THR Kazza22's Recovery

:sigh:
I don't like cold.
I was lucky enough to be recovering during the very hot summer here in Georgia USA...
Actually our summer is still lingering..
May also try to replace one oxy dose a day with paracetamol+ ibuprofen to start weening off it.
I guess you aren't taking any blood thinners if you are considering the NSAID Ibuprofen (I was on a low dose of aspirin twice per day for the first 2 weeks) as that can be a concern with bleeding. Please check with the doctor's office if you have any confusion.

I think if you could cut back in the day and save the tough stuff for night, the side effects might be less annoying.

I got new hips at age 53 which I thought was CRAZY.. but I am so happy to have my recovery behind me and no longer feel old before my time:chuckmarch:

Hope today is a better day.
 
I'm still taking anti coagulation injections given to me at hospital (have to inject for 28days post op), so am I right in thinking I shouldn't be taking ibuprofen? I self prescribed it, GP just said paracetamol but didn't seem to work as well. Eeek, think I'd better stop the ibuprofen then...thank goodness for your advice, never read about that issue.

I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 44, my local hospital wouldn't operate cos of my age. 5 years later and years of constant pain and inability to walk/stand for long, I asked to go to another hospital and finally got my right hip replacement at 49. A month after I turned 50 I got my left one done...late birthday present, lol.
 
Depression is real and I certainly experienced it so have a good cry and you will feel better.
Your independence has been taken from you temporarily. I think if you regard it as temporary it gets you through a little easier.
for now ice, rest and do what you can, join the patience club and all will work out.
You will witness small milestones then bigger ones.
I wish you well.
Thank you. I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow, the stinging around the wound when I sit has pretty much gone now and that has improved my mood. Haven't cried for a couple of days now so hopefully the dark cloud has lifted (though, if course, I know I will still have rough moments).
 
Blimey K depression are you a Utd supporter too ! how do you think I feel after getting leathered by City last week.
Comparing the two ops maybe not the best ( says me not having a scooby) plus having a second op so soon after your last is surely going to be different.
That’s brave too K , but the good news is your on your way to recovery , slowly yea but you all can’t be like me ! two major ops inside 12 month is immense, I’m still miles off 18:month on.
Also if you were in pre op pain , post the new gadget is going to take time to settle, something that never dawned on me , so all those bits are gunna have to recovery , readjust.And it ain’t coming out now is it , fingers crossed , so get on with it girl , you’ll be fine.
Good luck K and remember slowly slowly ‘ I’ll see you when you get there ‘ all the best( and too Hubby , bet he’s going through it , all that washing and ironing ) hahahah
Thanks John. I think it's easy to forget there was only 10 months between my two ops. I did recover really well from the first op, until 4 months in and my left hip started playing up! I'm 3 weeks tomorrow post op now and do feel some definite improvement so that really helps the mood. Just need to reduce the meds now.

Btw, we're West Ham fans here so, I most definitely share your football pain
 
Kazza,
I got my new hip when I turned 70 on vacation! LOL! Most people buy a tee shirt but not me, go big or go home!!!
It will take awhile to feel comfortable when sitting. I was quite restless, sit here and there for awhile but being up and around or laying on my bed in those early days were most comfortable.
 
I'm still taking anti coagulation injections given to me at hospital (have to inject for 28days post op), so am I right in thinking I shouldn't be taking ibuprofen? I self prescribed it, GP just said paracetamol but didn't seem to work as well. Eeek, think I'd better stop the ibuprofen then
Please do...Taking blood thinners and NSAIDs together can raise the risk of bleeding. ... drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve).

We certainly don't need any complications, right.
A few weeks from now, you will see a lot of improvement.
Joint replacement is an amazing "cure" but there is significant healing going on and it is just a snapshot in time.
You've got this.
 
I'm still taking anti coagulation injections given to me at hospital (have to inject for 28days post op), so am I right in thinking I shouldn't be taking ibuprofen? I self prescribed it, GP just said paracetamol but didn't seem to work as well. Eeek, think I'd better stop the ibuprofen then
Please do...Taking blood thinners and NSAIDs together can raise the risk of bleeding. ... drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve).

We certainly don't need any complications, right.
A few weeks from now, you will see a lot of improvement.
Joint replacement is an amazing "cure" but there is significant healing going on and it is just a snapshot in time.
You've got this.
Had a bit of a panic when saw your reply, explains why GP told me to take paracetamol not ibuprofen. Looked back at meds diary and was only taking ibuprofen for 3 days so hopefully, no damage done! Thank you so much again for pointing this out to me
 
You are welcome :friends:

I'm sure it is fine as it was only a few days maybe.
I was very grateful to find Bonesmart when I was recovering...
Collective wisdom from folks who have been there and done that. :ok:
 
@dnordo220 Very early days for you - especially if you suffered a dislocation. Did they give you any restrictions post op? The major movement to avoid early days post anterior is stepping backward on the op leg. Anterior approach hippie should not do a golfers reach in the first weeks out.
golfersreach.jpg

New hips also hate any twisting movements. But note these restrictions are only temporary. Just listen to that hip. As you know - it will quickly tell you if it is unhappy.
Hi @Jaycey. I had my LTHR nearly 4 weeks ago. Wasn't told if it was going to be anterior or posterior, I'm presuming it was posterior as my wound is on my buttock. I wasn't given any restrictions, which reading people's posts on here is making me worry that maybe I should have?? I don't want to do anything that could cause more problems. I'm youngish (just turned 50) but a bit overweight and this is my second THR, right was done 10months ago. I'd really appreciate your advice
 
Please notice that I moved the above post from another members thread to your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

You asked the above question after viewing the italicized commentary (below) from, Jaycey, to another member. -

"Very early days for you - especially if you suffered a dislocation. Did they give you any restrictions post op? The major movement to avoid early days post anterior is stepping backward on the op leg. Anterior approach hippie should not do a golfers reach in the first weeks out.
golfersreach.jpg


New hips also hate any twisting movements. But note these restrictions are only temporary. Just listen to that hip. As you know - it will quickly tell you if it is unhappy."

You mentioned that you're unsure of the surgical approach your surgeon used. Here is an article that may help you determine the approach your OS used - THR approaches or incisions

If you didn't receive any restrictions, I wouldn't worry about it. Many don't receive restrictions these days. I didn't myself. If you received restrictions for your first THR and you feel following them will make you feel more safe, then go ahead and follow them. Otherwise just be thoughtful in your movements and if anything hurts, STOP, don't do it.

All the best to you!
@Kazza22
 
Thanks @Layla. I didn't have restrictions with the first so expect I don't need them this time either. I'm still in quite a bit of pain generally so am taking it easy and not rushing recovery
 
I'm still in quite a bit of pain generally so am taking it easy and not rushing recovery
Not surprising since you're only weeks out from the controlled trauma of major surgery. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and you'll slowly heal. You're coming up on your one year anniversary of your right THR already next month. I'm betting 2023 will be a good year for you. :happydance:
 
Restrictions are just more of an awareness thing, some take it as if I violate the restrictions my leg will fall off. If you are aware of what has been done to you to perform the surgery then you won't force movements in that direction. Instead of explaining it all to patients they just give people restrictions, it's easier. If you had posterior then that is the direction they rotated the femur in to perform the procedure. By doing that they stretched the muscles in that direction so they are weak. The restrictions are to prevent putting pressure on those muscles which could allow a dislocation or just prevent them from healing. The less you strain the damaged muscles the quicker they will heal.
 
Hello Kazza22, I hope you're having a better day today and not in too much pain.
I just wanted to add a bit more about medication.....I take Tramacet for my pain ( Fibromyalgia and hip).
It is a combination of Tramadol and Paracetamol ( more paracetamol than Tramadol). It works better for me than Tramadol on it's own. However, you take it 6 hourly.
I'm having my THR three weeks today..8th November, and I'm hoping that will be enough for my post op pain. I can't tolerate morphine or codeine.
I will follow your posts with interest. Take care and I wish you a good recovery..
 
Restrictions are just more of an awareness thing, some take it as if I violate the restrictions my leg will fall off. If you are aware of what has been done to you to perform the surgery then you won't force movements in that direction. Instead of explaining it all to patients they just give people restrictions, it's easier. If you had posterior then that is the direction they rotated the femur in to perform the procedure. By doing that they stretched the muscles in that direction so they are weak. The restrictions are to prevent putting pressure on those muscles which could allow a dislocation or just prevent them from healing. The less you strain the damaged muscles the quicker they will heal.
Aargh, ok, thankyou. So posterior isn't to do with the incision? I felt like I'd been kicked by a horse in my buttock for the first 2 weeks, so that makes sense.
 
Hello Kazza22, I hope you're having a better day today and not in too much pain.
I just wanted to add a bit more about medication.....I take Tramacet for my pain ( Fibromyalgia and hip).
It is a combination of Tramadol and Paracetamol ( more paracetamol than Tramadol). It works better for me than Tramadol on it's own. However, you take it 6 hourly.
I'm having my THR three weeks today..8th November, and I'm hoping that will be enough for my post op pain. I can't tolerate morphine or codeine.
I will follow your posts with interest. Take care and I wish you a good recovery..
Thankyou. Fair bit of pain today but heyho, it's part of the process. I took 6-8 tramadol a day for the 2 years pre-op and will probably go back to it, if needed, after I finish the oxycodone. My GP has just prescribed 2 more weeks of oxy because I'm still needing them every 6 hours and said it's twice as strong as tramadol (though I'm surprised it's that much stronger?)
 
Restrictions are just more of an awareness thing, some take it as if I violate the restrictions my leg will fall off. If you are aware of what has been done to you to perform the surgery then you won't force movements in that direction. Instead of explaining it all to patients they just give people restrictions, it's easier. If you had posterior then that is the direction they rotated the femur in to perform the procedure. By doing that they stretched the muscles in that direction so they are weak. The restrictions are to prevent putting pressure on those muscles which could allow a dislocation or just prevent them from healing. The less you strain the damaged muscles the quicker they will heal.
Aargh, ok, thankyou. So posterior isn't to do with the incision? I felt like I'd been kicked by a horse in my buttock for the first 2 weeks, so that makes sense.
Performing a posterior THR means they make the incision in the posterior of your body and then they rotate the head of the femur towards the posterior incision so they can remove the head and install the implant.
 
I'm now 4 weeks post op. Most of my pain is in my calf/round my knee of my operated leg. I massage like mad and ice but does anyone have any other ideas to reduce the pain. My sleep is badly affected still, up every 1-2 hours with aches and restless legs and I'm still on oxycodone. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
 
Last edited:
You will continue to experience these "migrating" pains for a while. Even though it can be annoying or disconcerting, it is just part of the recovery, unfortunately. As the muscles and other tissues get back to more normal action, it takes them a while to settle. Just keep icing what hurts and taking what pain meds seem to help.

The sleep issues are also, again unfortunately, normal as well. The best thing to do is to try and not let it get to you. Get up if you're tossing and turning until you get sleepy again. Try and catch a nap whenever you can. Usually this straightens itself out. Some have taken supplements that seem to help. If you continue to have sleep issues after several weeks, you can always discuss it with your doctor. That is what I had to do but we got it resolved. Good news: it's all temporary. Bad news: it takes a lot of patience. Hang in there. You're doing just fine. Keep us posted.
 
My sleep is badly affected still, up every 1-2 hours with aches and restless legs and I'm still on oxycodone. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
You may want to read up on Magnesium as a consideration. Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)


An article on Magnesium from the BoneSmart Library-
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I agree with all that Hip4life mentioned above. The symptoms you've mentioned are common and thankfully only temporary. I hope they begin easing for you soon.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom