Guest viewing is limited

THR Kazza22's Recovery

Kazza,
Yes, most likely will sort itself out, mine was a little shorter but now the replacement has seemed to settle into place and I don't notice the difference as I did early on.
Be sure you are wearing good pair of shoes, helps tremendously.
And as I'm sure you are reading no two surgeries are the same. I had posterior surgery and it was difficult to sit anywhere for any length of time.
 
Physio said it'll probably sort itself out in time but i've googled it and nowhere does it say that it goes,
As far as Leg Length Differential goes, you're not alone, many feel this sensation post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.
 
Physio said it'll probably sort itself out in time but i've googled it and nowhere does it say that it goes,
As far as Leg Length Differential goes, you're not alone, many feel this sensation post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.
Thank you @Layla. It's reassuring to hear someone else backup the physio and, like everything else that doesn't seem to have gone as well as my first THR, I've got to wait it out and hope things resolve
 
Kazza,
Yes, most likely will sort itself out, mine was a little shorter but now the replacement has seemed to settle into place and I don't notice the difference as I did early on.
Be sure you are wearing good pair of shoes, helps tremendously.
And as I'm sure you are reading no two surgeries are the same. I had posterior surgery and it was difficult to sit anywhere for any length of time.
Thankyou for the reassurance. Can I ask how long it took both for the leg length difference to settle and for you to be able to sit? I suppose, at 6 weeks, I am still early days but when you're told that you can go back to work at 6 weeks, you just presume you'll be back to normal at that stage. I feel very far removed from normal unfortunately and, actually, still feel in a worse state than before my op
 
I think first couple of months were difficult sitting in one place for too long. I couldn't sit on my couch in living room cause it was too low and too soft, we brought in one of the dining room chairs so I could watch TV for awhile in there but most nights in the early days I'd just watch Netflix on my laptop in bed.
Even going out for lunch with friends I couldn't do for too long. But it will get better. I flew at 4 months post op on non stop 4 hour flight and was totally fine, just a little stiff when I got back up.
As far as the leg length it just seemed to go back to normal after a few months. There were days I thought there was still a little difference and others seemed perfectly fine, but now at 8 months post op the implant has sorted itself out.
As you've read this is close to a one year recovery so you are so early in recovery things will still feel a little off some days. This is a patience game. I was working prior to my accident and I'm starting to feel now I could go back to work.
 
I think we expect this surgery and recovery to go “by the book” when, in fact, it’s a personal journey. There is nothing about it that adheres to the rules but there is much wisdom on BS to use as a sliding scale. Try not to fret over the difference in leg length this early and keep your thoughts on the more positive aspects of your recovery. Most of what worries us will be handled naturally as the body heals. Be encouraged and focus on the things you can do to make yourself comfortable and in a good place. Just think of the better days ahead with faith that they are out there for you if you’re patient.
:loveshwr:
 
I think first couple of months were difficult sitting in one place for too long. I couldn't sit on my couch in living room cause it was too low and too soft, we brought in one of the dining room chairs so I could watch TV for awhile in there but most nights in the early days I'd just watch Netflix on my laptop in bed.
Even going out for lunch with friends I couldn't do for too long. But it will get better. I flew at 4 months post op on non stop 4 hour flight and was totally fine, just a little stiff when I got back up.
As far as the leg length it just seemed to go back to normal after a few months. There were days I thought there was still a little difference and others seemed perfectly fine, but now at 8 months post op the implant has sorted itself out.
As you've read this is close to a one year recovery so you are so early in recovery things will still feel a little off some days. This is a patience game. I was working prior to my accident and I'm starting to feel now I could go back to work.
Thank you so much for this. I've just found myself crying to a very upbeat Pitbull song?? Emotions are everywhere today. The more I hear the length difference just sorts itself out, the less anxious I feel though so I really appreciate your reply xx
 
Hi @Kazza22
I hope you're feeling better emotionally over the past couple weeks since you last posted. Its a special day...
Happy Two Month Anniversary! Wishing you a good week, happy holiday season and all things good in the New Year!
 
Hi @Kazza22
I hope you're feeling better emotionally over the past couple weeks since you last posted. Its a special day...
Happy Two Month Anniversary! Wishing you a good week, happy holiday season and all things good in the New Year!
Thank you Layla. Don't mean to be a moaner but still not sleeping well and still in a fair bit of pain. Apparently during my surgery, the surgeon also corrected a pelvis misalignment which has caused my brain to now think I have a longer leg and also resulted in a lot more pulling etc if muscles hence the continued pain. Physio says my brain is confused now and that actually, my legs are more aligned than before but brain has to get used to it!! Very strange. Physio is keeping an eye on me though and very supportive, says to try not to think about it and hopefully, everything will adjust in a couple more months. Thankyou for your kind words, as always x
 
Hi again,
I know it can be difficult and you're not a moaner. We go into this surgery in pain and its difficult if we feel we're dealing with too much pain, or pain lasting too long once we're post op. Two months in is not very long in the whole scheme of things when you think of how long you'll have the prosthetic. Pain at only two months post op is not uncommon. If you've stopped icing while dealing with pain, try doing so again. Ice any / all areas of discomfort. I know you've read this before - Apparent LLD occurs because, before surgery, the patient has been compensating for their hip pain by tilting the pelvis to put more weight on their good leg. An activity like this becomes a learned posture and can become entrenched in the patient's mind and/or body. Actually both legs are the same length and over a period of a few months, this posture will correct itself or can be helped to correct itself with the guidance of a knowledgeable PT.

As for sleeping, what worked for me (and still does) is pillows! I hoard them. Bed pillows that is. Soft ones, ones that are more firm etc. I rest an arm on one, a leg on another and sleep with an inexpensive body pillow always at my side to place between legs somewhat so my hips remain level. Try gathering up some bed pillows and see if it offers more comfort and hopefully better sleep overnight. Best wishes!
@Kazza22
 
Thanks @Layla, it's reassuring to hear your comments about the LLD. OT was mentioning scoliosis today, I prefer your version of why my leg feels longer and hope it sorts itself out. I'm definitely still icing and it does offer some relief. Not sure y husband is overly keen on all the pillows, lol, our bed doesn't seem big enough! I generally still sleep on my back but am desperate to get back on my side (it's warmer for a start). I use 2 pillows between my legs when on my side but can only last an hour max before it's too painful and I'm back on my back. Hopefully this will gradually increase though.
 
@Kazza22, my husband isn’t keen on all my pillows either, he says he’s going to make a bonfire and burn them all as soon as he gets the chance LOL
To be fair, there is only so much room in the bed, especially when the dog wants to join us too!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Kazza22's Recovery
    IMG_20211115_113716444.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 66
Have you talked to either your OS or your GP about sleep medication? Without sufficient sleep I am useless.

It was suggested I use gabapentin and it worked. I never used it daily, usually every other day for 2 months. My surgery was August 1st. I still use it occasionally, maybe 1x a week.
 
Have you talked to either your OS or your GP about sleep medication? Without sufficient sleep I am useless.

It was suggested I use gabapentin and it worked. I never used it daily, usually every other day for 2 months. My surgery was August 1st. I still use it occasionally, maybe 1x a week.
I was hoping the parents n would've warn off enough to sleep better by now. I did have similar problem with my first THR and was given amitriptyline but as I'm still taking oxycodine, didn't want to take more drugs.
 
Hi, @Kazza22 -- I'm interested in your LLD/scoliosis issues as I share them. I had a pretty major lateral pelvic tilt after hip #1 was done, two years ago. Hip #2 was done almost two months ago and the pelvic tilt is much resolved but there's still a LLD of a few mm which the OS says should probably resolve. It felt much worse right after surgery and I already think it feels a lot better. As @Layla explained, we learn ways of compensating. So now that my lateral pelvic tilt has been "fixed," I'm experienced an anterior tilt! I am still experiencing more muscle pain walking and in the morning (nothing earth-shattering but enough to notice). I had sort of decided against PT but now think I really will need some gait work and when I went to register for PT was told I had to wait until mid-December. In the meantime, I'm hoping I don't do more damage to myself with my waddling walk. Not sure how scoliosis figures into the equation but my OS did say I might benefit from seeing a chiropractor along with PT.
 
Hi, @Kazza22 -- I'm interested in your LLD/scoliosis issues as I share them. I had a pretty major lateral pelvic tilt after hip #1 was done, two years ago. Hip #2 was done almost two months ago and the pelvic tilt is much resolved but there's still a LLD of a few mm which the OS says should probably resolve. It felt much worse right after surgery and I already think it feels a lot better. As @Layla explained, we learn ways of compensating. So now that my lateral pelvic tilt has been "fixed," I'm experienced an anterior tilt! I am still experiencing more muscle pain walking and in the morning (nothing earth-shattering but enough to notice). I had sort of decided against PT but now think I really will need some gait work and when I went to register for PT was told I had to wait until mid-December. In the meantime, I'm hoping I don't do more damage to myself with my waddling walk. Not sure how scoliosis figures into the equation but my OS did say I might benefit from seeing a chiropractor along with PT.
Hi. My PT did a lot of checks today on my flexibility, movement and posture as I was worried about the LLD. He said I have mild scoliosis which he felt has caused a long term pelvic misalignment. I did have chiropractic treatment years ago, I thought it was low back pain but was told it was due to my pelvis. So this does seem to make sense. Both THR's were necessary due to dysplasia so it would seem I have pelvis issues! Surgeon suggested the LLD would resolve itself, physio says I would need 0.5cm to resolve the leg length, so it's not huge (but I still need to tiptoe on non operated leg when legs are close together). My calf pain/aches are awful - physio said likely due to sciatic nerve compression caused during manipulation in the surgery - so hope this wears off!!
 
The scoliosis / long term pelvic misalignment correlation does seem to explain our common symptoms. It's funny, after my first surgery, where the pelvic tilt was really obvious on the x-rays, everybody on the team asked if I felt a leg length discrepancy. I felt none at all. After the second surgery, where the pelvic tilt looked nearly resolved, nobody asked and I really *did* feel it. I could stand on my "bad" foot an my "good" foot wouldn't even touch the floor. Now, when I do that check, both feet are earthbound. So, maybe it really is a case of dealing with restoring our muscle strength.
 
Hi @Kazza22,
I went through a sleepless spell and found some "Dark Screen Rain on Roof" Youtube videos that last about 10 hours. I still took some time to fall asleep, but I stayed asleep, which is something I worried I might never do again. They are part of my nightly regimen now. May not be feasible or worthwhile for you, but thought I'd mention it.
Wishing you sound sleep!
 
The scoliosis / long term pelvic misalignment correlation does seem to explain our common symptoms. It's funny, after my first surgery, where the pelvic tilt was really obvious on the x-rays, everybody on the team asked if I felt a leg length discrepancy. I felt none at all. After the second surgery, where the pelvic tilt looked nearly resolved, nobody asked and I really *did* feel it. I could stand on my "bad" foot an my "good" foot wouldn't even touch the floor. Now, when I do that check, both feet are earthbound. So, maybe it really is a case of dealing with restoring our muscle strength.
Thankyou @Woodstockhip, this is so good to hear! Exactly what I said to my husband...I would never have said I had an LLD before this op and now they're saying it's been fixed but I feel the difference for sure...very strange. But, I feel slightly reassured that their words if, "give it time" can be true.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom