TKR kneeper's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeper you are doing great! Just hearing about the naps makes me want to go take one now! lol The icing is helping so much. I just got out my staples on Wednesday and it feels great. You are doing good. Take is easy and resting and doing exercise as you wisely can. Hugs, Ann
Yeah, getting the staples out is great isn't it? Did they put those strips on you? The next milestone was when those all finally fell off. Definitely helps you feel more normal.
 
I maxed the CPM machine at 115 I think it was. But in therapy I couldn't break 105. There is a lot of extra motion in the CPM for your leg to move around. But use it as long as your doctor wants you to. I know one of the happiest days for me was the day the rental guy came and picked up that blasted torture device, er um, CPM machine... Which meant I was progressing nicely!

My home PT measured me sitting in a chair. My outpatient PT measured me laying flat on my back. He was quite particular about placement for measuring to be consistent...

As you feel better, your energy comes up. Again though, don't do too much at a time. And rest when you can.
 
Hi, Kneeper. Did you know that you can trim the loose ends of the steri strips as they lift off and flap in the breeze?:th_heehee: I did that and I think it might have helped the process along, plus it just looks tidier...
 
Steri strips are entertainment in itself. I watched mine get ready for lift off and my little sheltie would stick his needle nose on one and off it go!
 
Steri strips are entertainment in itself. I watched mine get ready for lift off and my little sheltie would stick his needle nose on one and off it go!
:th_heehee:

I'm almost totally on the cane now! Definitely makes me feel like I'm making progress. No increase in ROM at the last measure yesterday, but I wonder if I slowed myself down by sitting up w/out elevating for too long on Sunday & so upped the swelling a bit. :(

On another topic, I sometimes get what feels like either a muscle spasm or something almost catching way up on the lower leg almost to where the knee bends & kind of to the outside. It makes it painful to bend the knee, but the pain isn't in the knee itself. I've had that before the surgery and had happen it this morning. :hissyfit: I kind of knead it and put heat on it and work it and it eventually eases up. does anyone else get that? Do you know what that is? :scratch:
 
Yes, your Sunday activity could have resulted in swelling. Get back on the program of frequent icing and elevating along with those pain meds. It really helps.

You know....you are not even a month out from your TKR. It is so common at this early stage of recovery to get odd aches and pains as all your parts get used to each other. I wouldn't worry about it and just keep doing what you're doing.
 
Just feeling frustrated today. I'm getting around better with the cane, but still not hitting 90 degrees. The knee seems to swell easily & feel stiff.
Trying to find the balance between keeping it moving & icing and elevating is tough.

I was supposed to go somewhere with friends tomorrow, but that would involve several hours without elevating. I'm thinking maybe I should bail so I don't set myself back.

Maybe I'm getting the post op moodiness...
 
Quite possibly. But giving the outing a miss might be a good idea if your leg is swelling easily.
 
Is the outing something you can leave early from? Surely if you have to skip it, your friends will fully understand.
 
Thanks everyone. I took it easy most of the day & my friends accommodated me and things went well on Friday. It was good to get out.

Had a bit of a victory today--I have a tub shower & managed to get out leading with the operated leg! (of course hanging on to something--but still...)
So I think the bend must be improving slightly. And I'm making it up and down my stairs on my own more confidently. Just had to share. :blush:
 
SWEET! Still, be careful. But every small step is a good step!
 
Yes, THAT machine left 2 days ago. It was like a party! The PT measures me sitting at 114 and 0 on the extension. This is still not an "easy" measure. When it is; then I will feel really good about it. I do see progress. It is amazing how so much of this ties into DOING TOO MUCH. :th_heehee: I have rested a lot today. Stayed in, no church, nada, nothing. I have done exercises 3 times today and iceed 3 times. I feel some of my ROM is coming easier. My PT said the dr puts on some kind of clear stuff on the suture site to hold them down the strips better, but a week to 10 days should be enough time. My husband was in there and he remembers him doing that. I was just so glad to get through the little ouchies to have the staples out! Take care of yourself Keeper and Zjrog. Hugs, Ann
 
way to go Ann!
 
WEll, I feel like I'm still behind schedule, but I do feel like I'm making progress. Daily activities are easier & PT seemed to go well this week. With some effort I was measured at 92. This is a lot better than where I started--and better than last week. I'm hoping I don't get scolded by the doc next week for lack of ROM. It's not like I'm not trying. :sigh:

Based on where my "good" knee is, I'd bet my ROM pre-surgery was only about 115. Does that have any effect on post op ROM or do you start with a "clean slate?"
 
If your muscles are not used to the ROM, then it will be harder for you to get it. Compare your ROM to what it was before, and consider it a great accomplishment that you got back "your" ROM. once this becomes easier, then you can certainly push it a bit. I think it might be unrealistic for you to think that you will have full ROM if you didn't have it in the 1st place. I had full ROM pre op and had it back at 3 months post-op. Unfortunately, I have lost some of it with my angry knee and my setback, but I'm not sweating it. Whatever my knee wants me to do is where I'll be.
Best,
Sandy
 
Anything over 90 is okay at 4 weeks and plenty of time yet to increase it. I doubt he'll scold you!
 
I think that your recovery is going well, Kneeper! Getting your flexion past 90 is a milestone, and you have done that! Just look ahead to steady improvement over time (especially if you still have a fair bit of swelling/inflammation right now). My docs have told me that RA can sometimes slow the pace of healing but that the end result can be just as good - we just might take a bit longer to get there.
 
Having a good week this week. I've gained a couple of degrees and am moving around better and the pain levels are manageable. I think following Bonesmarties' advice about icing, elevating & resting in between activities is helping. The knee has its own schedule, i think.

I try not to notice the "stars" at PT who have more ROM than I do and are earlier in the process. :tantrum2: :biggrin: The main thing is that i'm progressing.
 
I try not to notice the "stars" at PT who have more ROM than I do and are earlier in the process. :tantrum2: :biggrin: The main thing is that i'm progressing.

This is exactly what I try to do : look at MY progress. As long as there is progress this means I am recovering and moving forward in rehab. That is the only important thing. Focussing on what goes well is much better for the moral!:thumb:
I look at all sorts of stuff, strenght (I can climb 2 stairs then 3), I took less meds because I was feeling better, I walked the grocery store and did not have to ice when I came back....All the little positive changes that you notice help you in believing that you are in deed recovering and that there will be a much better life than beofore the surgery!:wink1:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom