Guest viewing is limited

THR Kerfline on the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you're having a bit of a rough time. Everyone's experience is different. I didn't struggle so much with pain as much as swelling-- as I called it, my "mambo hip" ( which is now gone thank heavens). We will see how my second hip surgery in a couple of weeks compares to my first experience.

Try pillows in different location while you sleep in the recliner. Under right knee..under left knee..up by your hip...see if any pillow changes help. Glad to see you're checking in here and there. I got a little bit of the blues a couple of weeks in and talking to these wonderful people supporting me helped a lot. Thinking of you.

Thanks Joanna, I just have to be patient and let it take it's course. Looking for results from my PT exercise to soon. My left leg seems longer but they measured two different ways and they are both the same length. They told me as I go thought PT eventually it will feel the same. I'm still sleeping in my family room on the recliner. I just can't get comfortable in bed. The pain in the mornings and afternoons aren't so bad so I'll take extra strength Tylenol, but the evening hours I have to take my hydrocodone.

Right now I'm in between the walker and a cane. How long was it for you to walk without a cane?
I hope your left hip is a better experience for you.
Thanks again.
Blessings,
Vinnie
 
Vinnie

Sorry you have been having such a hard time of it lately. Hopefully things will improve soon.

Cheryl
 
Feeling much better today and the pain in letting up more. I went to PT today with a cane and they told me they would like to see me use the walker one more week. They told me the hip needs more time for healing. It really felt good though after all that stretching.
Come to find out the incision I have was glued together. Good thing they told me at PT, because I would have gone to an appointment Monday to have them remove them not knowing. So we canceled that appointment. My follow up visit with my Dr. Is next week, so I'll see what he has to say about my progress.
That's it for now!
Vinnie
 
@Kerfline, hey, man, you are THIRTEEN DAYS post-op! You are doing amazingly well! Be kind to yourself and allow your body to heal at it's own pace. You've got this! :yes!:
 
@Kerfline, hey, man, you are THIRTEEN DAYS post-op! You are doing amazingly well! Be kind to yourself and allow your body to heal at it's own pace. You've got this! :yes!:

Beachgal.........I hear you loud and clear..! How are you doing with your new hip? How long before you threw away the cane?.......:thankyou:
 
Hmmm, well, I was starting my third week with PT at home when she "suggested" that my walker was causing me more trouble than the cane would so I guess maybe about 17-20 days post-op? Something like that, but I wouldn't even try to use the cane before that. Once I did, though, I never used the walker again except for getting out of the shower until I felt confident without it. But, no matter what happened with me....you need to do what YOUR body is telling you to do...what a few more days here or there? In the grand scheme of things, you'll be SO much better off going at your own pace...listen to your body...it will tell you what feels right...
 
Hmmm, well, I was starting my third week with PT at home when she "suggested" that my walker was causing me more trouble than the cane would so I guess maybe about 17-20 days post-op? Something like that, but I wouldn't even try to use the cane before that. Once I did, though, I never used the walker again except for getting out of the shower until I felt confident without it. But, no matter what happened with me....you need to do what YOUR body is telling you to do...what a few more days here or there? In the grand scheme of things, you'll be SO much better off going at your own pace...listen to your body...it will tell you what feels right...


Thanks Beachgal,...One more thing...did one leg feel longer than the other?
 
No, Vinnie, my legs were always even so I never had the sensation that some have with leg length discrepancies.
 
Hi @Kerfline, I had that feeling of a lenght discrepancy from day 1 or 2. ..as it's happens I do have a LLD. I should know by how much this week as I have an appointment with my OS.

Generally, though I think most find the sensation passes as you get more mobile. It can be due to the muscles readjusting to the change in position.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hi @NoraJ and @Kerfline - I agree with Nora...my OS said a lot of patients have this for the first few weeks (feeling the operated leg is longer than the other)...I think he said it also has to do with muscle adjustments.
 
Thanks everyone! I know in some cases people have to put a lift in their shoe.
 
My local OS tried to get me to wear a 1/4" lift in my left shoe to help offset the limping before my surgery but it felt awkward and more uneven than going without. I think he was trying to think of something to help me avoid THR but I really wish he had just told me from the beginning that I probably needed to bite the bullet. I wasted six months, trying one thing then another...don't get me started. I threw away those blasted lifts just last weekend. Sure don't need them now. :happydance:
 
I've to find out whether I need one on Friday at my appointment with doc. My PT gave me a report for my OS and is questioning whether she should measure me for a lift. I've mixed feelings about it but the back pain I had was severe enough for me to want to avoid it again. Also although my gait has improved it's still a little unsteady.

I have to get my other hip done at some point and that will hopefully level things out. That said I am hopeful it may rectify itself over time. I may be being a tad naive on that though.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Because of my left bum hip still giving me fits, I'm still using my cane. I went from two crutches to one crutch to the cane. Heck, it's less than two weeks til my next hip surgery, so I will most likely use the cane until then...then it's back to crutches for awhile.

I go from feeling like an old lady to walking into a meeting with my cane and singing "me and my shadow" and pretending to tap dance! Makes 'em laugh and I don't feel so self conscious. ( of course...I'm the boss- what can they do but laugh along?). :old::egypdance:
 
Joanna, I hope all goes well with your LTHR in a few weeks. I guess now with doing the other hip, at least you will know what to expect, which will maybe,make it easier.
I just woke up about a half hr ago and it's the best I have felt so far. I don't see my self taking a lot of pain meds today. I walked around with a cane for a while outside yesterday and it felt good to move around.
Thanks for the reply,
Blessings, Vinnie
 
I was two weeks with a walker and six with a cane. You'll know when you're ready. I was kind of parking the walker in a central area and using it as a touchstone of sorts when I realized I was ready for the cane.

My PT said getting off the cane was at my discretion as long as I wasn't in pain, so I went for it. It's much more tiring to walk without it though.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was two weeks with a walker and six with a cane. You'll know when you're ready. I was kind of parking the walker in a central area and using it as a touchstone of sorts when I realized I was ready for the cane.

My PT said getting off the cane was at my discretion as long as I wasn't in pain, so I went for it. It's much more tiring to walk without it though.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Thanks muckingabout, I am pretty much with the cane now.I know I have a ways to go and that cane won't be leaving my side anytime soon. I'm feeling better though, slept for the first time all night in bed......instead of that recliner. This is quite a process I must say. How are you feeling with your new hip?
Blessings, Vinnie
 
I'm feeling great. It was 6 weeks for me Monday. I can finally sleep on my OP side, I've been sleeping on my non-OP side for a week or two. I'm back to work full time. I get tired, but not excessively so. I might need an extra hour or so of sleep.

Recovery seems long when you are in the thick of it, but time marches on.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That is great news! That is one of the things I cannot wait to do....sleep on my OP side as that is the side I have always slept on! So back to work full time.....you are definitely going to need more sleep! Good luck and don't burn the candles at both ends?

Hugs

Cheryl
 
Good morning everyone! Last night I slept on my incision side in bed for the first time.....it felt good and slept through the night. I'm only taking extra strength Tylenol now, mostly after my PT and exercise at home. I'm just using the cane now so, bye bye walker. Hey...my wife bought me a cane at Aldi's for $10.... It's adjustable and it works great!
Anyway, mostly tightness in the morning but not much pain at all. Today I will go outside for a walk and get a little sunshine.
Blessings everyone!
Vinnie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom