MUA knee so stiff<<

Mine is a little better than before the surgery. I can ride my bike now, but still have to be careful when walking down hills. I have developed pain behind my knee, my extension isn't as good as it used to be and have pain when lifting it a certain way. So, you are among some of us that are disappointed in our overall outcome.
 
Thank you all for you replies and support. It's just before had op done. Yes my knee was painful but bearable. Now it's a lot worse, cannot walk more than 5 metres before pain sets in - leg swells up and feels like a heavy weight, perhaps all due to a very late diagnosed DVT. Extensive DVTs in main artery which nearly killed me. So serious Doctor who done ultra sound was so concern. He ordered a nurse to watch over me and did not leave. Rushed to hospital and treatment began! Now has developed into post thrombosis. Leg going white due to this poor circulation problems and could be added complications with this aspect as well.

My local GP has told me to be very wary of having the other leg done so maybe I will have to live with the pain with this leg. Walking at present with two walking sticks. Don't know how long I can put up with this. Maybe having to resort to a electric wheelchair.

Hopefully vascular surgeon will give words of encouragement though last time I saw him he was not full of encouragement. So people ask me it was all worth it - ??
 
Please let us know what the vascular surgeon says. I pray he will give you good news.
 
Sorry to hear of your vascular issues. I hope the vascular surgeon can help. :console2:
 
Extensive DVTs in main artery
Sorry to be picky here but this is incorrect. DVT stands for deep VEIN thrombosis so is nothing to do with the arteries! The condition that blocks arteries is called arteriosclerosis, meaning the clogging up of an artery with plaque. It is also known as hardening of the arteries. It looks like this

[Bonesmart.org] knee so stiff<<


There are things that can be done to reduce the risk of embolism, like this Pulmonary embolism, past history and Greenfield filters
 
Even a few months after my infection I was happy I had it done because the pain wasn’t the same or as intense. Now nearly 5 years later I have no pain when walking, riding a bike or swimming and very little when standing. But I didn’t have vascular issues.
 
Hope everyone is well
Been a long time since posted any comment - My knee replacement no better than 1 year ago but still ! thought I just mention that I am having the other knee done in May of this year:yikes: -the pain in knee very bad - it is Bone on bone - Xray shows no gap in knee joint- so its rubbing bone on bone- the reason for this posting is that after all the trials of the first knee i am really apprehensive about the on coming second knee . the surgeon said he going to be really careful with me :prayer:and that it may not be any better than my other replacement knee- so I guess lots of pre-tests coming up-
 
I'm sorry you have to go through another tkr, but you aren't the only one, so you'll have lots of company on here. I pray both of your knees become all you want them to be!
 
I think you will know enough to be gentle with this knee in the beginning, so it has a chance to heal before you start asking it to hold you up!!
 
Just quick question - I'm nearly 2 years post TKR - I'm finding my knee replacement gets extremely stiff and trouble bending it- though unfortunately too I can only bend knee to 90 % which don't help- spoke to hospital surgeon about this and was told I"m lucky to have this amount of bending and stiffness is normal ??? please could anyone say what cause this stiffness
 
Bland, did you see a vascular surgeon and did he/she offer any hope for that leg? I cannot understand why you have not had treatment for the blood clots and the subsequent damage. I know that Jo has offered a suggestion or two, but I am not sure that you have sought a solution through a vascular surgeon. Your knee's lack of bend has really very little to do with the TKR and Everything to do with the DVT.

I hope the same surgeon is not doing your other knee since he ignored the symptoms of DVT last time and did not seek treatment early on for your DVT. I am so sorry that you have suffered like this. I will say one thing, my husband walked with two sticks for quite a while. When he finally changed to a walker with a seat, he was so much happier. He had a walker with four wheels and handbrakes. It was so much easier for him to walk with the walker.
 
Thankyou for all your kind reply's it is being followed up - seen the knee surgeon last week and now got an urgent appointment and operation scheduled to do the other knee at end of month total 4 weeks wait - this is the quickest I known has there is a waiting list of 18 weeks under the NHS. Though I must admit this time around I am very worried considering the complications I had with previous knee :sos:
 
Got a date for new knee on the other leg its the 24th April and must admit alittle worried about it. though the pain is excruciating at the moment even when dosed up with pain killers , nearly driving me to tears .
 
Wishing you all the best this time around!
 
Hello @bland9

Please will you tell us which knee is being replaced in April, so we can edit your signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:
 
@Celle Its is my right knee - Been booked into Spire Hospital on the 24th April 7,15 am to be done and hopefully after more tests due 18th April ie blood test -urine etc . it will be given the go ahead for that day, and cannot wait to get rid of the pain I am in at the moment- abet with some apprehension
 
Thank you for that information I've added "Right" and "Left" to your signature.
 
Just being curious - had my pre op assessment bloods /urine/ etc and all seems well but got to attend another blood test week before op - what is this one for :shrug:
 
It might be to assess your bleeding and clotting times, so your surgeon can plan the medication he'll use, to try and prevent you from getting a DVT this time round.
That's just a guess on my part.

I assume you've discussed with your surgeon your history of getting a DVT last time round?
 
Thankyou @Celle - I must be really curse days before my surgery My hydrocele/ Epididymis has got inflamed and painful now on antibiotics for 10 days feel like crying- don't know if this will cause delay. obvious will contact Surgeon this monday
 
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom