Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Knee replacement is not nice to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coachie:
Finally an answer to your pain! This will hopefully set things straight for you!
Best of luck!
Sandy
 
I talked to my original orthopedist today. He called to talk to me and to ask permission to be in the operating room when I have my surgery in September so he can watch and see how Dr W fixes it. He told me awhile ago that he did not know how to do revisions and that even at his age (he is 69) he is always wanting to learn something new. I gave him permission to talk to Dr. W about being in the operating room when I have my surgery. He already gets all of Dr. W's notes and test results as I signed a release to send them to him. Just because he wasn't sure of how to help me with my pain from my tkr, doesn't mean that he is a bad person. He has always called me to check in on me and got me in to see him as quickly as possible, etc. I truly respect him as a surgeon.
 
Coachie...is this the same Dr. who did your knee replacement that is giving you problems?????
 
Coachie you are in my prayers and positive thoughts that all will go well and this will be your answer. Are you starting off school and then later have your surgery? Take care. :cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
I've been very busy with soccer this week. We started pre-season on Monday and have had double sessions every day. It's been fun and I have been able to walk some around the field- and have sat down some too. The other coach is very understanding of when I need to take a break. I've had a lot of pain at night, but that is totally my fault and I accept that. I've been pushing it a little bit with the understanding that soon I will be away from school and soccer. I am going to miss it all horribly- but the time away will be worth it as I am hoping that the surgery will help and that by the time I get back to school that my pain will be gone.

The surgeon who wants to come into the operating room with Dr W is the surgeon who put in my knee replacements. He has been my surgeon since 1989 and I am actually comfortable with him being in the operating room. He will not be doing any of the procedure, he will just be there as an observer.

I will be going to school until September 26th and then my surgery is the 27th. Teachers go next Wednesday and Thursday and then the kiddos will arrive on Monday August 29th. I am excited to meet my new freshmen and to see my older students again. I teach at a small school (we have about 275 students in grades 9-12) so I know everybody and everybody knows me. Right now I have coverage at school until November 7th and we'll see how that goes and if I'll be ready to go back. I will have to go back sooner than I want because I am already taking two weeks with no pay and I can't take more than that as how will I pay the bills??
 
God Bless Coachie. Can't others donate their sick days to you? This has been done in catastrophic cases in teaching before. Ask the right people and maybe they will do this. Good luck with all. I am excited about school starting on this Monday for me. I hope to get some rest this weekend. Working with young people is really great isn't it? My grandson who lives with us starts 9th grade this year. He is so excited. We just went to his Meet the Teacher Night. Rest well for the surgery.
 
You are not allowed to share sick days or donate them or whatever. Once my sick days are gone, they are gone and then I lose pay for every day extra. I will lose 2 full weeks of pay if I go back to school after just 6 weeks and obviously more if it takes longer to recover.

School starts tomorrow for teachers- kiddos come on Monday. I am looking forward to it.

My original surgeon is not going to be in the operating room after all. He is going to be away that week- he called me the other day to tell me.

I have my pre-op Monday afternoon, so have been thinking of some questions to ask.
 
What are some of your questions so far? I'm sure if you ask, you'll get a lot of questions from people who are reading your posts. I think I would want to know if the recovery period is less than 6 weeks. Also, I would want to know if Dr. W would correct anything else during the surgery if he finds something once he's "in there". Also, are you going to be back at "square one" with flexion and extension degrees and IF you are going to need PT. That's just for starters!
 
Yup- those are a few of my questions. In addition, I want to know:
how long I'll be in the hospital; if I will need/use a CPM; if my recovery is different with a cemented knee cap vs non-cemented; and what kind of anesthesia he is going to use- or if I'll have a femoral block, etc.

What else should I ask?
 
It's a given that if there is anything else in there it gets fixed, Audrey. If it's to do with the knee and would affect the outcome, he could be considered negligent in his care if he didn't. However, there are some exceptions.

I'm reminded of a GYN who brought a lady come to theatre for a D&C. While he was doing that, he noticed she had a rather large, pendulous lump on her thigh. Nothing serious, just a skin tag. But he decided to remove it for her. And got sued for his troubles! It wasn't included on the consent form, you see, and hardly came under the terms of "whatever else is deemed necessary" on the consent form.
 
I had a meltdown this evening because I am feeling very angry about the past year of my life. I am angry about people (not you all, but people meaning my family and friends and doctors!) : telling me there was nothing wrong with my knee; not truly listening to my complaints about pain; not believing me; telling me to "push through it"; telling me I was depressed; not helping me with pain management; looking at me like I was a drug seeker/abuser; just not getting it.
Funny how now that I have a surgery date that people are starting to listen to me (sort of I guess.)
I could write a whole lot more and talk about all those other things. The appointments, tests, money spent, tears, days missed from work, discouragements, frustrations, anger, fear, helplessness, etc., but that is enough complaining from me at this time :)
I know I need to move on and not get bogged down in all this anger, but how do I do that?
I don't walk around ticked off at the world because I am actually a pretty happy person most of the time- but when I really start to think about it, it gets me upset.
Anyway- just had to vent!
 
We're very good at understanding venting, Coachie. So don't ever hesitate to come here and rant away!!!

These folks all mean well. They just simply don't understand nor have the knowledge or background to offer you good support and advice. Don't be mad at them.....I'm sure they all really do care about you.

Remember that your anger only impacts you. And only you have the ability to turn it around into something more positive. Perhaps it's a good opportunity to educated your friends and loved ones. Or just show them that you are on the right path. When you find your mind drifting to these negative thoughts, immediately get up and do something different...something physical. Go out in the garden. Ride an exercise bike. Take a walk. Call someone you've been meaning to talk to (not about this!). Write a letter or send a card. Do your weekly grocery shopping. You have to get your mind in the habit of going somewhere else.
 
Hi Coachie,
I have been following your story and I wanted to tell you I understand why you would feel angry. I had a similar knee experience where something was wrong and no one believed me. The doctors made me feel like I was crazy and thought I was imagining my pain. When they found out something was really wrong and I had to have a revision I wished that someone would acknowledge what I had been through and maybe apologize for treating me like a drug addict/crazy person. No one apologized to me for putting me through 1 1/2 years of misery.
What is troubling about this surgery is when there are problems they don't show up on X-ray and doctors don't say, 'maybe there is a problem we just can't see it' what they DO say is "your X-rays look fine". I have felt angry that they have a hard time diagnosing problems and make you wait a year to even run more tests. When a person is in that much pain a year seems like an eternity.
It may not help but I will say, I am sorry for what happened.
Minnie
 
Nice post, Minnie.....from the heart of someone who has "been there."
 
Been there as well, as Jo and Jamie can vouch for that! Coachie...you just come to a point when you hit "rock bottom" from having all the tests, being frustrated, being called "names", being put through endless pain, etc. Then, you get the correct test, the correct diagnosis, and you hit a "high" of "FINALLY...I HAVE AN ANSWER". Then, you start reflecting on the past year (or two, or three...or more!) and all that you have suffered through, and then you get mad. This time WILL pass...as long as you don't hold onto the "what was" and look to the "what will be".
People who are not in our situation do not understand. Think of it this way...would you understand if you were not in the situation you are in? Probably not.
Yes, you would be supportive, but at the same time, you would wonder all sorts of things like "is she doing all she can" and " shouldn't you be off those pain meds by now"? Very typical of anybody not going through it.

I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer", but I hope you are preparing yourself (mentally) for what is coming up for you, with this revision surgery. From my own experience, I was ELATED that a problem was found and that a revision was going to fix the problem. Note that I just wrote "FIX"....
Because we wait so long for a diagnosis and a reason for our pain, we often look forward to the revision with "rose colored glasses on". I know I did. I also did when I had the first TKR. I wanted an end to the pain, and having the surgery was the answer. Well..we all know how THAT turned out.
I'm just saying that there will be work to do after your revision. More therapy, more pain for a while and possible frustration because things may not happen as quickly as you want, or NEED them to. We all have obstacles to overcome, but healing is something we have no control over...only how we handle it.
No surgery is perfect, but we all want it to be. I'm not being negative, just being truthful. We hope for the best, but we must be prepared for the "what if's" when having a revision. After all, that knee has been through a lot and may not bounce back like WANT it to. We have to look forward with optimism, but at the same time, we need to be realistic.
Use your energy to prepare for your upcoming surgery and not to reflect on the frustration of the past. Work on getting your body and mind ready for your revision and afterwards!
 
That is fully understandable, Audrey. I have told several people that while I am excited for my surgery, I am very nervous about the recovery. Mostly I am nervous about the fact that I only have 6 weeks that I can take for recovery- well, I could take more, but would lose A LOT of pay. I'll have to play that one by ear, I guess.

Whenever I start thinking about the pain involved in the recovery from a surgery, I get nerved up, but then I think about the pain I am in now and am hoping I can deal with a few weeks of pain and stiffness and frustrations, etc. and hopefully a year from now I won't be complaining of pain anymore.

I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow afternoon. School starts tomorrow as well, so it is a busy, busy day for me!
 
Best of luck to you Coachie!!
I am also getting the "Xrays are fine, there is nothing wrong with your knee"
There is something wrong.
I know my body.
I will hunt down the reason, and then rub everyone's nose in it.
Can't wait
Sandy
 
After my pre-op with the nurse practioner, I saw my orthopedic. He said that he thought I looked a lot better than the last time he saw me and that he could see the positive change in my face and that it was good to see me smile. I agree! After a lot of praying, journaling, and talking with family, I have decided that I need to focus on my blessings and not on everything else. My goal is to be more positive and while I know I am going to have some rough times, it will be easier to get through it if I attack it with a smile.

The "real" coachie was lost last year around November. She got really lost between February and now, but is finding herself again! Smiling, cracking jokes, being silly, and sucking the marrow out of life is who I always was- it's time to get back to that. I am determined to find coachie again and make her happy again.

29 days until my surgery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom