Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

I too have cut the narco in half
Be sure that it is OK to cut a pill in half. If it is scored, then it is usually OK to cut it in half. If not, then don't unless your doctor says it's OK to. I found out the hard way what happens when you shouldn't cut a pill in half. Some of them have protective coatings on them. When you cut it in half you lost that coating, which might release too much of the meds at one time. I ended up with several ulcers because I cut an unscored pill in half for a while. Please check this out for your own safety.
 
Warning....vent alert! I hate that if I spend 10 min. plus in kitchen simply cooking some bacon , clening up a little makes me literally limp to the ice machine. It'll get better and is better than a couple of weeks ago but I know from experience progress will be turtle like.
 
Still early days @Starsfan22 ! Think of it another way - you can now cook and clean up a bit. That's certainly progress!
 
I was thrilled when I was able to do finally do some 'little' things. That was proof that I was getting better. Usually, in the early days, I was able to do only one new thing, then rested the rest of the day. I was still happy to be able to do it and rested with a sense of accomplishment!
 
Question for our experts here. I realize there is no definitive answer.....I'm approximately 4 weeks post op and grandkids, kids want a visit, if safe. How compromised am I immunity wise? Do I risk it, both grandkids just started back in classroom this past week. A Covid positive child in grandson class. He was not quarenteed due to class setup. I'm torn but aren't we all lately? Any feedback appreciated.
 
That’s a tough question. With your grandson being in class with a child who tested positive I would wait two weeks before I saw them. That’s just my personal opinion.
 
I agree with newly bionic. I’d wait the 2 weeks. Why take the chance. There’s always FaceTime.
 
I agree, I'd wait. Because of the Covid and that little kids can be exhausting when your energy is a bit low as it is likely to be right now. Wait until you can really enjoy the visit.
 
Thanks everyone, I'm waiting at least another week. Our family does live zoom meetings for fantasy football drafting, dance recitals etc. Perhaps we'll do another this weekend. At one month I still tire easily plus adding more PT is wearing me out.
 
I would wait! I’m thinking your body is still struggling to get it’s strength back and return to normal. Not to mention that everyday activities are still taxing and using up more energy and stamina than normal. And as much as I love kids, they are germ-breeders, lol. In a couple more weeks, i would think you and your immune system will be stronger!!
 
Anyone use KT tape. My grandson is using for a hamstring injury. It's suppose to promote faster healing. I saw a study for tkr specifically that was positive. Suppose to effectively reduce swelling. Pretty sure you have to wait until scar is healed to use it. Anyone have input?
 
I'll weigh in, too. I think you should wait at least 2 weeks before you have a personal visit with your family. Covid can spread very easily it seems and you don't want to take a chance of catching it.
 
Anyone use KT tape. My grandson is using for a hamstring injury. It's suppose to promote faster healing. I saw a study for tkr specifically that was positive. Suppose to effectively reduce swelling. Pretty sure you have to wait until scar is healed to use it. Anyone have input?

@Starsfan22 Hi! :wave: My PT just applied ROCKTAPE (the original brand of kinesiology tape) on my 6 1/2 wk post-op knee for the 1st time on Friday. The thought is that it sort of “lifts” the skin to allow more blood flow & less swelling which lead to healing & less pain. It can also help w/movement (ROM).
I didn’t notice a dramatic difference with the tape but I definitely noticed that I wasn’t having pain going up & down stairs. I‘ve just last week been able to go up & down stairs sequentially (vs one foot always leading) with down the steps being much slower & more of a reach or stretch. The 1st time I used the stairs after getting home on Friday, I immediately noticed that I didn’t have the usual sharp pain across kneecap area!
There are many ways to wrap the tape...YouTube has good videos as do the tape companies (ROCKTAPE or KT).
Over the weekend I ordered some more tape (Amazon) as I think I’m going to continue to use it. I want to have some at home & available to use in case what my PT puts on comes off. I found that it’s easy to loosen the edges when lowering & raising my pants to use the bathroom. Since it’s gotten chilly here where I live, today I had on leggings which definitely hold the tape more securely.
Please let me know what you find out & if you end up using the tape!:friends:
 
6 wk checkup (In 7th wk). Dr. said I'm doing really, really well! Two Reallys! Didn't discuss numbers just placed my leg on his knee to see if it hung straight. Didn't check ROM, I guess he could see by the way I was sitting, plus it was over 90 at 2 wks. He assured me my yr. old knee will settle down once they both take their fair share of weight bearing. I swear it's more stiff than the brand new one. He told me he'd see me one yr. post op.

This recovery is a testimony to the Bonesmart way. I so wish all the new people here struggling with PT, aggressive PT, could see this post. My first knee went through 6 wks. of aggressive PT, pushing on my knee to get numbers, requiring me to do at home twice a day, weight bearing exercises, squats, you name it, I did it. After finding bonesmart I backed off some but was in pain every single day for months. Fast forward to Aug. 20th of this year....number two. 1st two weeks only heel slides, slow stretches and a little walking around the house. I added easy exercises a little at a time and if I had pain I rested the next day with plenty of icing and elevating. I added walking outside paying close attention to gait and stride length. And it worked! I can't thank the experts here for all the help with these two new knees. @sistersinhim, @ Celle, @Jaycey, @pumpkin and all the other great people who help us all along the way. I know I'll have setbacks and will need more help but tonight I'm just thankful, especially to Bonesmart!
 
@Starsfan22 I feel the same as you!! First TKR, 3 years ago, I did the outpatient PT and endured the stress and pain. This second one, no outpatient PT and no stress, just gentle exercises on my own. My ROM and extension at this point have both the same result. So thankful I chose the Bonesmart way this time!:dancy::egypdance::dancy:
 
Why do I still have problems with my first tkr, now just short of 22mo. old? If I overdo, and that's an overstatement, it takes very little exercise to cause swelling and pain. I get a very painful "knot" just under the kneecap and to the inside on my left knee. This has happened several times over the past yr. I visited my ortho, took x-rays, all was fine. No reason he could find. Only guess he had is that it may be scar tissue and if it becomes a problem he can scope it to check for scar tissue. Does scar tissue flarup then get ok? So tired of this knee, right on that is just shy of one yr. is great, has been from the beginning. Frustrated! Anyone else have lingering issues with a tkr?
 
Frustrated! Anyone else have lingering issues with a tkr?
Me! :wave:
It’s been 4 years for me. My ROM has improved over time but I still have a lot of the issues I’ve had all along. 2 second opinions found nothing to fix (but they really didn’t look very hard.) I even described my issue online at the JRAD conference and the surgeons there were stumped. :bawl:

I just try to manage as best I can.
 
Jockette...thanks, it's nice to know we're not alone with thr tough recoveries. My issue comes and goes, maybe someday it'll go for good. Hope yours goes away too!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom