairs. Though really, now the new knee is much more stable. I think the new knee is becoming the "good" knee more and more.
for me it seems like it's the going *down* stairs normally that is iffy.

I think I'll just keep trying a bit more each day and build my strength and confidence.


Thanks for the great comments everyone.
 
Down stairs is hard for me too. Carefully I go down with cane, and holding onto the rail. I put the weak knee down first as they showed me in rehab. However, I am so careful cause I keep feeling like the weaker knee is going to buckel and cause me to fall. I'm getting better, but it will take awhile. Unfortunately we have 8 steps in front of our house. Yep, they are there EVERY day! :sigh:
 
Not to worry, OG. It took me about 8-10 weeks to down stairs properly.
 
Stairs worried me for a bit too. 5 up to the front door. 5 down to the living room, or 9 up to the bedroom. When I bought the split level home 5 years ago, I certainly never expected to live in it with disabilities!!!
 
Gait continues to be an issue for me. :( I really have trouble getting the heel down first. I'm not sure if it's tight muscles or ankle issues from the RA or what. (I also think my gait has been off for years)
(though I feel like I'm walking better than before the surgery)

I'm wondering what people have done that helps with gait. Exercises, just keep practicing?
 
Kneeper, I was wondering if you can fully straighten your knee at this point. If your extension is more than a few degrees, it is more difficult to fully place your foot on the floor. Many people have said that walking slowly and consciously using a heel-toe stride helped their gait improve. Do you still go to PT? Because they could analyse your gait and give specific tips for your particular situation.

I'm glad that you are walking better than before and, hopefully, soon you will be walking perfectly :biggrin:

Mary-Pat
 
Keeper in my thread I talked about the walking practice I had today. I still look down too much I am sure my PT would say. But trying to relax and taking my time seem to help a lot. Keep up the practice. hugs, Ann
 
Thanks waterbaby & OG. I think I'm at about 3 degrees & can get a bit better with effort. I will ask the PT for more tips. It may just need practice.
 
for me it seems like it's the going *down* stairs normally that is iffy.

I have stairs to climb and on the way down it's an adventure for me always. If I've been on my feet for quite awhile I have to take the baby steps down. If it's just a quick up and down, then I do pretty well without the handrail although I do think how fun it would be to just sit and slide down. :th_heehee:
 
Go down with the bad and up with the good. I have learned for me to put the weaker one close to the stair back when going down and keep the knee locked straight as I can and really bend the good knee as I move it quickly down to the other one. I don't know if this makes sense or not. I really hate stairs too!
 
It's getting harder to tell which is the "good" knee now--which is a good sign. :wink1: Going Up stairs foot over foot is getting progressively easier as I practice a bit every day. I'm also practicing going down with the old leg first a bit every day and I think that's improving a bit.
So I do feel like I will be able to achieve doing stairs normally eventually. I'm not putting a deadline on it--i think if I just work on it progressively it will come.

My big event today was that I was able to semi-crouch to pull some weeds this morning since we had a slight break in the heat for a few hours at least. (knee bends etc are pretty difficult & painful in large part b/c of problems with the "good" knee. ) I'm not a big gardener, but it felt great to get out there even for 15 minutes or so to give it a try. :yahoo:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom