Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

I'm now at 4 plus mo. from surgery... still can't stand for more than 15-20 min. Without paying for it with pain. For example I went to large grocery store this morning and walked perimeter and did self checkout, probably 20-25 min. So much pain by the time I got to car and unloaded, took buggy to holder. Once in car...relief. stopped by post ofc. for a few min. Pain again. Once home after unloading, putting away groceries I'm icing and elevating. Every time this afternoon I do a simple tasks I experience more pain and need rest etc. Point is I'm working on my fifth month and so disgusted with my progress.

On the bright side, my recovery from tasks that cause pain is quicker and my tight band feeling is much better! I'm considering going back to OS to see if I'm just a problem healer or if there is a real problem. My xrays at 6 wks were great, progress great and I was released.

Thanks to all here who help so much with day to day progress. I hope everyone is waaay ahead of me with your healing. I hope my w hinning hasn't scared any newbies hoping for a fast recovery. My recovery is not the standard apparently. Tomorrow may be a better day for me, I'm just discouraged.
 
I'm now at 4 plus mo. from surgery... still can't stand for more than 15-20 min. Without paying for it with pain.
That's normal. For some reason,standing still is much harder than walking. So many people here have complained of it, citing how hard it is to stand in line at the checkout counter.
My recovery is not the standard apparently. Tomorrow may be a better day for me, I'm just discouraged.
I think your recovery is pretty much a standard one. Unfortunately, you were inadequately briefed before your surgery and, consequently, you set your expectations too high. That's bound to cause frustration and anxiety.

Try to remember that you're only a third of the way through recovery. Your knee is still recovering. There's still plenty of time for improvement.
Your knee is still a work-in-progress, not the finished article, and where you are now is not where you'll be by July next year.
 
I’m at 3.5 months so not far behind you but yes, standing is brutal. If it makes you feel any better you can stand longer than me without pain! I can go maybe 5 minutes then I have to start moving.
 
I agree with the others, standing still takes months to achieve. I was just like you at 5 months.
 
Jockette, sondrels and Celle....I can't tell you how much better that makes me feel. To know others were or are where I currently am is very comforting. I guess we all feel at some
point we will never get any better.
 
This recovery is long and slow and it’s so easy to lose heart. :console2:
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
@Starsfan22 trust me I’m right where you’re at. It’s super easy to get down and frustrated. Take a deep breath and remember you’re doing great!
 
You are doing so well....the standing has been my issue also. I hope the resting will help you, just be kind to yourself and this will soon be in your past! :carols:
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
@Starsfan22

Standing is no picnic after this surgery. Although all may preach patience, it is hard to internalize.
Ha! My first “This will never end....I can’t even (insert words here)” momewas at 7 days....

You are TOTALLY NOT considered a whiner by any standard on Bone Smart.
Just keep on keeping on..........if the OS released you....you are on your way.
 
I found in my mid-recovery days when having to stand painfully in line, I'd walk in place and that helped a whole lot. If anyone looked at me crazily, I'd just say "Knee replacement." They nod and turn back around. We do what we have to do to get through those days!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suz
Standing is an issue! I only do one errand a day with a 15 min time limit. Any shopping, especially now, is done when store opens so I don't have to stand in line!

No "browsing" in stores helps! I keep thinking about all the money we save by my lack of impulse shopping! :yes!:

I lurk on Bonesmart, knit and crochet and read to stay busy.

You aren't slow in recovery, I seem to be following your path!
 
Hi, which peddler did you buy on Amazon? Folding or not, like @Sara61 ? Thanks for your comment in her thread btw
 
Xwell Folding pedal Exerciser. Bought on Amazon. I like it and it wasn't that expensive.
 
Updating my progress. Still having pain and stiffness when standing for longer than it takes to make breakfast. A short sit and I'm good for another short standing session. I seem to get really tight which is causing the pain?

My walking sessions while not that long have changed. Walking is easier, strides longer and gait seems better. I have tried to be aware of the heel, ball, toe gait and standing up straighter with core engaged. Honestly the easier walk has been the only progress I am excited about. Slow progress is progress. I'll take it!

At this point I'm right in the middle of my fifth month. I read someone else's thread today that really affected me. They are doing so much better than I am and way behind me time wise. Brought a tear to my eye. Moodiness, depression are in my past but this particular post just made me sad. I then realized I seem to be progressing finally, even though slowly and should count my blessings!
 
@Starsfan22 If it makes you feel better, I am one who doesn't always keep up with the threads of people having fast, easier (in my opinion!) recoveries. I don't do it out of anger or jealousy, just because it depresses me sometimes. I have had trouble with my TKR knee for 22 yrs now and have had 8 surgeries, one of which was brutal and made matters worse back in 2015. I can easily fall into the hindsight trap, wishing I could go back and reverse things.

So with that said, I have to live daily with MY knee, and I'm finally used to it. I am MUCH better at remembering I have a separate life that got my knees to where they are today, and that's ok. However, when I read a lot of other threads with recoveries I had dreamed/hoped/pleaded for, I just get depressed. So I try to focus on the people who need advice or support, hoping that I can take my bad stuff and turn it into something brighter for someone. I lived this horrid knee history and just want to make something good of it. So I keep on slogging ahead, one day at a time, with slow but steady progress....knowing I AM making progress, and I'm MUCH better off than I was.

Just remember it's completely normal to get sad/bummed by other's recoveries progressing faster or with less pain/stiffness, etc. This recovery is emotional enough without comparing ourselves to others. It's part of the battle and one I have to be careful of. Just know that some of us get it and are right there with you, 100%.:console2:
 
@Starsfan22 i feel the same way you do. Sometimes I read how well everyone else is doing and regret ever doing the first one let alone just having the second done. Rest assured you’re not the only one who feels depressed or down about their progress
 
Your knee is your own little exotic plant, needing its own tending in its own way. It’s lucky to have you tending it.

My husband tore his right quadriceps clean across two and a half years ago, no pain, at all. The doctors in the ER kept coming with pain meds and he shooed them away. After a while they brought residents and interns over to demonstrate the diagnosis of the injury because it wasn’t causing any pain for my husband. After his surgery, he had minimal pain too. It was weird. But his recovery from surgery to walking was not fast.

He looks at me, still bravely jousting with pain monsters but walking and progressing with my exercises at two weeks out, and he’s amazed. The comparisons just don’t make any sense, so we’ve stopped doing them.

Read what helps, and if someone’s progress makes you feel bad about your own, remember that you’ve got your own wonderful knee to tend to, let it grow in its time and blossom for you as it can.

I hope that helps.
 
I seem to get really tight which is causing the pain?
That tightness is swelling. Even if you don't see a lot on the outside, you still have it on the inside. Think of what a small area that is. It doesn't take much fluid to fill it up in there. That hurts!
Slow progress is progress. I'll take it!
Yes, that is the attitude! Many baby steps will lead to an adult step!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom