Guest viewing is limited

Kneeper will do it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, some people are destined never to get more. That's life.

These are degrees of flexion regarded as being necessary for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces.
 
Yeah, it's not like I'd be missing anything I've had for quite a while. I probably just overanalyze. :)
 
Don't get me wrong--I can be satisfied with 115 but of course it would be nice to have a bit more.

By the time I had my RTKR in September, 2013, I could barely walk and my ROM was in the 70's. It is now around 130 and got there pretty fast with diligent PT. I am up to do my left knee next month.
 
Wow that is interesting Josephine. My flexion is fixed at 10 to 15 degrees at the moment. I can manage to pick small light objects off the floor by bending from my waist forwards or sidewards. I can do my shoelaces up if my leg is horizontal, ie on the footstool or bed. I suppose you adapt to what you have. I really miss not being able sit with my foot down on the floor or sitting up to a table.
 
yes, we can be quite creative can't we? And one knee doesn't necessarily predict the other.
 
Remember that your pre-op ROM is the best predictor of your post-op ROM. If you were stiff for many years pre-op, then it is harder to achieve full ROM compared to a patient that had excellent pre-op motion.

Orthodoc
 
Thanks @Orthodoc. That's what I figured. So I won't feel disappointed if I keep the ROM I've got and any few more degrees would just be a bonus.
 
Best wishes kneeper. It will feel good to have both surgeries behind you and moving forward to less pain and more motion.
 
Yeah, the fact that it hurts just to use the exercise bike reminds me I'm making the right decision.
 
Good luck in June! I too have to decided when to have my right other knee done. I will be looking forward to your posts!
 
The pain with activity is what got me to get my other knee done. I went to the grocery store and standing in line to pay for the groceries I was upset that my knee was hurting until I realized it was not my left knee hurting that had the replacement but my right knee. So, I said to myself this is crazy. I was scared, nervous and apprehensive but decided it was not worth it to be still limited by the other knee after going through a major surgery on the left knee. I had the right knee done and now can do grocery shopping without knee pain - also other things but considering how cold and icy it has been -have not done much other besides work and things around the house and of course riding my recumbent bike.
 
I've had a couple of friends already volunteer to coordinate taking me to PT etc. until I can drive. I'm hoping I can drive sooner than last time since it will be the left side this time. I am willing to accept the help, but I also don't want to impose too much.

I'm also thinking that part of why I have this chronic tendonitis issue around the quad in my operated knee is that I let them push me too hard in PT. I may wind up going to fewer PT appointments and doing even more of the Bonesmart way at home this time--so that could have the effect of needing to rely less on people for rides too.
 
I had home PT for about 4 weeks with both my knees and both therapists were great. With the second knee which was my right - I chose not to go to PT when the 4 wees were done. My flexion was at 120 and extension 0 and I had a recumbent exercise bike at home and bought ankle weights and my home PT gave me a list of exercises and exercise bands and showed me how to do them and I did them at home to rebuild strength. The right knee did great with that and it was much easier on me even as I could do them at the time of day where I felt the most peppy and not at a scheduled time. It is quite doable and plus you get to ice and elevate more than going somewhere and driving.

The left knee is much faster for driving aside from pain meds unless you have a standard. I played it safe and did not drive with the right for quite a while ab out 8 wks even though I was doing well just on a personal reason that I wanted to make sure I had enough strength for any quick braking that might be needed. I figured I did not want to worry about it and there was no huge need aside from my feelings of wow I drove at ___ wks. even after surgery. My pride survived intact and I felt much better. With the left knee I drove after about 4wks but not far -just to PT which at that point was tiring enough for me to come home happily and not want to go anywhere and get the knee more tired and me more tired.
 
Seeing that the May Marvels page is up makes me realize I'm getting closer. Probably in a couple of weeks I'll be getting the call to get all my pre-op appointments set up.
 
Congratulations on your date ! I would imagine the second one will be alot less mortifying than the first. You know exactly what to expect, for the most part. Thats great that you already have volunteers lining up . That will help. Id like to thank you for your spot on advice and encouragement you share with everyone . Are your still exercising your new(ish) knee, trying to get more flexion .?? I suppose its never too late . Best wishes .
 
Thanks. I do basic heel slides and stretches every day, mostly b/c my hamstrings get very tight. I don't know if I'm getting more ROM, but I think it helps keep things loose. And doing these I think is kind of like pre-hab for the other knee.
 
I found a great sale and bought a very comfy recliner! I "test drove" a number of them for length and ease of operation. It should be great for during my recovery. I'm loving it so far.
 
Good move, @kneeper. I still love my recliner---but I fear it is getting a bit "butt sprung" so may have to replace or repair in the near future.
 
I love my recliner and thank goodness I had it for both surgeries. Even now, I love it especially after work when my legs get tired and a bit swollen (not major but just enough to know there is swelling), it is so nice to sit down and elevate them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom