Revision TKR Knee replacement is not nice to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pre-op blood work did not come out how we hoped. My Iron was pretty low and my SED rate at 40- which hopefully is just from some inflammation around the joint. Since my iron was below the suggested surgery ready level of 13, I am currently sitting in the hospital having an IV Iron infusion. I got here around 2 and will be here until 6 or 6:30. I was pretty surprised when they told me I had iron deficiency anemia. Yes, I have been really tired and had some anemia symptoms, but I just thought it was because I am worn out with this knee issue. Hopefully this infusion will help and I won't be dealing with the anemia during recovery.

Just 20 more days until my revision. I cannot wait to see if this works. It will be lovely to be able to stand up without wincing or crying out in pain during the process of standing and sitting.
 
I am glad for you that you discovered this now and are doing something about it. Also watch your vitamin D. That is a drainer too. I know you will be so happy after this is done. Hugs, Ann
 
I am sure you are counting the days. I hope that the anemia issue gets settled quickly...maybe you will get more energy and that will help you with everything you are dealing with. Take care of yourself.
Greda
 
Keep your spirits up, Coachie.....focus on the good life after your surgery. Everything else is just a means to get to your goal.
 
Two weeks from today I will be patiently waiting to head to the hospital. Right now my surgery is scheduled for 2:45 with a check-in at the hospital for 12:45. The hospital is an hour from my home, so I won't have to leave until 11:30 or so. I have scheduled for a chiropractor appointment so I can get an adjustment before heading down for surgery- hopefully that will relax me.

Two weeks cannot come soon enough. I am now having major issues standing. I cannot get up off a couch without assistance and I want to cry pretty much every time that I stand or sit- and going up and down stairs is almost impossible. I do not leave my classroom very often now during the school day, it's too much to get up and walk in the hallways. I don't know when I have looked forward to a surgery as much as this one. I'm nervous and not looking forward to the recovery process, but I am looking forward to: standing up from a chair without putting all the pressure on my arms (which now hurt all the time from pushing on them as I stand); sitting without literally throwing myself backwards so it won't hurt as much; not crying all the way home at the end of each day because the pain is so bad and I do not have (and never have had) good pain management; being able to teach in the front of the classroom instead of sitting at my desk; being able to walk up the stairs at night instead of crawling up them; not being so angry and upset all the time about the failure of my implants; and so many more things.
 
Hang-in there Coachie

It won't be long now. Just keep concentrating on how good you are going to feel when it is all over. I know you have been stuggling for a long time now but help is on the way. Just know we are all here for you and sending good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.
 
God bless you, coachie. I hope this time goes by quickly for you. As you know, waiting is the most difficult part of any surgery. You are in my prayers.
 
I'm in the same boat....anxiously awaiting for surgery on the 20th. I'm tired of the same things you are, but have come to recognize that there is a reason for the pain. Is it possible for you to immobilize your knee until surgery (as in keep it straight)? Try not to bend your knee at all, if you can. You know the problem is the kneecap, so don't do anything that will aggravate it till surgery. I think you will be surprised at home quick your recovery is going to be.
I have to lift myself up and out of a chair every day, as well as "fall back" into one. I'm so used to it now, it's scary! I climb stairs one at a time, using the good leg to go to the step and then lifting the bad one to join it on the same step. Yes, the "good knee" is taking the brunt of it, but I could not do anything without the help of the good knee and my arms. Can you stand up and keep your "bad knee" straight? An ace bandage may help just to remind you not to bend it.
Did Dr. Walsh mention anything to you about trying not to bend it too much before surgery?
My cast has done it's job as much as it's going to....the looseness is back, even with the case on as tight as it will go. When I don't have the cast on, I try to rise from a chair, but the pain is unbearable. I understand completely where you are coming from. Try keeping it straight till surgery...you might get some relief if you do.
 
Good luck with the revision surgery. Life will be better after the op and at least you know (some!) of what to expect with the recovery! xx
 
Wanttoride and Coachie, I wish you both the best with your up coming surgery. You are in my prayers. When you need it, you need it. We just learned today why the hubby keeps falling. There is no stability in his ankle. So he will need surgery in October. I know this will help you both. Soon this will be over. God bless.
 
Best of luck to all of you.
I am lucky in that I didn't need a revision. My knee is 'loose 'because the lax ligaments I can do all sorts of tricks with my tib/fib. Getting treated for it know.
I am not lucky in that I have 1 more ofrocedure to go before I end up in the operating room for my back. It is kind of inevitable. This and my PCP will not allow me to return me to work.
Keep on posting. We are all having a difficult time, and that's OK.
What doesn't kill us will make us stronger.
sandh
 
I still use my arms a lot standing up. They ache at night horribly. After a little investigation, I found some stretches that help tremendously.

Good luck you two fellow Maine girls. You've certainly done all your homework, and you know going into your surgery that you have done your level best to create the best possible odds of a good outcome. We'll all be pulling for you here.
 
I have had this problem since the beginning of a need to twist and "pop" the knee. It's always been this pressure feeling in the side and back of my leg. Initially I was told it was because I was "over doing it" and I had pulled a muscle or tendon- even though I wasn't doing anything at the time and it wasn't really pain but pressure.

Anyway, sometimes I will be walking and I will get what feels like a deep bone snap or pop and it will feel relieved for about 10 minutes or so, but then goes back to being annoying. This morning I got the deep bone pop and it was kind of nice. Of course now it is back to bugging me and the more that I think about it, the more I feel the urge to twist and turn and kick back on it so it will pop again- even though I know it isn't going to do it.

I can't help but continue to just count down the days. 11 more. I think I can make it...
 
:wubroses:I am hoping the best for you two. I hope the revision will do well for you two as well. Once again, you are in my prayers. Ann
 
Today was the day of your operation, right? How are you doing? We are all anxious to have you post when you can! :friends:
 
Finally in a room after having to wait in recovery for 3 hours. I'm feeling pretty woozy right now- am trying to go to sleep soon!

Dr. W told my family that it was exactly what he thought and that the patella was the problem. He removed that an cemented in a new one.

Feels ok right now- but my femoral block is still in, so I don't have any pain! More later- I am really tired.
 
Glad surgery went as planned. It is nice for you not to have pain...hopefully that will be the norm.
Take Care,
Greda
 
Coachie.....I'm so glad this day has arrived and you are finally through this revision surgery. Here's hoping there is nothing but smoothe sailing ahead for you!!!
 
Congrats, Coachie! The hard part, all that worrying, is over now. I was glad when I didn't have to anticipate it any more, just deal with the recovery. I hope your recovery goes very smoothly and you have wonderful pain relief and smooth walking!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom