Revision TKR Knee replacement is not nice to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be having out-patient pt, and I start Wednesday. With my left tkr, I did home health care and I did not like it at all. I felt it was too easy and I didn't do anything but the stretches I was doing on my own anyway. With my right tkr, I opted for out-patient pt and started it post-op day 6. I enjoyed that because it got me out of the house 2-3x a week and I wasn't just sitting inside all the time.

Since I am doing out-patient pt, I have to travel to the hospital 2x a week for my INR blood test. I had my first one today and am just waiting to hear from the orthopedist's office about my next Coumadin dose.

My knee is really swollen- well, the whole leg is actually- but my pain isn't horrible. It's amazing that I don't feel the same stand up/sit down pain that I felt for an entire year! I have surgical pain and that is it! I can do straight leg raises and most of the time can lift my leg from the floor to the bed without having to scoop it. I have been elevating and icing- and trying really hard to not over do things and to work slowly through this recovery.

Overall, I would say things are going very well. I'm pleased with the job that Dr. W did.
 
This is GREAT news, Coachie!!! I'm so happy for you.
 
Fantastic!

That he did a good job

That you're taking it easy. And can do straight leg lift without scoop.

That the pain is not overwhelming.
 
Had my first pt session today. She informed me that I was doing well- extension and flexion is okay, and that I'm moving around alright. Her only concern, as is mine, is the swelling. I have NEVER been as swollen as I am right now. My knee cap literally looks like I have a 1/2 grapefruit (upside down) under the skin. When my leg is out straight, I can't tell if it is straight or not because the knee cap bulges out so and it looks like my leg is bent quite a bit. I've been icing and elevating, so hopefully it will start to go down soon.

Other than that, things are going ok. Pain is managed and I'm quite confident about my recovery.
 
As long as you're icing and elevating, the swelling will probably go down soon, Gene. Are you up every hour or two in the night yet? That's what happened to me when my body decided to shed the extra fluid. I actually slept five hours straight last night! I think that's the longest stretch since the surgery. I'm guessing I've about rid myself of the extra fluids now.
 
Don't know if this fits for everybody, but I was told the more you do surgery on the same knee, the more of a chance you have with more swelling. Elevate and ice and massaging the area will help get the swelling down. Remember...you can't compare last time to this time. Just be pro-active and don't try to rush things. I know spending time on the couch and inside is the pits, but if it's for a short period of time, and to your benefit, DO IT! You'll thank yourself later! The massaging helps move the fluid around because you can't move your knee as much. Plus...it feels good!
 
The added surgery on the same knee makes sense, Audrey. Plus it probably doesn't help that I was quite swollen before I even had surgery. Tomorrow is a lie on the couch, ice and elevate day for sure!!!
 
I have a new NMES unit and have a little question. How high or low do I set it? She said that I will know what level to set it at when I see or feel my muscle twitch- but I didn't feel or see either this morning and then felt like it was too high. I don't want it to hurt the muscle and over stimulate it- but I also don't want to not use it effectively. Anyone have any good ideas?
 
Coachie....I'm going to tag Josephine so she can advise you. @Josephine:
 
Well, I'm not familiar with a NMES unit so I really can't comment. Perhaps David could advise. @kneesrus:
 
Hi Coachie, what you have is a Neuro Muscle Electrical Stimulator. It is a devise that uses a particular electrical current to cause a muscle contraction. It is used in rehab to assist a patient who is having difficulty getting a muscle group to contract. You can turn the intensity up until the muscle contracts. Electrode placement is important when using this devise. The pads or sticky electrodes have to near a motor unit of the muscle. In simplier terms, the electrode needs to be placed near the electrical switch for the muscle. The intensity is as you can tolerate.
I assume you are using this to help with your swelling problem? The good news is a read you can perform a straight leg raise. So, you can contract your thigh (quad muscles). Making strong contractions of your quads can assist the circulation in your leg. You are actually better off performing the contraction by yourself. When you have your leg elevated and icing, perform 100 strong quad contractions. Try to squeeze that junk out of the knee. Combine that with pumping your ankle and the swelling should go down.
I recommend 1,000 STRONG quads sets a day with calf pumps. In other words, do as many as you can. The NMES is trying to do the same thing, but not as efficient as you doing by yourself.
This being your second TKR, you have experience. This one is just having an attitude, and you have to set it straight. :biggrin:
Best of luck, I will check in on you after the weekend. :thumb:
David
 
I must be one of the few people on Earth that just hates these electrical stimulators, but hate them I do. I argue with my PT every time I go. I keep letting him win, but I still hate it.
 
The sad thing is, many PT's really don't know how to use them or what condition they benefit. There are several types of current used in a clinic, some to help decrease pain, some to help muscles to relax and some to have muscle contract. Many clinics throw these on patients, not knowing if it is going really benefit the patient. It use to be a money maker when they get what they charge for. In today's insurance plans, it really doesn't matter what you charge, the clinic is going to get a co-pay and receive some money from the insurance.
Sorry,
David
 
I think they believe it to be a pain reducer, David. They like to put it on at the end of the session with the ice.
 
Hi Coachie. Thinking about you over the night, The devise you may have has an electrical current design for pain management. If you were instructed to place the pads around your knee and turn the machine up, then what the clinician is trying do is use electrical current to release a morphine like substance in the brain called endorphines to aid in pain control.
This devise is usually refered to has a Transcutaneous Electrical Neuro Stimulator, or TENS. If this is what you are trying to accomplish, then the intenisity is up to you and you may not get a muscle twitch. You can NOT turn it up to high or you can NOT use it too much. They are very safe.
Let me know a little more. Thanks,
David
 
Thanks for posting this information, David. I worked with this type of unit for over a month to try to stimulate a "dead" quad muscle to work. It was not to decrease pain, but to stimulate the muscle. It is sooo important that the pads be placed in the correct spot in order to get the benefit of the unit. I agree...if the PT isn't familiar enough with the unit, it's a waste of time and very frustrating for the patient. From Coachie's prior posts, I think she had mentioned about muscle atrophe. I'm guessing PT is trying to get the muscles moving so that they don't atrophe further by using this unit. However, the contracting and releasing the muscle on your own several times a day will give you great results as well...with less frustration!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom