MUA knee so stiff<<

What a great report @bland9. 115 is excellent ROM for this point in your recovery.:egypdance: Glad you will have an opportunity to wait a bit before having #2 done. I am hoping I can wait at least a year as I am not mentally ready and I still want to keep my focus on knee #1.

today went into town for just two hours but boy it was so painful resulting in many sitting down on stores seating , I'm laying on bed in afternoon to rest the leg has it really do hurt , plus the in un-op knee is painful putting to much weight on it , the feeling like knee will split open if I bend it enough is back again so I realise its inflamed though the knee is not swollen like it use to be , my foot is swollen though not sure why this is ? just got to remind myself I still in early stages of recovery but intending to return to work early September make me wonder how I going to cope guess I will see,

What type of job do you return to and can you do a phased return instead of full time right away?

I know I'm overdoing it but 11 weeks post op I'm still having trouble standing on legs too long before having to sit down . still on both crutches , both of my heels hurt, though cannot feel frustrated with some of my fellow sametimers tkrs had there knees done at my hospital are walking freely ,playing sports :tennis2: me I'm still resting feeling no spark never mind light at end of tunnel :elevate:, I know its a long journey but still frustrating on my part

It is frustrating!
You have every right to feel that. Not everyone heals at the same speed. In addition to the TKR you and I had at about the same time, by the way, you also had a major upheavel with your mum passing away. The soul needed to heal too so your body was having a harder time anyway.
You do know that attitude plays a huge role in healing aswell. What I'm trying to convey is that I too set myself back because I was always second guessing my decision. Were it not for my DH who always reminded me how limited I was with my old knee I would have never gotten out of that deep hole. ( and the clunking still leads me to the edge)
The hurting heels may be something else. Did you try new shoes? I was reminded that if my feet hurt after 3 weeks post op, it might be good to get shoes with new soles, as one's gait changes.
Sleep is also a major factor. deep sleep...not only naps, though naps really help me keep going.
Otherwise I would be so frustrated too. Pace yourself.
Am sure that there will be a few more replies to cheer you on.

My recovery was very similar. I had heel pain and a very painful time standing and walking distances. I had trouble standing for any length of time until I started walking. That's the biggest positive I've noticed from walking, I can stand without pain in both my natural (but gimpy knee) and my TKR. I do wish I had started walking short distances sooner than I did.

But remember, you're just 11 weeks into a year long recovery. It's never a good idea to compare knees, every knee is different, every recovery is different.

just a little moan to all you who knows how it feel, but after 11 weeks I expect to see a little improvement to my new knee but No , still find it difficult to walk without crutches, my leg still bent with a terrible tight band feeling , pain at night last night just managed two hours, and just think back at work though reduced hours in two weeks:gaah:

I was still using a cane at 11 weeks, but never used crutches. If you are over doing things with actvity your knee may be letting you know.

Hi KarriB@ not sure if overdoing it just a simple walk results in pain. No swelling but real tight banding across knee. Walking with a bent knee (NOT straighten out since op), does not help. I spoke previously to PT she said just continue with exercises and that was it. No more PT as I was only given 8 PTs and then discharged so on my own now. That's reason why still on crutches pain is bad at times,

How far are you Walking and did Josephine ask you her questions she yet? She can often tell what the problem is by your answers.

Hi KarriB@ not sure if overdoing it just a simple walk results in pain , no swelling but real tight banding across knee, walking with a bent knee ( NOT straighten out since OP ) does not help. I spoke previously to PT she said just continue with exercises and that was it, no more PT has I was only given 8 PTs and then discharged so on my own know, that's reason why still on crutches pain is bad at times,

I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you.

Thanks @Celle!

@bland9 Can you answer these questions (AGAIN!!) for me please?

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

and after all that, please tell me where your pain is using this chart

knee-references-horz.jpg

Hi Josephine@ thankyou for you support again
Answer 1 --- pain level 4/6
Answer 2 --- Solpadol 500mg - 2 tablets twice daily = 2000mg/ Doctor also gave me tramadol but had adverse effect with these so do not take them
Answer 3--- moderate
Answer 4--- 115 at a push not sure the measurement for straight leg though can get full of my hand underneath when laying down
Answer 5--- Only when needed
Answer 6 --- elevating night time only by your given method during day resting the leg by laying on bed
Answer 7---- to be honest helping to decorate a house but with lots of sitting down and for 2/3 hours only per day , though a 20 minute walk to the house and 20 minute walk back home

Answer 8--- no exercises at all
Answer 9-- D- LF4 = C- LF4
A10- also to mention my left foot only is very swollen not the right one that's normal size , seen doctor about this she was not that interested about the swelling , its part of the course she said ?

Last edited:
Heres moaning mike back again, am I the only one :blackcloud: who at this present time regret having knee done , I been resting all day today leg evaluated most of day and its still hurt and front of knee sore, foot very swollen , all it is at present is pain , pain, surely after 3 month-ish pain should subside alittle, phone my surgeon but told Ive been discharged and cannot get advice from him so now got to visit GP now and all I get is its part of the course with TKR, really envious of others who say they doing well, and top it all my right knee due to putting more weight on this is hurting so not doing very well at moment:elevate:

I can tell you I was back at work at 3 months, but 30 minutes to an hour on my feet had my knee stiffening up and aching. It took another couple of months to feel normal.

Like Kneeper I went back to work, but just mornings only because my OS felt all day on my legs would be too much. I spent most afternoons elevating and when I went back full time at 18 weeks post op I still needed to elevate after work and often iced on my way home. My OS warned that it could take a whole year to feel 100% recovered.

strange feeling today is that had similar pain in new Op knee than I had in before the op , pain in the knee cap area at just below bottom knee cap and right hand side of left knee (op knee) , similar to the pain on my un-op knee ( knee to be done ) anyone had this feeling, also my tooth thought dentist has fix is a pain again today and will have to come out but afraid because my dentist or Dr do not give antibiotics so will have to pray no infections etc

You are less than 1/3 of the way of a year long recovery. You will find that you will have aches and pains in all kinds of different places on and around your knee!

@sistersinhim Yes you are right. I still at early days yet and its going to take time. It just felt weird that I should had experienced the same sensations on my new knee has with my old knee, felt like it did post op . Thank you

@Celle the information helpful though can be confusing when reading early articles on website not so long ago that relates how bacteria from mouth though open wounds can affect the new knee prosthesis and incidents that were enough for surgeons and dentist to recommend antibiotics.

Then suddenly there not enough evidence to warrant issuing antibiotics. Was the research early on misguided or not enough in-depth study? Makes you wonder if the same can be applied now and the academia world could be misguided.

I know how antibiotics can be the torment of many ie C-Diff and resistant , perhaps we now are the new guinea pigs to test this new study

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back