Guest viewing is limited

MUA knee so stiff<<

I don't think we're guinea pigs at all. It's been proved that the bacteria that live in your mouth are not th ones that cause infections in a knee replacement.

Celle@ the information helpful , though can be confusing when reading early articles on website not to long ago that relates how bacteria from mouth though open wounds can effect the new knee prosthesis , and incidents was was enough for surgeons and dentist to recommend antibiotics
Please can tell me which are the articles where you've read this? The article I sent you is not exactly new, as the report and its recommendations were published in 2012. It wasn't a sudden decision.
 
Just thought I asked all is that over the last 3 /4 weeks especially my left foot is very swollen, my leg is still swollen so maybe its related to leg ie knee but has has remained swollen whether evaluating. icing , , has anyone else experienced this. its not red etc
 
today really pleased went for longish walk OP knee was very good very stiff but no pain but the Un-0P leg which needs to be done in future and that's what I thought and told the Surgeon, but I realised during this walk, this un -op knee is extremely painful burning pain, guess been putting to much weight on it and I made a mistake by putting it off has could hardly put any weight on it , so will have to return to Dr and he will have contact surgeon to make another appointment for this knee to be done , and whats worry me is that I having to return to work next week,
 
You don't sound like you are ready to return to work especially a standing job, go back to go and get another 4 weeks, there shouldn't be a problem especially as you still have so much swelling and pain plus the lack of sleep. I found using awalkerfrom the very beginning better than crutches and I do the heel to toe walks which have really helped me, I am only 6 1/2 weeks in not sleeping, just got an infection from one stick that had not dissipated and was put on antibiotics last night, there are always surprises on tjisjourney, in saying that the surprises can also be good ones, that terrible heat on my knee has gone away the last couple of days, still warm but not hot. I too went over to tramadol at about week 3 - 4 it has been okay eith me but I only take one at night with two paracetamol and a herbal nytol, still no sleep but relaxed... I hope you are doing good today really really reconsider going back to work especially as you are putting more weight on the "good" but not do good knee x
 
Was the research early on misguided or not enough in-depth study? Makes you wonder if the same can be applied now and the academia world could be misguided. perhaps we now are the new guinea pigs to test this new study
It's more a case of how much the science has advanced than any research being misguided. Lacking any evidence to the contrary it was assumed (not proven) that oral flora could be responsible but nowadays, with electron microscopes and such, we are becoming much more knowledgeable about these things. But I can assure you this is not a "new study" but the results of years of researching existing articles and medical records that has led them to make such a statement. Surgeons who are still advising the prophylactic treatment are way behind the times.
 
@Josephine thankyou for your helpful advice and information , I have learn a lot through your very informative /helpful website , it certainly made me research into all information and I learn so much, without you and all on Bonesmart I would had remained ignorant and in the dark ages,
 
@Milosnanna anna thankyou for you kind reply , I am now on just one walking stick which is not quite right for me so ordered a new one which is the correct height etc for me, and my new knee is just now getting better very little pain . though swelling still there but that's to be expected, its just my un -op knee what is the problem . my surgeon did say before my op said I got bone on bone in both knees and I was given the choice to select the knee to be done first, so I agree that I putting weight on the un op knee which don't help and now I got burning pain in that knee and I can hardly stand on it, :bawl: I was hoping to wait a least 6 mths before having the second knee done has I had a bad journey with first knee but its looking like my right knee op coming up sooner than expected , though in some ways feel more prepared now than before, though hoping to have a spell at work first because do not think the place I am working at is going to look very favourably at me taking even more time off,:old:
 
Don't know if I'm doing right but return to crutches not because new op knee is playing up is that I been putting weight on other leg and now its burning pain, guess cannot do to much harm , feel so bad because my healing seems so slow :beg:, made appointment to see Dr this Thursday to see where to go next , should I have other knee done soon or wait has I plan to do :scratch:
 
back to work OP Health stated I go back one day on and one day off for two weeks then back has normal from then onm, I'm afraid in this country having knees done seems no big deal to OP Health workers
 
11 weeks Post Op and been helping brother with small jobs though plenty of sitting down, but boy I'm in so much pain Replacement knee and its so stiff I can hardly bend it, at this timeline I really thought it would be a lot better than this :dead: and now my In-op leg is excoriating pain, so much so I try to call my surgeon to get this in op leg replaced I cannot continue with this amount of pain , has anyone felt like this at this stage, also saw my Dr and all he done was laugh, really don't know what to do for best,:groan:
 
Yep, been there. Pain is telling you: Stop doing the jobs and get on the ice and elevation. Although I'm definitely no expert, it sounds as though your non-operated-on knee needs icing and elevation too. I don't understand how your doctor could laugh, and it makes me angry!! :tantrum2::gaah:
 
@Polkadot thankyou for you reply and yes you are very right needing lots of elevation and icing, sometimes make me wonder if my leg should be kept in freezer:rotfl: for best results. seriously though my Doctor really not that concern with my pain levels, he stated its the way it is ? and he is not the only Dr I seen in this last month who seems to have the same opinion , I do believe some Dr don't understand the serious nature of such surgery . sometimes all we ask from Doctors is someone to listen and understand and have some sympathy just to acknowledge what we have been though:bawl:
 
My dr says he treats patients, not X-rays. X-rays are just one tool, and what the patient says provides other useful tools to help the dr give the best advice possible. We do rely a lot on the advice of our drs, and we need them to be honest, sympathetic, and kind. My os had a tkr, and I think that helps him relate to patients better.
 
@OJ2 I do wish my Doctors had a bit more sympathy than they have , its just in my belief that they don't see knee surgery has a big deal, I had more sympathy when I had a minor stroke and he was more concern with that
 
I think a lot of surgeons are very good at the technical side of surgery, but they lack empathy. Being good technically doesn't always mean they will also have a good bedside manner.

In addition, they see their post-op patients so seldom that they don't realise the hard daily grind of recovery. As far as they're concerned, they have done their job and it is now up to you and your body to recover from it.

Many people find they get more understanding from their own doctor (PCP/GP).

Feel free to vent and moan here - we understand, because we've been through it ourselves. :console2:
 
We understand because we have been through the same thing that you have. We have big, strong shoulders and are more than happy to share them with you!

My OS was great with the surgery, but only so-so with the empathy. That's why Bonesmart has been so important to me, as it has many others.
 
@Celle and @sistersinhim A very BIG :loveshwr:thankyou for all your support and all the wonderful people on here without all your support and guidance I'm sure my recovery and anxieties would be a lot worse without you all. and its so comforting knowing any worries I have are quickly answer ,
 
It is indeed wonderful to have people who listen to us, without judgement, but with understanding and love. I have always said a person cannot understand a mother's love until he has a child of his own, and now I believe a person cannot understand recovery from a tkr unless he has gone through it. Something's are just beyond our normal understanding.
 
Just wondering has I'm definitely returning to work next week after visit to OP health dept, phased return part time and one day on and one day off for two weeks than back to normal, but I just wondering how soon is too soon if you know what I mean, my op is very swollen and stiff but other pain wise ok , un-op knee is painful but still returning anyone else returned to work , with swollen legs and stiffness before they returned
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom