Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Knee replacement is not nice to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Coachie!

I am so glad that they were able to fix your problem! I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond for awhile, but this Master's program is keeping me quite busy along with PT and working with a personal trainer on my knee.

In PT we use the TENS unit to stimulate the muscles. The doctor has told me that the reason that the tibia and fibula keep shifting out of place after 15 months is because of muscle weakness so we use the machine to stimulate the muscles after exercise.

p.s. I am going to see a different doctor to see if he thinks that it is "just" muscle weakness!:wink1:
 
I brought home a NMES machine shortly after my revision hip replacement last December. Like Audrey, I used it to stimulate the muscles in my leg that weren't working. My problem is drop foot. My therapist taught me how to place the pads on my leg and I always knew they were placed correctly when I could see my foot twitching. I really didn't see any improvement with the affected muscles by using the NMES for this purpose so only used it a couple of months. With nerve damage, I just don't think there is anything you can do but wait and wait and wait. It's been 10 months for me and I can move my toes a little now but that's about it on the improvement.

Like you, my recovery has been very long and continues. Good luck Audrey with your most recent replacement and recovery!
 
My NMES unit is to wake my muscle up a little. I have muscle atrophy from the past year of not doing anything.

I am now walking without crutches- should use something if I am outside or in a store, but around the house can do without. My knee is very stiff and I have been working pretty hard at flexion and extension.

Sleeping is still not comfortable- I am looking forward to the day when I can sleep more than an hour at a time without waking up due to being uncomfortable.

Other than all of that, my recovery is going well and I am very glad that I had this revision.
 
I am so glad you are doing well. Hopefully it won't be long until you are sleeping.
Rest when you can.
Greda
 
Coachie.....it's good to hear you are finally making forward progress. It is so deserved after all you've been through.
 
I am so happy for you coachie! Great news. Be careful and keep the good work up. Glad to hear the good news about the TENS for so many. It really did help me in PT. Sorry I haven't been here for awhile, surviving but getting better all the time. hugs to all bone smarties! :snork: Ann
 
Coachie, I can't help but think there was a collective sigh of relief when you emerged from surgery with a vastly improved knee. Could you tell that it made a big difference first day post-op? I am looking forward to what you will accomplish in the coming days. It will be so nice when you no longer have to suffer so.
 
I've been away for awhile and I am so happy things are finally looking up for you. I'm glad you made the decision to go ahead and do it.
Congratuations and I hope you continue to recover well.
Sandy
 
Been pretty messed up with this back thing and the leg acting up. Don't want to hijack the thread. Will update on mine when I get a moment.
S.
 
It is good to see you back, Sandy!

I have my first out-patient pt this morning. I had my evaluation last week, but due to the long weekend and my appointment at the orthopedist's, today was the first day we could schedule in.

I need to ask her about how to strengthen (or deal with) the back of my knee for the time being. Dr. W released my Popliteus Tendon when he did my revision and I have been having some pain in that area. I'm sure it will get better in time, but I want to make sure I am not doing anything to keep it inflamed or whatever.

My flexion is coming slowly. I seem to be stuck in the same general area and cannot seem to progress any further. But, my extension is looking better than it usually does at this time, so I'll take that.

Overall, I would have to say that I am doing ok considering I am only two weeks out (which I have to remind myself of all the time when I get frustrated!) I appreciate everyone who stuck by me and gave me advice and encouragement all this time. It helped me so much!
 
Coachie.....I am so happy to hear the upbeat tone in your posts. I do think you're on the right road now and things will be better for you. You're makin' me SMILE!!!!
 
Hi Coachie! As you know, my tendon was also released. Check on my thread to see Jo's and my conversation about it. Warm up the back of your knee before you start your extension exercises, which should include heel slides. Don't hold your leg in extension for more than a few seconds. You will only cause spasms if you do. Are you on Flexeril or any other spasm drug? Those help a lot to get you through the first month or so.
 
Have had a rough one today. My knee hurts and is so blasted stiff that I doubt I can bend it past 90 degrees right now (though I reached 101 at pt today). I can't find a comfortable way to sit, and I am so exhausted- yet can't get comfortable in bed either. I don't want to stand up and start walking because it is so painful, yet I know that I need to move every now and again.

Furthermore, my sister started in again on what "other tkr" patients can do- and that just makes me feel like I am lazy even though I know that I shouldn't compare myself to others and need to listen to my orthopedists and not her.

Sigh... Just one of those days. Sigh...
 
Hope by now you are chillin' out, have taken a pain med dose, have your knee iced and elevated and are preparing for a good night's rest. Lean on us during those bad days....they do come now and then and that's what we're here for!!!
 
I know how it is comparing ourselves to other tkr patients. I have a friend who's had 2 tkrs plus one got infection cleaned out (by our friend Dr. M), and he sailed right through because he's wired to feel almost no pain. Family is so important. I know your sister is. Maybe she needs your help knowing how to support you. Anyhow, despite your ups and downs, things are moving in the right direction. Continued success!
 
Hey Coachie! I think it's GREAT that you are able to bend to 90 degrees so soon after surgery. You tell your sister thanks for the concern, but you are doing very well and right on target. I see Dr. K on Tuesday. I'm at 10 degrees extension (can't in any way get to 0) and only 50 - 55 flexion as of today, and that's pushing it...with pain pills! I'm back in the big metal brace with the hinges, and have that "here we go again" mentality today. Oh well...what am I gonna do, right? Keep on plugg'in along and do the best I can! When do you see Dr. W again?
 
Coachie,
Where is your sister doing her research? I can't imagine there are too many places like this with the actual research subjects telling what's going on with them. You should invite her to read up on here so that she'll know that there are as many routes to recovery as there are patients. Better yet, tell her that when she has her knees done, she can tell you how to do it better.
 
Thanks, everybody. I've gotten past my little pity party that I had for the last couple of days and am trying to be more positive. I also know that my sister is just trying to help and doesn't always get that it sometimes hurts to hear what others are doing when you can't do them yourself.

The high school soccer team that I coached right up till my surgery made the playoffs. I wish I could go to their first game, but since I still can't drive, I don't have a way to be there. That makes me kind of sad, but I might find a way to get there- where there's a will, there's a way, right?
 
Oh, how wonderful, Coachie! I hope you can make it, but even if you can't, I hope you bask in the glow of achievement at having gotten them to the playoffs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom