THR Kazza22's Recovery

You will continue to experience these "migrating" pains for a while. Even though it can be annoying or disconcerting, it is just part of the recovery, unfortunately. As the muscles and other tissues get back to more normal action, it takes them a while to settle. Just keep icing what hurts and taking what pain meds seem to help.

The sleep issues are also, again unfortunately, normal as well. The best thing to do is to try and not let it get to you. Get up if you're tossing and turning until you get sleepy again. Try and catch a nap whenever you can. Usually this straightens itself out. Some have taken supplements that seem to help. If you continue to have sleep issues after several weeks, you can always discuss it with your doctor. That is what I had to do but we got it resolved. Good news: it's all temporary. Bad news: it takes a lot of patience. Hang in there. You're doing just fine. Keep us posted.
Thankyou for the reassurance. I've never been a patient person, lol but I have tried to not get stressed about the lack of sleep and even 'enjoy' watching a good programme during the night
 
My sleep is badly affected still, up every 1-2 hours with aches and restless legs and I'm still on oxycodone. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
You may want to read up on Magnesium as a consideration. Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)


An article on Magnesium from the BoneSmart Library-
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I agree with all that Hip4life mentioned above. The symptoms you've mentioned are common and thankfully only temporary. I hope they begin easing for you soon.
Thankyou for the article @Layla
 
Hi @Kazza22
That patience muscle does get strained during a THR recovery :groan: and I was so sleep deprived prior to my BTHR, that the inability to stay comfortable to sleep well certainly was frustrating during my early months of recovery.
Time,apparently, unfortunately... appeared to eventually be the key. All Temporary.

I took 6-8 tramadol a day for the 2 years pre-op and will probably go back to it, if needed, after I finish the oxycodone. My GP has just prescribed 2 more weeks of oxy because I'm still needing them every 6 hours and said it's twice as strong as tramadol (though I'm surprised it's that much stronger?)
If you are doing okay on the oxy, then I'd say stay the course.
I will say - that when I transitioned to Tramadol and Tylenol (neither of which did squat for my pre-op pain) that I was amazed at how well it worked for surgical pain.

Keep the faith, hippie pal.
You will get there.:friends:
 
Hi @Kazza22
That patience muscle does get strained during a THR recovery :groan: and I was so sleep deprived prior to my BTHR, that the inability to stay comfortable to sleep well certainly was frustrating during my early months of recovery.
Time,apparently, unfortunately... appeared to eventually be the key. All Temporary.

I took 6-8 tramadol a day for the 2 years pre-op and will probably go back to it, if needed, after I finish the oxycodone. My GP has just prescribed 2 more weeks of oxy because I'm still needing them every 6 hours and said it's twice as strong as tramadol (though I'm surprised it's that much stronger?)
If you are doing okay on the oxy, then I'd say stay the course.
I will say - that when I transitioned to Tramadol and Tylenol (neither of which did squat for my pre-op pain) that I was amazed at how well it worked for surgical pain.

Keep the faith, hippie pal.
You will get there.:friends:
Thanks so much @Mojo333. On a '2steps forward, 1 step back" day today. Had a good day yesterday but paying for it today. Weather is dreadful here today so I'm staying warm (apart from the icepacked leg, lol) and watching Netflix!
 
Good Plan!
At one month out - I felt those Postop Blues, Cabin Fever was setting in, and recovery was getting BOOORING:bored:

Now that I am back to a busy hectic life, I kind of miss those lazy days of recovery...well...
Minus the Pain, Walker, Toilet Riser ....okay, never mind:snork:

Hope today is a good rejuvenating day!
 
Good Plan!
At one month out - I felt those Postop Blues, Cabin Fever was setting in, and recovery was getting BOOORING:bored:

Now that I am back to a busy hectic life, I kind of miss those lazy days of recovery...well...
Minus the Pain, Walker, Toilet Riser ....okay, never mind:snork:

Hope today is a good rejuvenating day!
You're right, post op blues back today. Feeling very tearful and sad this evening, can't snap out of it but hopefully will feel better tomorrow.
 
You're right, post op blues back today. Feeling very tearful and sad this evening, can't snap out of it but hopefully will feel better tomorrow.
Try to get outdoors in nature and hopefully some fresh air and sunshine today in your neck of the woods.
Other ideas - Assemble a crossword puzzle, purchase a fresh set of colored pencils and an adult coloring book, plan a vacation for when you're feeling better, start a recipe collection or add to your current collection, play online games, give yourself a manicure, send emails or texts to friends, re-arrange or fill a photo album, listen to your favorite music, read a book or favorite magazine. Invite someone over for coffee and dessert, or better yet, go meet someone for a quick lunch. Call a friend you haven't spoken to in awhile. Watch a series on Netflix. Check out the Social Room here also if you haven't yet. Lots there to engage in and occupy your mind. Social Room
I think forcing yourself to stay mentally engaged will do wonders for your mood.
Best wishes and a belated Happy One Month Anniversary. I hope the fog lifts soon. We're here for you if you need us. :console2:
 
Hope today is a Good Day, @Kazza22
:friends:
Thanks Mojo333 for checking in. Went food shopping this morning so walking round supermarket for an hour - pretty sore at end but rest and icepack did the trick (no need for meds!!) This is huge progress so I'm chuffed. Night times are still a bit challenging but I bought magnesium tablets today so hoping they'll help with the cramps.
 
You're right, post op blues back today. Feeling very tearful and sad this evening, can't snap out of it but hopefully will feel better tomorrow.
Try to get outdoors in nature and hopefully some fresh air and sunshine today in your neck of the woods.
Other ideas - Assemble a crossword puzzle, purchase a fresh set of colored pencils and an adult coloring book, plan a vacation for when you're feeling better, start a recipe collection or add to your current collection, play online games, give yourself a manicure, send emails or texts to friends, re-arrange or fill a photo album, listen to your favorite music, read a book or favorite magazine. Invite someone over for coffee and dessert, or better yet, go meet someone for a quick lunch. Call a friend you haven't spoken to in awhile. Watch a series on Netflix. Check out the Social Room here also if you haven't yet. Lots there to engage in and occupy your mind. Social Room
I think forcing yourself to stay mentally engaged will do wonders for your mood.
Best wishes and a belated Happy One Month Anniversary. I hope the fog lifts soon. We're here for you if you need us. :console2:
Thanks so much @Layla. I do feel better today - went out shopping with the hubby this morning and bought ingredients to make a special dessert with my son. A friend came round this afternoon and was great to catch up with her. Just have the odd moments when things get a bit much or feel sorry for yourself but I've snapped out of it
 
Kazza,
Those early recovery days really flirt with your emotions, one day you feel like all is well, next day it's doomsday!
All part of the process.
Comfy warm bed and Netflix sounds like a plan!
So true. Emotions can go to extremes, especially with lack of sleep, pain and isolation thrown in. Feeling much better today, sure I'll have another down time but will keep it in perspective
 
Happy you got out and did some grocery shopping, I found a few hours out made me feel so much better.
Have a wonderful Sunday.
 
Hi everyone. I'm now 5 and a half weeks post op. Not recovering as well as I'd hoped, or as well as my first THR last November. I think a lot of the problem is the wound - it's not red or hot but there is a large, firm lump on the wound which no amount of icing is reducing. Is this normal? It also feels like a pinched nerve in my buttock and still painful to sit down from the wound. My previous op, the surgeon cut more on my side than the buttock and used glue over staples - so much better recovery, I wish I'd known to ask for the same. Anyone else having pain/swelling still with the wound 5/6 weeks post op?
 
@Kazza22 Have you talked to your surgeon recently about this lump? If not I think you should. I don't know what is causing this but it is not usual. Could be a stitch that did not dissolve properly or some other issue. Maybe take a close up, clear picture of the lump and email that to the surgeon along with the pain issues you are having.
 
@Kazza22 Have you talked to your surgeon recently about this lump? If not I think you should. I don't know what is causing this but it is not usual. Could be a stitch that did not dissolve properly or some other issue. Maybe take a close up, clear picture of the lump and email that to the surgeon along with the pain issues you are having.
I don't get to see the surgeon (or more likely his registrar) until 9th November but am seeing physio and GP on Monday so will ask them both. Thankyou for your advice
 
Hi, everyone - I am scheduled for a posterior hip replacement September 21. I am 56 years old and I was born with a congenital hip birth defect likely due to my Dad's exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. I've also been pretty hard on my hips over the years! I am concerned about being so young to get surgery, but I can't live like this.
Hi @avanoz. How are you getting on? I also had my left THR on 21st September. I've just turned 50, had my right done last year, both due to hip dysplasia. Sounds like we're in a similar situation so thought I'd get in touch I've found it a slower recovery than after my first op (or maybe I'm just remembering with rose tinted glasses?!) but at nearly 6 weeks, I finally had a decent night's sleep last night and starting to reduce my pain meds (but I've been on strong opiates for 4/5 years due to the pain in my hips and NHS hospital not wanting to give me a hip replacement at mid 40's). Would be good to hear how you're getting on, well I hope
 
@Kazza22

Thank you for reaching out to @avanoz and asking about her. I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Since avanoz doesn’t have a recovery thread yet, I’ve moved the post to your thread. She’ll find it here when she comes back.

Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey. :flwrysmile:
 
@Kazza22

Thank you for reaching out to @avanoz and asking about her. I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Since avanoz doesn’t have a recovery thread yet, I’ve moved the post to your thread. She’ll find it here when she comes back.

Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey. :flwrysmile:
Okey doke. Apologies, I didn't see the PM option until after I'd posted and didn't know not to post to September. Thanks for moving it to the correct/best location x
 
Hi everyone. I'm now 6 weeks post op. My physio said I have a slightly longer operated leg and now that I have started walking a little without crutches, I am very aware of it (as quite a lump/waddle). Physio said it'll probably sort itself out in time but i've googled it and nowhere does it say that it goes, just that you'll have to wear insoles. Can anyone reassure me that, if they had a longer leg, it did settle and the legs went back to same length? My second THR has certainly not been plain sailing like the first! I'm still in pain and difficult to sit for long as so sore on my buttock. I changed surgeons as I was offered a cancellation, wish I'd waited for my surgeon now, eventhough it could've been months more
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom