THR Kerfline on the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kerfline

How did your PT go today? Must have felt good to see the outside world again! Hope you gave many more sleep filled nights!

:swim::biking::running:

Cheryl
 
@Kerfline

How did your PT go today? Must have felt good to see the outside world again! Hope you gave many more sleep filled nights!

:swim::biking::running:

Cheryl
PT went well! They had to evaluate me so they could map out an approach for therapy. The therapist was surprised how well my movements were. My left leg is about two inches thicker than my other leg from my thigh to my calve. She called it adeema (fluid) I know I didn't spell that right. She said it will go away with therapy and exercise. Friday starts my first session at 10:00am and two times each week for 6-8 wks. The day before your surgery, I have my stitches removed.(15th). I will be praying for you, so stay busy, that's what I did. I worked an 8 hr shift the day before...I'm glad I did. Just remember,it's longer for the Dr, and you will be out and then awake before you know it.
You'll taking a deep breath......and saying...ah... it's over.
Many blessings to you Cheryl!
Thinking of you,
Vinnie
 
Great that you had a good session with your PT Vinnie- on the way now. Just remember to elevate and ice. I found it was very beneficial before and after any exercise - best wishes to you :)
 
Thanks Vinnie for all the good wishes....I have been keeping busy going to the gym for strength training, cycling and swimming in the Lake.

I am so glad to hear that the PT is coming together for you...Yes the oedema will be helped by the ice and elevation. Once you are more mobile, things will start settling down! How is your incision?

Take care

:swim::biking::running:

Cheryl
 
Thanks Vinnie for all the good wishes....I have been keeping busy going to the gym for strength training, cycling and swimming in the Lake.

I am so glad to hear that the PT is coming together for you...Yes the oedema will be helped by the ice and elevation. Once you are more mobile, things will start settling down! How is your incision?

Take care

:swim::biking::running:

Cheryl
Cheryl ,The incision is about 5" long and I don't see any sutures. It just looks like a seam. I have to go to the Doctor's office on the 16th to have sutures removed.....I don't know we're he is going to pull them from.
Anyway..it's good you are staying busy and active keeping your mind off the surgery.
Are you taking an iPhone or iPad to the hospital with you?
Blessings, Vinnie
 
Well I don't have an iPhone but I will take my IPad and charger with me. I will be in two days at the most. Physio is all setup for outpatient with the same Physio guy I have had since Jan and he used to to work for the hospital with the hip patients specifically before going over to his private clinic.

I am ready to get this show on the road!

:swim::biking::running:

Cheryl
 
Well I don't have an iPhone but I will take my IPad and charger with me. I will be in two days at the most. Physio is all setup for outpatient with the same Physio guy I have had since Jan and he used to to work for the hospital with the hip patients specifically before going over to his private clinic.

I am ready to get this show on the road!

:swim::biking::running:

Cheryl

Just two days in the hospital? That's great! You'll be home in no time. Yes..bring your iPad and send me updates.
It won't be long before you'll be saying. "Hip Hip Horray"!
Blessings, Vinnie
 
Vinnie

I see by the time on your post that you were up at 4 :19 am......are you having trouble getting a full night sleep? Are you still taking the medication?

Hopefully you are able to get enough rest!

:swim::biking::running:


Cheryl
 
Vinnie

I see by the time on your post that you were up at 4 :19 am......are you having trouble getting a full night sleep? Are you still taking the medication?

Hopefully you are able to get enough rest!

:swim::biking::running:


Cheryl
I always get up in the morning around that time, though last night was not so good. Believe it or not the pain I have is no where near my new hip. It's the outside thigh muscle,from the knee up to the incision.
The nights are always worse, so that's when I take my hydrocodone. During the day I just take extra strength Tylenol.
 
Is it possible to sleep with the ice pack on your leg while in the recliner? Sounds like definite muscle pain to me as I get that type of pain after overusing single leg exercise machines at the gym.

:swim::biking::running:

Cheryl
 
Is it possible to sleep with the ice pack on your leg while in the recliner? Sounds like definite muscle pain to me as I get that type of pain after overusing single leg exercise machines at the gym.

:swim::biking::running:

Cheryl
I've been icing around the clock!
 
Oh well that sucks! Maybe it is one of those things where your leg muscles are getting used to the new stem.....hopefully it will go away soon. I still cannot believe you get up at 4 am willingly as the time to start your day! That is very impressive as I wake up then, I have a drink of water and back to bed.

:swim::biking::running:
 
Oh well that sucks! Maybe it is one of those things where your leg muscles are getting used to the new stem.....hopefully it will go away soon. I still cannot believe you get up at 4 am willingly as the time to start your day! That is very impressive as I wake up then, I have a drink of water and back to bed.

:swim::biking::running:
I've worked in the grocery business all my life and had to get up early to be at work. So I have never broke that cycle. I'm making a pot of coffee at about 4:30. Getting up early gives me more of the day, and I like that.
 
Great progress happening Vinnie - slow and steady, you will get there! :)
 
Great progress happening Vinnie - slow and steady, you will get there! :)

I go for PT today at 10:00. I'll make sure I time my pain med accordingly. The only pain I have is on the outside of my thigh,from my knee to just below my incision. You're right though...slow and steady as she goes. Can't rush this.
Blessings, Vinnie
 
I went for my PT this morning and they worked me over pretty good. Even though it was painfull at times, it felt good afterwards, all stretched out. I asked them if I could go to church on Sat.using a cane. The therapist said I should stay with the walker one more week. I told her I have been using a cane at times around the house because the walker gets in my way. So she said,"let's see how well you do with a cane". They could not believe it and said, I could switch over to the cane. I definitely will be very cautious though.
Blessings, Vinnie
 
Vinnie, if you haven't been out and around people much since your surgery, you may consider using the walker when you go to church...not so much because you need the extra support but it will help keep crowds at bay while you are experiencing maneuvering around obstacles in a social setting. I still keep my cane in my car for times when shopping becomes crowded or such! People do tend to respect a walker/cane and try to avoid bumping into you or tripping you...just think about it before you venture out....

Congrats on the good PT! Sounds like things are moving along nicely for you and so early on, too! Great planning on your part and some good luck thrown in! We'll take it!!
 
Vinnie, if you haven't been out and around people much since your surgery, you may consider using the walker when you go to church...not so much because you need the extra support but it will help keep crowds at bay while you are experiencing maneuvering around obstacles in a social setting. I still keep my cane in my car for times when shopping becomes crowded or such! People do tend to respect a walker/cane and try to avoid bumping into you or tripping you...just think about it before you venture out....

Congrats on the good PT! Sounds like things are moving along nicely for you and so early on, too! Great planning on your part and some good luck thrown in! We'll take it!!

Thanks Beachgal Our church has a side entrance that has a ramp and a handicap section inside the church which makes it nice for these type of situations. I think most of my recovery has been my attitude, praying and a lot of prayers from my parish family. I believe everyone is blessed in different ways but nothing matches the power of prayer.
Thoughtful prayers to you.
Blessings, Vinnie
 
@Kerfline, here's hoping that you have a wonderful worship experience and time of thanksgiving at church today! I was able to go last Sunday and there's just something about being in that environment that eases the tension in your shoulders and allows you to realize that we are a small part of a big world but that God is taking special care of each of us in His own way. I'm sure your THR journey has only magnified the miracles that happen to you everyday. My daily prayer is that I notice and appreciate them all! Blessings, to you, too, my friend.
:angel:
 
Sorry you're having a bit of a rough time. Everyone's experience is different. I didn't struggle so much with pain as much as swelling-- as I called it, my "mambo hip" ( which is now gone thank heavens). We will see how my second hip surgery in a couple of weeks compares to my first experience.

Try pillows in different location while you sleep in the recliner. Under right knee..under left knee..up by your hip...see if any pillow changes help. Glad to see you're checking in here and there. I got a little bit of the blues a couple of weeks in and talking to these wonderful people supporting me helped a lot. Thinking of you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom