THR Kay9s Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kay9
You are indeed wonderfully positive. I have laughed so hard at your mom's conversation with you! Save this thread~ you have a book in the making!
I have said a prayer for your grandson and hope he is well in no time. What a gift!
Yes! You need to rest so as not to take any steps in the wrong direction! Take care of yourself so that you are well for your family. I think the leaning over might be your body telling you to get off your feet. :)
 
Guffaw lass you are so lucky to have the attitude you have but also so much about to make you chortle. Its still a fairly short time you know and bent posture is just bodies natural protective posture. Its been banged about and your body says OK curl up time to heal. Also using walking aids by nature has tendency to have a bend. Keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Helpless laughter!!! That sounds so much like my house!
You do sound awfully busy for 10 days out. I think your various niggles are telling you to slow down. Have your sister pick up chinese or pizza for the birthday, so you can sit on sofa with legs up and hip iced for the birthday party. After which she can take your mum home, with many thanks and a big bunch of flowers! Great grandmothers deserve time off :lol:
My op leg felt longer for a couple of weeks, but it was just the sensation of swelling, and it faded with TIME, ICE, and REST!! (Hint hint) I wore ice 24/7 for the first two weeks, as everything felt way worse without it.
Last but not at all least, prayers for your grandson!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
I do hope your grandson recovers quickly, it must be such a worry, but at least he is in the right place and getting treatment. Please let us know how he progresses.
I laughed so much at your conversation with your mum, I remember having similar types of chats with my dad. Sometimes I just had to dispair.
I did same as you and a couple of times found myself with legs crossed, I told the PT and got a telling off. Now I am allowed to cross legs I find I can't do it, how strange is that.

Definately time for you to have a day of rest I think.
 
Please Josephine can you explain how lifting the un operated leg caused the operated leg to dislocate?
Sorry I took so long to reply - been having a little break! Well this is a very interesting question. When we get fixated on our replaced parts, we tend to forget that our legs aren't two legs but two parts of our whole body. So when we do something like a movement in the unoperated leg, it will almost inevitably have an effect on the other leg. Here is an example

[Bonesmart.org] Kay9s Recovery


If you look closely, you can see that the upper leg is very internally rotated whilst the bottom one looks straight. But it's not - that too is also moderately internally rotated as you will see if you look at the foot which is almost top down. The upper leg is also adducted which adds to the dislocation risk.

So the thing to do here is pay attention to the angle of your knees and your feet. Both must face forwards for a period of time, to prevent to accidental risk of internal rotation and adduction. It's both of these together that are the risk.

And in activities such as you described, it's very likely that as you took that step, you unconsciously both internally rotated and adducted your operative leg. It's easily done so don't beat yourself up about it. Many have done this before.
 
Hello my Hip Friends:)

My Grandson is doing well, still in special care but feeding well and holding his own. He is stunningly beautiful!:yes: He finally has a name today, he is now called Milo. Lots of very dark hair and the biggest eyes Ive ever seen! Just gorgeous!

Today Ive spent the day at the hospital then went for a meal, Im totally pooped now:yawn:. Ive admitted to myself and my family that Im doing way too much and that I need to slow it right down. When I told one of the nurses that Id had a hip replacement 13 days ago, she was amazed. And a little concerned. Its made me realise its not clever to try and cram so much into my days. I know Ive said it before but I mean it this time...Im pulling right back and resting, starting from this evening. Ive told my Daughter I wont be visiting tomorrow, and Ive cancelled friends coming tomorrow evening. My Mum has gone home today so Im on my own with my Other Daughter, and to be honest Im looking forward to being alone more. The next few days will be spent doing what I should have been doing up until now..resting, sleeping and generally just pottering about. I find that hard, like @Legin said Im a "doer", but Im starting to feel seriously drained.
Pain-wise, Im pretty good:thumb: i get some groin pain and a bit of muscle ache but nothing too bad. Im taking Tramadol andParacetomol every 6 hours, but I stagger it so take Tramadol then 3 hours laterParacetamol, 3 hours later Tramadol etc etc. seems to work for me, Im never in bad pain, just some discomfort. I slept a short while on my operated side last night but it felt weird so I didnt stay like it for long, but I long to sleep on my side so will try again tonight.
I actually feel well enough to drive but Im not going to. I will chat to my Surgeon when I see him for my 6 week check up, I have 3 months of restrictions but I dont know if that includes driving? I havnt attempted to sit in my car yet, its a Suzuki Jimny Jeep so is very cramped inside, not much legroom at all, so will see what he says.

All in all Im a happy hippy:thumb:. Im not sorry I had it done, even though its not been an easy ride so far, but I think Im probably having an easier time of it than some.

I was a bit disappointed this morning because a friend I hadnt seen for a while contacted me and asked if I would take her horse on full loan for a year. i would have LOVED to do that, I used to exercise him for her a few years ago as Id sold my horse, he is a stunning Arab but is very flighty and prone to tantrums:tantrum2: and I know I wont be well enough to give him the time and exercise he needs. Im very sad I cant do it:sad: She was almost pleading with me and I had to be really firm, she got quite upset because she doesn't know anyone else that can handle him and doesn't want to loan him out to someone she doesnt know, shes now 5 months pregnant and wont be riding for some time. Sad though I am , its not my problem and Im trying not too feel too down ( or guilty) that I cant take him on.

im off to make a cup of tea, have some banoffee pie and then shower and early night for me. I could sleep forever! I was about to say that I think I will book in for a pedicure and manicure tomorrow, but Ive remembered Im supposed to be doing NOTHING tomorrow except rest..:heehee:. Maybe another day.
 
@Josephine we were cross-posting then. Thankyou for this, its made it very clear to me what happened. For the first day I was scared to move ANY leg, but Im not so fixated on it now. Im being careful, making sure I sit when getting dressed, and generally being less cavalier about it while finding the balance of not being too obsessed either. Thanks josephine, hope you had a lovely rest:flwrysmile:
 
Sad though I am , its not my problem and Im trying not too feel too down ( or guilty) that I cant take him on.
Hello @Kay9
Your above statement sounded so refreshing. Hopefully we can all learn from it!!
 
@Kay9 I agree with copsham-- and it sounds like you are going to find a healthy balance of activity and rest!
So glad little Milo is doing well :) :)
Have a good quiet few weeks with your daughter, enjoy getting back to normal!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
First things first....my Grandson is the BUSINESS!:snork: I havnt seen him today but have been sent videos and photos, he is seriously beautiful and getting stronger every day.

Now onto me...and Im confused to be honest:what:. Today is the first day Ive done nothing, zero, ziltch. ( well apart from change my bedding & pop a few microwave meals in). Ive stayed in all day for the first time in a week, all Ive done is watch the entire set of The Godfather films and a bit of reading. A real lazy day. Yet tonight, Im in more pain than Ive been in all week, my hip area and behind my knee feels swollen, and Im walking like I was in the first few days:sad:. Whats that all about? Its 2 weeks today since my op, and Ive gone back a week!

Is this because Ive done literally nothing all day? Or is it because yesterday I did a lot?

I was planning another day of taking it easy tomorrow, Im not going to the hospital until Wednesday, but Im worried now incase no activity at all today has set me back, and Ive seized up or something:flabber:
 
All very normal, really!!! I would guess it's paybacks for yesterday, and the normal progression of two steps forward, one step back. That can carry on for a few more weeks. You are only two weeks out!! If Jo hears you changed your bedding she will have a cow! ;)
So, resticeelevate tomorrow, and a walk around the house from time to time.
Enough of that-- on to the good stuff-- little Milo!!! You are besotten, and will spoil him grandly, as it should be!!! :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Aye lass we can do all sorts when fixated and a wee bit of adrenaline and the body/brain ignores pain then when we say OK done the pains come shooting thru, I have been there many times thru my life. Once carried 60 cases of champagne upn69 steps with a torn muscle in back.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Kay9
One of the hardest things to tolerate for me was the going forward, then loosing it, the rollercoaster. it feels you are teased with how life could be then whoosh a step backwards. But as @zauberflöte said it is very normal.

Once carried 60 cases of champagne upn69 steps with a torn muscle in back.
Legin THR Sep 14
@Legin I cannot compete with that and I hope you are not giving @Kay9 any ideas! Red high heels YES Red Hair YES doting on Milo YES but 60 bottles of champagne NO!! Lets send a virtual bottle of champagne to @Kay9 to celebrate life ups and downs x
[Bonesmart.org] Kay9s Recovery
 
@copsham @Legin @zauberflöte thankyou for the virtual champagne, it went down a treat:thumb: i may have a virtual glass or two every evening now, I didnt even have a virtual hangover!:yes!:

What I do have though is a big lump kind of next to next to my incision, towards my buttock?:skep: Its tender but not really painful. No heat or redness so Im thinking a muscle knot or something? I have a smaller one behind my knee too which is restricting me bending the knee. Im not particularly worried about either and feel a lot better today than I felt yesterday. Im going to the doctors to have my dressing removed on Thursday, quite excited about seeing my scar:yes:. I might even post a piccy.

Im feeling a great sense of achievement today because I hung some washing out all by myself. Who would've thought such simple things that we normally take for granted would make us feel so good while recovering from this op. I simply dragged the basket with one stick while using the other, then picked the clothes up with the grabber. i was getting on great, All fine till the peg basket broke and all the pegs fell on the floor. So I had to pick them up one by one with the grabber. Then I dropped my stick, the other stick was already on the floor by the basket, and the grabber wasn't strong enough to pick the stick up, so I did the golfers bend, lost my balance and fell forward somehow and put my hand on the edge of the basket, which in turn flipped up and hit me in the nose :censored::censored::censored::snork: . I swore. But felt so good when it was all done!

My family have taken my car keys! They said they could see I was on the verge of driving ( I probably was, if Im truthful) and said they wont give them back until I get the all clear to drive.:nah:. I dont like being treated like a child but I can see their point.

Im going to see Milo tomorrow.:dancy:. Did I tell you all how gorgeous he is? I did? Well Im saying it again....he is the Best!!:flwrysmile:

Im being kicked off the ipad again:sad:, I never seem able to get on here anymore, I think I need to buy my own laptop or tablet or something. But Paradise Island cant wait according to my Daughter, she has treasures to fimd or something:unsure:.
 
@Kay9 you tell stories So Well!!! I laughed out loud at your laundry misadventure, while verrrry glad no harm came to you! Possibly a tad bit too much champagne?......
Post piccy of Milo!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Chortle was waiting for oooo Betty the cat has done a whoopsie in my berret. Just take care I'm the ooopsie man here.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh @Kay9 I would love to see a video of your hanging washing out antics, it would go viral!! but in the absence of that a Milo photo would be good. You are amazing only 15 days out. Look after yourself!
 
@Kay9 I think we can all relate to the comedy of trying to do a simple chore! We either laugh or cry and laughing is so much better! I had to read your washing story out loud to my hubby! You are a brilliant writer!
I had a mishap trying a new pooper scooper to pick up after my dog. I didn't know the darn thing swiveled and I missed the bag~ yuck! All the juggling of canes and sticks and grabbers and pegs and pooper scoopers too! :dogsniff:
 
@Sullivand sorry have to chuckle at the poop scooping incident. Been there recently with a nice new bag with a great big hole. Oh well......happy belated btw.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom