Kneeling

All I did for extention was stretching my knee between the chair with my foot on the ottoman, just a few times a day. It felt good for some reason.
 
Taking really long strides and walking heel to toe helped my extension. Hanging off the bed on your tummy with your thighs on the edge is another way. That one was pretty painful for me so I did the strides.
 
I am doing all three as the mood strikes. On PT days I do the bridge between icing, elevating, and walking on off days.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It'll come. For some reason extension for many of us was the last to come in. I hung around 10 for a while, but it didn't hinder my walking, so I worked on it gradually. It's just fine now!
 
It's only a short time since your surgery and it's not unusual for extension to take longer to achieve than flexion does. There's no need to worry about it, though. You have all the time in the world, since ROM - both flexion and extension - can continue to improve for a year or more after a TKR.
 
So went out to dinner with my wife tonight and enjoyed it. My knee is hyper sensitive to long pants, my incision is slmost completely scarred. I understand that this sensation may be a permanent thing, do I just get used to it or is there a trick to preventing the discomfort.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My sensitivity went away completely. I've not heard that it could be permanent. My PA told me early on that I could use something soft, like a dish towel to rub against it frequently and that would desensitize it. You could try that.
 
It should go away eventually. For me it took about 5-6 months before I could wear jeans comfortably. I even wore soft wide leg sweatpants (paired with nice sweaters) to school when I went back.
 
As KarriB suggested, you need to de-sensitize your knee. Start rubbing something soft over it and gradually work up to harsher materials. It's not something you are stuck with for life.
 
Sounds like you're doing fantastic. I get pretty tired too after a few hours of work but, it makes me feel so good, I keep plugging along. Elevation, ice & nap after are wonderful.
I do have the problem with focusing, too, so everything takes double the time to complete. I know that will get better with time if I can be patient. It's almost like I developed ADD. We can do this!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh yeah, that pain fog is really there after this surgery. I felt like I was in a daze all the time the first couple of months.
 
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170411_0c033c8f0a3d8286606bea8b3582705b.jpg
Week 8


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 80 and I plan in going to the beach. Can I put sun block on the scar, and enjoy a light sensible bake?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You can put sunblock on your knee as long as the scar is completely healed, with no scabs or open areas at all.. If it hasn't quite got there, cover your knee with some light material.
 
@dadman35 - I had LTKR on Jan. 3. My surgeon said to cover my scar with zinc when it's in the sun for the first year so it won't turn a darker colour than the rest of my skin. Some sun blocks contain zinc. Enjoy the beach and let us know how your knee does.
 
Enjoy! Recovering on the beach sounds wonderful.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I kept spf 30 on my knee for two summers. Reapply often.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom