TKR kneeper's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staples are out! Everything looked good at the post op check. :ok: Got to see the new knee on the xray. I'd never know that stuff is in there.
It felt good to have an outing, but I did want a nap later. :sleepz:
 
Awsome. I found that my skin was not as thight once the staple were out. It has been 4 week now and I have some little holes that have almost all dissapeared.

Don't hesitate to nap, I found that I feel much better and so does my knee when I nap after PT. We lack so much sleep because of the nights not being as restfull as they should be! Have a good snooze:sleepz:
 
Sounds really good, Kneeper. And naps are necessary and so good for you right now. Enjoy!
 
^yes, I feel a bit better every day. yesterday I napped extensively early in the day to prep for a friend visiting later on and that worked pretty well.

My PT is very encouraging and doesn't seem obsessed with ROM measurements--just that I'm doing my bit and making progress. I do like the structure of working with a PT a couple of times per week.

My muscles are still really tight and sore--though better than last week. Anyone else have that problem? Would it be because the OS did some correction of the valgus issue? Still the "angry tissue stage?" I've been using the heating pad a little on the thigh muscle (away from the knee) and calf, which seems to help a bit.
Thoughts?
 
Sounds like it could very well be angry soft tissue/muscle issues. I use the heating pad on the upper thigh and my calf to help with the tight/sore feeling there and use ice on the knee area front AND back. In fact, there is something so soothing about doing both the heating and the icing simultaneously - I really like it.
 
kneeper you are only a few weeks out from surgery and it's definitely angry tissues. My whole leg was bruised and sore for a few months from all the tugging, pulling, sawing and of course the tourniquet. I used moist heat on my leg and had deep tissue massage weekly after the first month. It really helped.
 
Kneeper, it sounds like you are doing fine. Listen to the fine people here. I did nothing on PT days but go home and rest, for the 1sy 4 weeks. Save the exercises for the off-PT days. I just went back to PT after 10 days off (went away)....2 days in a row. I walked my usual 2.5 miles after day 1, but rested after day 2, just doing stuff in the house. Today (day 3) I walked 3 miles. I am 2 months out, and still need to ice and elevate, and rest! It was (is!) hard for me to accept that I am not back to myself yet. Time is the best healer. Continue to do well!
 
Thanks, everyone. I will continue with the heat/cold.

The knee swelling is down quite a bit from what it was--and I intend to keep it that way. :)
I try to ice and elevate after any activity--PT exercises, CPM or walking out for the mail and doing a couple of trips up and down the driveway. Not all at once, of course. :biggrin: And of course, I don't miss out on the lovely naps. :sleepz:
 
Naps are indeed a good thing. You have found the correct formula---just keep icing and elevating, and while you do that, nap a little, too!

I also used a heating pad to loosen up both my quads and my hamstrings before I got into stretching or PT. Athletes do warm their muscles up by jogging, but since we cannot do that, a heating pad works just fine.

Keep up the great efforts!
 
Sounds like your doing everything right and that you have a sensible PT. Little doses of moving around, rest, ice, elevation, gentle ROM, and adequate pain meds. I would certainly rely on your PT's assessments each time. This is definitely a recovery that must be adjusted day by day. Respect your knee and it will reward you. Remember too there will be good days and sometimes bad so don't be discouraged when the roller coaster dips. This is a long marathon ride.

Welcome to the other side and keep us posted. The journal idea is also good so you can see your progress. Especially when you are not sure you have progressed.

I would include heel slides in your daily routine.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
Left knee manipulated 05/13/2011
 
I'm pretty excited that I made it to 90 degrees today. I might be slower than others, but I seem to be increasing every time the PT measures. So making progress keeps me motivated.

I have a few more days with the cpm and that seems to help keep things looser. I'm trying the cane around the house more and more I still need to hang onto the walker in the AM, being so stiff & with my "good" knee being stiff too-- and when I'm tired or for going outside.

My mom was a "star" with the ROM when she had her tkr so I think she thinks I'm slacking. :sigh: I try to remember she didn't also have RA and fibro and I shouldn't be comparing anyway.

Bonesmart has been a godsend with the advice from people who've been there and experts like Josephine. I'm so glad I happened upon it those months ago.
 
Kneeper - your ROM is fantastic! Your progress is excellent, especially with the RA and fibro. Wow, you are not even 1 month out from your surgery. I say keep doing what you're doing - because it's obviously working :thumb:
 
Keeper you are doing great! Just hearing about the naps makes me want to go take one now! lol The icing is helping so much. I just got out my staples on Wednesday and it feels great. You are doing good. Take is easy and resting and doing exercise as you wisely can. Hugs, Ann
 
kneeper....I agree that you are doing really well. Keep it going and just tune your mom out (like when you were 16 :snork:).
 
You are doing just fine for YOU! No sense comparing yourself to others. Keep up the good work, and NAPS are awesome!!!
 
My mom was a "star" with the ROM when she had her tkr so I think she thinks I'm slacking. :sigh:

There's only one YOU and your body will heal at YOUR rate. Your knee has been devastated by surgery and your emotions are running high because of the healing and the pain pills, so please take that into consideration when you are feeling down about your progress. You are healing a little bit each day and one day you'll wake up and realize just how wonderful your body is at repairing a new joint. You'll be able to do things without the chronic, debilitating pain that you have known. :thumb:
 
I'm pretty excited that I made it to 90 degrees today. I might be slower than others, but I seem to be increasing every time the PT measures. So making progress keeps me motivated. .

Oops, that was 90 in the CPM. but I was 85 when the PT measured me sitting, so I thought that was pretty good.
The other PT measures laying down and that was more like 80 today.:cry4:

thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have 2 more weeks before I see the doc and think I can get at least 90 by then if I can continue at this pace. I certainly want to avoid an MUA if possible.

I think my energy is coming back a bit more and so I feel up to doing more. So that's got to help,right?

Don't worry--I'm not giving up my naps though. :hysterical:

i just love having this place where people get it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom