THR ken325i - Left THR - August 12

Congrats on WOW #1! It is kind of funny how one day you can't do something and then the next you can, sometimes you don't even realize it until after you've done it!

Have to agree with the other advice you've been given, set alarm for that pain med at least for a bit longer. Most of us kind of know it's time to stop the pain meds when you forget to take it and don't really notice any pain. PT this early really isn't needed, a bit of walking in/around the house and ice, ice baby! :ice: :ice:

i am trying to transition from a walker to a cane. It seems like I am having more frequent groin pain with each bad leg step and the downward pressure. Is this common? Should I back off? I have my 2 week OS review this Thursday and had hoped to be 100% cane.

Thanks!
Ken

Hi Ken,
Please don’t push yourself. You‘re only ten days post op and many use an assistive device for a lot longer than that. Setting your sights on being free of a cane for your two week post op is a pretty ambitious goal and not where the majority are only two weeks after surgery. Consider backing off until you meet with your OS and receive reassurance from him that it’s time to transition. In the meantime, ice any areas of discomfort as it helps with pain and inflammation.
Have a great weekend!
@ken325i

Early days to eliminate the walker and use a cane. The goal is a good recovery and being able to walk properly without straining anything. Walkers give more balanced support while we practice walking correctly. I used my walker for 2-3 weeks and then used in morning and evenings when I was more tired for a while. Safety first and slow and steady progress will get you to a good outcome. Your body is telling you it is too early so please listen. Have a peaceful evening.

2 week post op today.
I am feeling really good, sleeping good, and enjoying PT 3x per week.

the only concern/issue I have is my upper thigh. It is extremely tender and sore to light massage. Also, when walking and placing downward pressure, my upper thigh really hurts. If it were not for this one pain, I would be doing great! I want to limp as a result of the pain. I know upper thigh pain is common with anterior THP. Will walking strengthen my thigh and alleviate the pain? Or should I back off and let time heal the pain? I also ice my thigh 3-4 times per day.

Thks!
Ken

What PT exercises are you doing. Any clam shells or bridging? Anything with resistance bands or weights?

Yes, all of the above. I do a variety of exercises, guided by a PT person. This person has a knowledgable understanding of PT, having earned a doctorate.

The thigh pain definitely came as a result of surgery, not PT. The PT person said if was due to muscle trauma from surgery, not bone/femur trauma. They have also been giving my thigh soft tissue massage trying to loosen the thigh muscles.

New hips do not like clam shells or bridging. These exercises are not targeted to hips - they are core stability exercises.

Of course the decision is yours. But your symptoms of thigh pain are classic after doing these exercises.

I wish you all the best in your recovery.

The muscle spasms were no joke for me and I ended up taking Valium for relief from them after going to the ER. They tried to send me home with just meloxicam. Rest well and congrats on your surgery!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ken325i another point (as a fellow anterior)-- how much ice are you using? I used lots, often, for long periods.

I am willing to bet that if you give those clams and bridges a rest for some time, your lower back, glutes, hip flexors, quads, and other insulted tissues will still be there (only less insulted), so will the PT, and-- you won't have used up all your year's PT benefits!

I was so bad with the cane that I didn't actually use it for support-- only for a "proprioceptive cue" (my phrase). My hands and wrists are arthritic, so supporting weight with them was not a good idea. I used the walker until, essentially, I needed nothing but self-defense. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my 2 week OS review today.
All looking good and recovery going OK.
Key points from OS:
- Don't push it so hard; you will hurt; back off some and be more patient
- No golf yet, other than putting
- No swimming yet
- Thigh pain is caused from muscle trauma; big, athletic guys have more pain/trauma due to larger muscles that must be pulled and separated (anterior); continue PT, icing, walking and massage - the pain will go away.
- Can begin driving when not using meds, ex. go to PT
- Follow up appt in 4 weeks

My most important take away - SLOW DOWN, smell and enjoy the roses!! Let it HEAL! DUHHHH - this is the same message from the "very knowledgable" moderators!!

Thanks
Ken

Sounds like maybe your surgeon is a BoneSmartie! :rotfl:
Glad you had a good follow up appointment, it's always so good for our morales.
It applies to PT, too. If something causes pain, just stop it, wait a week and try it again. Like the OS said, your soft tissues in and around your hip were traumatized.
the one exercise that hurt me was that simple heel slide. Then around week 3 or 4 it was easy to do and I don't think it affected my recovery in any way by waiting.

This person has a knowledgable understanding of PT, having earned a doctorate.

This doesn’t matter if what they advise causes pain. They don’t feel, what you feel. Plus, they can and do make mistakes, sometimes to the detriment of the patient suffering needlessly for days or weeks. We read it over and over again here. With that said, I’m not against PT. I attended a few sessions, myself. Just be careful allowing your body to be your guide.

It sounds like you had a wonderful visit with the surgeon. So nice to get the reassurance that all looks good and you’re progressing as you should. Keep up the good work and have a wonderful weekend!

Well Ken...it’s been a month since your surgery already! Happy Anniversary!
Hopefully the worst of recovery is behind you and you’re enjoying progress and begining to engage in life again. Please let us know how you’re doing, we’d love to hear from you.
Wishing you a beautiful Autumn season! :SUNsmile:
@ken325i

Hi Layla!
Recovery has been OK. I have no hip/incision pain. The only pain/issue I have is thigh muscle pain when I walk. In the house I walk without a cane, when out, I use a cane. I understand it takes time to recover, just wish I knew how much. Have been going to PT 3x per week. It helps loosen my thigh muscles. If it weren't for the thigh pain, this would be a piece of cake! I have a 6 week f/up with my OS and hope he will release me for light gym workouts and swimming. Overall, I am pleased with the surgery and recovery.

Thanks!
Ken

I had anterior bilateral hip replacement and my quads were very tender for quite some time...and I found out they become more so if I continued to push it since it only seems that it mostly hurts when you stop!

Makes it hard to find the lines.

Yes, you are absolutely correct---it can be very frustrating and time seems to---does, actually creep by when we recover from these procedures.

Please remember what has been done to your body---you were sliced open, a bone was cut, some things were pounded, screwed, glued, muscles and skin were bruised, too, you were physically manhandled while you were under, and then you were closed back up! The tightness is from injured muscles trying to heal.
I am concerned about you "working" this recovery because much really is time and not continually overtaxing the soft tissue that has been traumatized.

Healing from self induced tendonitis can set you back months

These things take some time to recover from, and, unfortunately, it may take longer than we would like it to, but we are not the ones scheduling the recovery/rehab; our body does that.

We are used to the "no pain, no gain" mentality and want our lives to re-assemble themselves very quickly---and that, unfortunately is not the case.

Take your time, relax, and know that down the road, you will be pain-free and loving it. I had to learn what patience truly is---many of us had to, as well...

When one considers how long it took for our bodies to become this way, some months of recovery/rehab really are nothing.

Have been going to PT 3x per week. It helps loosen my thigh muscles. If it weren't for the thigh pain, this would be a piece of cake!

What if the PT 3x weekly is your problem, Ken? Would you consider giving it a break for a week, or two, doing some dedicated icing and walking for about 30 minutes a day, only if you’re comfortable with that amount of time? Just something to ponder...
I hope today is a relaxing one, followed by a great week!

@Layla
Yes, I think you have a good idea! I could use a break from PT.

Also, a couple of things I forgot to mention:
1. Walking - on PT days I walk once for 20 minutes; on non PT days, I walk twice, each for 20 minutes.

2. Possible Infection - I have a match head hole at the top of my incision, which is exactly where my belt/waistline is. Since removing the surgical bandage at week 2, my underwear/shorts have rubbed/irritated this area. This matchhead hole has been weeping a discharge. The hole also appears to have dead skin around it -- similar to a small blister that has opened. The rest of the incision, below my waistline, is totally healed. I have a call into my OS. Do you have any thoughts comments? Can I cover this area with a non stick pad to eliminate the beltline irritation? Any other ideas?

Thks
Ken

Hi again Ken,
I’m happy to hear you’re willing to take a step back from PT and see if icing and walking alone for exercise is enough for you. Hopefully your discomfort eases during this time.

Wondering if your surgeon saw the opening in your incision at your post op visit 2 1/2 weeks ago? Ask your OS if you can send them a photo of your oozing incision. If it were me, I’d cover it at least until you talk to the surgeon or PA. Is it possible to wear some soft waisted sweat pants, or athletic type of pants until it heals? Anything that would cause less rubbing / friction.
Stay in touch and let us know what you hear.
@ken325i

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom