Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

Any advice from those doing out-patient tkr? My first knee was an overnight stay and I'm wondering how this will be different. My OS says it takes a "tough" person to do out-patient but he believes it's the future.
 
Any advice from those doing out-patient tkr
Would you like to change your title to reflect that question?

Or, maybe start a pre op thread, it might get more notice there.

You could also skim through the thread titles in the pre op forum looking for this topic.

I think most who have done out patient surgery have been glad they did.
 
I haven't read of anyone that I can think of that was unhappy that they had an out-patient tkr. The main thing you have to be careful of is that you have your pain meds worked out before you leave. I wouldn't have the courage to do it outpatient, but many do.
 
Yes, I had out patient 10/28 and it was a very good experience for me. I had surgery at 7 and was home by noon. My Dr gave me scripts for all my meds a couple of weeks b4 surgery so I had everything set up. I really can't say anything negative about it. I prefer being in my own environment rather than a hospital with constant interruptions. A nurse came to my home the first 2 days to check on everything and took the drain out the second day. I took my pain meds as prescribed the first 2 weeks and pain was well controlled. My knee was strong from the beginning and I didn't have much problem slowly moving around. I had my sister with me for the first 5 days and then managed on my own with help from neighbors and friends mainly to keep my ice machine filled and pick up food as needed. Good luck and hope you experience is as positive as mine was.
 
I had an out patient TKR on 5/20. I think the key to it working was they used a long lasting (72 hours) numbing medicine, whose name I don't recall right now. I don't think I would want to do it without something like that, but it went fine for me. They had me up on a walker probably an hour after surgery and I got to sleep in my own bed. Well sort of, sleep is problematic for most people for at least the first couple of weeks, but I got to lie on my own couch with my own TV in the middle of the night :)
Found the name of the long term numbing medicine, it is Exparel. My other piece of advice is to take all of your jewelry off at home, I lost my wedding ring at the surgery center. Not an expensive one, but sentimental of course, been married 31 years.
 
Second RTKR completed this morning! Went well although delayed because patient prior to my surgery had tons of previous scar tissue to deal with.

Out patient went well. I am dealing with an issue that's no fun. The nerve block is still working, too well! When they got me up we realized I had peed. Didn't feel it at all. Later today it happened again, tonight it seems to be wearing off a bit, I hope it will be back to normal.
 
I wore Depends the first few days to be on the safe side.
 
No problems with bladder/ block once I got home. Had a great first nights sleep, pain pills and nerve blocks will do that. Trying to keep ahead pain that's is coming. Icing and elavating constantly!
 
Update at 4 days post op. Doing well as can be expected this early. Pain pretty bad at times but manageable. Taking showers, walking well, doing a few exercises. Icing z nd elevating all the time. My OS changed his project wine my LTKR a yr. ago. He's stressing elevating, flexion and less exercise early. At two weeks he'll evaluate my need for formal exercise. Last yr. he stressed exercise everyday and often which I truly believed set my recovery back..a lot. He says I know what to do. We'll see what happens, I'm not going to overdo it. I am concerned he wants elevation with little to no bend in my knee, it hurts a lot at this early stage.
Hope everyone has a pain free day!

Oh and please post any constipation tricks!
 
A slight bend when you elevate will be less painful than keeping your leg absolutely straight. Your extension will come in time.

As per your constipation you can try Miralax. It can be found in any drug store and in most food stores that has a medication section. You can try using that every day until you find yourself becoming regular. Also increase your fluid increase. A bit of prune juice can also be helpful.
 
I doubled up on Colace and took Miralax. Have you asked your doctor about it?
 
Good news on constipation front! No details available......
Nauseated now. I hate taking opiods, just yuk.
 
One week! I made it! Really sore and painful this morning. I think the combination of more exercises yesterday and backing off meds overnight made for an angry knee. Will work on resting and elevating today. No energy today either.
Called Dr. this morning for narco refill, knew I would run out over weekend, lot's the of questions but he refilled , I see him next Tues. Hope everyone has a peaceful day!
 
I think the combination of more exercises yesterday and backing off meds overnight made for an angry knee.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom