Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

Got up this morning and after walking down the hall, I looked at new knee and said: "Hello, who are you?" After suffering with tightness and pain for several days, I obviously overdid it last week for the holidays, I iced and elevated most of yesterday. Guessing icing and elevating paid off! As a side affect my attitude has been so much better today. Yea me!!!

Hope everyone else is recovered too.
 
I really wanted to start a new post on this subject but know that is frowned upon. My question is about this Corona virus and how those of us who have recently had surgery are affected, or not. Are we at greater risk as a result of being in recovery mode vs leading normal lives? I'm in my 7th month, is my immune system back to normal or am I compromised? Do all of us need to take extra precautions? I'm back to work (taxes) and sit across from clients everyday. At what point are we at full strength? I'm hoping one of our medical experts can chime in on this, we appreciate all the excellent medical advice we receive here.

As a update on my knee.....it's getting so much better! Around 6+ months I noticed real progress. Of course now my unoperated knee is raising it's ugly hand asking for it;s turn! Going to have to wait until tax season is over, hope I make it, it's in real bad shape.
 
I realize no one hear knows me, I joined a while back and have read religiously but have not created my own thread. I had LTKR July 29, 2019, I'm a full 3 mos. out and am discouraged big time! I completed fairly aggressive PT and at the end of 6 weeks my numbers were very good. OS released me at 6 wks. and said keep working on extension (it was a 1) and see you in a year. I felt good about my progress and was well on my way.

I have progressed but have pain every...single...day.... It often takes me until afternoon to loosen up the knee icing and elevating, stretching, and once full of tylenol and advil, I can actually move around with much less pain. Standing and cooking is very painful after a few min. for both knees as my right knee needs TKR as well. I walk every morning for 10 to 15 min., part of the loosening up process. Some days I do my exercises, somedays I rest all day with only normal light house work etc. The nurse at my OS ofc. said by 3 mo. I would be so happy I did this, but I'm not. I feel like a hostage in my own house. I have done some grocery shopping and other short outings but only on good days and I ice and elevate as soon as I'm home. I've had a few good days but they are few and far between as the saying goes. My spouse was supportive the first few weeks but he believes I should work through the pain and stiffness and just get over it. I've always been a positive upbeat person but now find myself depressed and angry more often than I want to admit.

I realize no one can offer me a solution and I hope time will lead to the progress I read about here everyday. Honestly at this point I don't see that happening. Ok, my pity party is over, as I said I just needed to vent....or drink a bunch of wine :)
I am in same situation after 5 months & got desperate & had MUA 10 days ago & heavy PT. Seems like pain came back worst & PT
Tells me if I do not do therapy hard scar tissues will be back again. They are genetic also. I am upset to. My knee is still very stiff &
Pain is always there with swelling. I can not take 1/2 mile walk. I was walking in summer 2 miles. Just wait & see .
 
I realize no one hear knows me, I joined a while back and have read religiously but have not created my own thread. I had LTKR July 29, 2019, I'm a full 3 mos. out and am discouraged big time! I completed fairly aggressive PT and at the end of 6 weeks my numbers were very good. OS released me at 6 wks. and said keep working on extension (it was a 1) and see you in a year. I felt good about my progress and was well on my way.

I have progressed but have pain every...single...day.... It often takes me until afternoon to loosen up the knee icing and elevating, stretching, and once full of tylenol and advil, I can actually move around with much less pain. Standing and cooking is very painful after a few min. for both knees as my right knee needs TKR as well. I walk every morning for 10 to 15 min., part of the loosening up process. Some days I do my exercises, somedays I rest all day with only normal light house work etc. The nurse at my OS ofc. said by 3 mo. I would be so happy I did this, but I'm not. I feel like a hostage in my own house. I have done some grocery shopping and other short outings but only on good days and I ice and elevate as soon as I'm home. I've had a few good days but they are few and far between as the saying goes. My spouse was supportive the first few weeks but he believes I should work through the pain and stiffness and just get over it. I've always been a positive upbeat person but now find myself depressed and angry more often than I want to admit.

I realize no one can offer me a solution and I hope time will lead to the progress I read about here everyday. Honestly at this point I don't see that happening. Ok, my pity party is over, as I said I just needed to vent....or drink a bunch of wine :)
I am in same situation after 5 months & got desperate & had MUA 10 days ago & heavy PT. Seems like pain came back worst & PT
Tells me if I do not do therapy hard scar tissues will be back again. They are genetic also. I am upset to. My knee is still very stiff &
Pain is always there with swelling. I can not take 1/2 mile walk. I was walking in summer 2 miles. Just wait & see .
So sorry it's going slowly for you, it is horrible to deal with pain every day.
 
Are we at greater risk as a result of being in recovery mode vs leading normal lives? I'm in my 7th month, is my immune system back to normal or am I compromised?
Your immune system should be well back to normal by the 7th month.

I believe it's only in the early weeks of recovery that you might be at greater risk. Even that is not a given, but you should probably limit outings and social contact for the first month or so..

You can help to boost your immune system while recovering, by eating a healthy diet.
This article contains a lot of useful information:
Healing Phases & Nutrition
 
I totally get it. 3 weeks....seems my man thinks I should be all better. Gets sick of hearing me say ouch, ooooooo, :censored: etc. Guess he thinks I'm just complaining. But too bad....my knee, my vent. I just feel stalled out. 1 good day. 3 bad. Sick of the meds, sick of the nausea, sick of pain, sick of it all. Just want one day pain free with peace.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Celle....Thanks for the input on our immunity, good news. My diet is is pretty good so hopefully my immunity is back.

Valgriff....I remember that wish, just one day with no
Ain. Just one day not thinking about mr knee. I'm there with my operated knee but other knee is just a pain. You'll get there but it's going to be awhile.
 
Starsfan22.....let me reinforce what Celle has told you about the possibility of any problems regarding the Coronavirus and your immune system. Unless there is some other medical issue you have, you should not be in the category of "compromised immune system."

Anyone recovering from surgery in the winter months needs to be mindful of good health practices such as frequent hand washing, use of hand sanitizers, and avoiding situations where you might be exposed to viruses. Also, be sure you are not touching your face, nose, or mouth (it's amazing how frequently some of us do that each day!)

You don't want to add the discomfort of going through a cold or the flu on top of your normal recovery. That said, for most BoneSmarties the Coronavirus isn't going to present any more danger (and so far it's showing even less for people who don't have a compromised immune system or other health issues) than the regular strains of flu. I hope you were wise and got your flu shot this year. If not, it's not too late....go get one. If you do this, stay away from big crowds as much as possible, and wash your hands frequently, you should be just fine.

Since your surgery was last July, as Celle has said, your immune system should be functioning normally by now and could fight off a cold or flu virus if necessary. But please take good precautions to minimize the risk of catching something in the first place.
 
@Starsfan22 - Covid-19 is a scary thing. As @Celle shared, proper diet is important especially while recuperating from major surgery. I need to work on my nutrition big time.
I came down with a bad flu during the winter of 2017, one of the few years I didn't get my flu shot. I never want to be that sick again and have been faithful every year since in getting the vaccine. @Jamie is right on about still being able to get a flu shot. I didn't realize that until a couple of years ago. The common sense habits of frequent hand washing and keeping our hands away from our face are important and easy to do. One thing I've gained from the news about Covid is the run on face masks. They don't prevent us from being contaminated, but do help in avoiding the spread of the virus when those who are sick wear them. Medical personnel rely on them while caring for their patients. Imagine if there aren't any masks for nurses and doctors, what a bad spot we would be in.
 
I deal with the public everyday as a tax specialist, at least through April. In the past I've had a strong immune system. I'm no spring chicken and older people have greater risk. That's two strikes against me. I did get a flu shot. Thanks for the good info about our immune systems.
 
Need help with decision on timeline for second knee replacement! I have the option of day surgery vs inpatient with possible overnight stay with either option. IV medication after surgery not given if outpatient. Outpatient clinic does only outpatient surgeries, hospital is located in Covid hotspot city with those patients on different floor. What is best for second knee? Second knee needs to be done but is doing well right now, so hard to incapacitate myself again....any advice?
 
I'd say wait a while until the Covid situation settles down, since your knee isn't feeling too bad at the moment - but it doesn't look as if Covid is going to settle down for some time yet, so who knows when it would be done if you decide to wait.

I can only say what I would do, and that is go ahead with outpatient surgery, if your surgeon thinks you're a suitable candidate. Isolate yourself from everyone except immediate family for 2 weeks before your surgery date, have the surgery, and stay in hospital for as short a time as possible. The longer you're in hospital, the more risk there is of catching something.

Before being discharged from hospital, make sure you have a pain relief regime sorted out and you know how to get help quickly if your medications need adjusting, or if you are concerned about anything else.

You'll need someone to be at home with you 24/7 for at least the first 24 hours after discharge.

Once home, stay there. Don't go out for PT - you can do all you need to at home, by walking around the house, and just using the exercises here:
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Decide beforehand whether or not you will have home health care. Personally, knowing that my resistance to infection will be compromised for a while after surgery, I would prefer not to come into contact with anyone outside my immediate family.

I would make my first outing be the one where my sutures or staples are removed and I would limit visitors and further outings to the bare minimum until further along in recovery.

That's what I would do, but you need to decide for yourself.
Don't forget to ask your surgeon what he/she recommends as well - you'll need their full support.
 
I can only speak from my experience... but I would do the outpatient. In fact, I did exactly that in May.

My left TKR was in the hospital, as was my bilateral THR. My doctor was already encouraging me to consider outpatient for my right TKR, and with COVID, it was my only option in May.

I wouldn’t change a thing! I arrived at 7:45am and was in my own bed less than 6 hours later. Because I was still numb and a little out of it, the ride home and stairs to my bedroom were so much easier than my trips home from the hospital. I was well settled in at home when the pain hit (about 36 hours later) rather than in the middle of a journey home.
 
@Starsfan22
I am in Texas (San Antonio) and when I do my RTKR, I wouldn’t consider outpatient. My guess is that the option would not be offered.

For COVID, hospitals are taking great care to separate the elective surgery patients from any others, for numerous reasons.

I personally want ALL the drugs delivered to me and some one else to cook for me for at least 36 hours.

The only one that can make the call is you....good luck.
 
I'm going with the surgery center vs hosp. No Covid patients, pre ok not in a setting where anyone admitted is exposed to hosp. Employees. Just seems like less exposure, in and out same day
 
I also did the outpatient TKR. My experience was very good, except I lost my wedding ring. :nah:
If my wife had been allowed back with me, I could have just handed it to her, but I dropped it in the bag with my other clothes and I think when I got dressed I was still a little loopy and it got left in the bag. So make sure you don't bring any jewelry in the prep area. Hopefully your surgeon uses some long lasting pain relief so you can get home and settled for a day or two.
 
My surgery date has changed to Aug. 20th. Right knee
 
@Starsfan22
i just went back and read your whole recovery thread. I found it very helpful, and it gave me hope for my own recovery! Like you, I am getting sick of daily pain, and it’s easy to wonder/worry if will be there forever. But reading your progress was inspiring. I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom