THR Kay9s Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kay9 I'm as sorry as can be that you dislocated your hip. From everything I've read about hip dislocations it must hurt unbelievably. I believe dislocatio. Is probably every "Hippies" nightmare -- I know it is mind. Does the Hospital have a Physical Therapist on staff? If they do maybe that person could come and talk to you and show you some "tricks" that would be helpful with your movement going forward. Every time I talk to the PT folks I learn something new and most of it has been helpful to me. Just a thought....

But you do have a truly good piece of news about the infection. Congratulations!

Take care of yourself and keep us posted on your condition. Wishing you all the best.
 
Oh @Kay9 When it rains it pours. I am so sorry your other hip decided to act up! I must admit though that I laughed imagining you in the wrong bed! You poor dear! Try sitting down when you get dressed and use one of those dressing sticks and that might help you to take care when dressing. Hang in there! Glad to hear you have your humor!
 
@Kay9 Mercy! You've certainly had a time of it! I'm so sorry to hear of your dislocation!
:groan:
Please try to stay positive--and try not to steal any more beds!
 
Oh my word @Kay9 !! What a day! I am so very glad the infection was caught in time, and that you have no staples etc to worry about. But dislocation, horrible! Again, very glad they were able to "pop" it back in. I think asking PT or OT to show you the tricks of the trade is a good idea!
And I too was laughing at your wrong bed story. I'm glad you did too!
So I will tell you mine! I had a cavity filled today, and this dentist adheres to the latest in pain management, which seems to mean, let's numb the gum, face, tongue, and throat while we're at it! So I was sufficiently paralyzed. All done, sell my child into slavery to pay, massage face/lip/ teeth all the way home. Still paralyzed. Drink water-- all down my front. Give up. Three hours later I went to swish my mouth out, having gained some control back. Or so I thought... Big mouthful of water, sw-- spray!! All over me, the sink, the mirror, the side wall, I laughed so hard I like to fell down! Hope you get a giggle :)
When do they see you going home? Or would you rather stay and get some rest?


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Thankyou so much Hippies!:flwrysmile: This is a quick "hit and run" post so I cant thankyou all or reply individually for the moment, Im doing good, pain very well controlled, my only problem is psychological:spin: im scared to death of dislocating again, especially because I was using the good leg when it happened and I dont understand how hyper-flexing did that? So Im equally scared of using BOTH legs now!
Please @Josephine can you explain how lifting the un operated leg caused the operated leg to dislocate? Im so wary of much movement now, im moving like Robo-Cop:flabber:
 
Chortle at bed mixup, that is a Leginism. Good on infection sorry about hip hiccup, were you using your grabber thingy as it stops over bending when putting trews on. Take care

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My goodness, @Kay9 you have been through a lot - and you've mastered it all - respect. And then there are all the responsibilities with your family. Surely you are really really strong. And keep up the good sense of humour. Best wishes - thinking of you.
 
One possible silver lining is that at least you were in [the] hospital when the dislocation happened. Maybe that meant help came faster???
 
Terrible! There was another member (can't remember her name) that I think was doing the exact same thing. That's how I normally get dressed. Very bit unnerving when you are trying to trust your new hip.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
@Kay9 you should have seen me last night messing around trying different legs-in-legholes maneuvers! First off, you are doing fantastic if you can stand on op leg to get dressed!!! Then, maybe you somehow got yourself into a position with the op leg "cocked" like I used to stand when I was trying to be a cool teenager. So there would not be enough stability yet to support that? This is all purely conjecture! I only thought of it because I felt the need to try it last week, but then I decided that might be stoopid!
Glad pain is well managed, and you sound in good spirits :)
I agree, use the grabber for dressing for a few weeks. But walking around wouldn't be bad, right? And rest, nap, rest!!!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Oh @Kay9
I laughed aloud at the wrong bed but then tears welled in my eyes. I feel sorry for you and sorry for me (I broke a bone in my foot about the time you dislocated).

Do you have hypermobile joints? That is, in your normal life, could you touch the floor easily, extend you fingers way down beyond the wrist or similar. This contributed to my foot going in to a terrible position when I fell on it, hence the break!!
I wonder could hyper mobility contribute to your dislocation when you were moving the other hip? Just one of my crazy thoughts in trying to make sense of it.

Wish you well and stop bed hopping! You don't know who you might find!
x
 
Holy cow K9. You have indeed been though he wringer! Sending heaps of healing and love to you!!!! Go easy. Move with intent. And be careful darlin'! I'm rooting for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all, thankyou thankyou thankyou, what a great place this is for support and the feeling that many arms are hugging me. I would have felt so alone otherwise.

Im doing well , I think. Ive had a very good day today, feel very positive.:yes: I have zero nausea, very little pain (about a 2 ) and dont feel quite so freaked out about dislocating....although I am being much more careful.

@zauberflöte , I can easily stand on the operated leg, but only for a very short time. ( I can actually walk fully without sticks, but dont feel ready to do that ) had just got out of the shower and I think it was maybe a combination of not drying properly, leaning awkwardly against the sink to lift my leg into my trousers and maybe a bit of a twist? The Nurse said I hyper-flexed but to be honest Im not sure I did. Whatever it was, Im mindful to now SIT when getting dressed, and go s.l.o.w.l.y. :)

@copsham oh Im so sorry youve broken your foot!!:sad:. How are you coping? Was it on your operated leg? I feel for you:console2:

Ive never been diagnosed with hyper-mobility syndrome as such but ive always been what we called " double-jointed"? I was a dancer for a long time, in my (much) younger days and have always easily been able to do the splits and get into odd positions, and yep, I can do "weird" things with my arms and hands:yes:. Not that ive been able to do the splits for the last few years !

I feel ive turned a corner :fingersx:. Im looking at all these set-backs as just a blip. The dislocation had the potential to psychologically floor me but the more I think back to how cavalier I was being about moving , the more I realise it was likely just my own stupid fault and that I just need to be more aware of what Im doing and that it doesnt mean its going to happen again. I was scared to death to hardly move for a day after but Im not going to let it get me that way. i will just be careful but not obsessed.

My sister collected me this evening and we even called into a Bistro, armed with the cushions from her car so I could sit at the table:thumb:. It felt so good to do something normal. It did wipe me out though and I got back and slept for 4 hours. Tomorrow we may go out again to a cafe in the shopping centre, its close by the carpark so not a lot of walking, but I will see how I feel tomorrow, if Im still this tired I wont go.

Thankyou again for all your support. You are all:angel:.
 
@Kay9
So glad to hear that you are better~and recovering ~your sister sounds like a very special one in your life. You have gone through so much with strength of spirit and wit~ I pray the remainder of your recovery is uneventful! Although I love being able to laugh with you~ thank you for sharing! Glad you got to a Bistro~ the normal things help me too.
 
@Kay9 I'm so sorry to hear about your hip dislocation, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that nothing else goes wrong.
I laughed so much at you getting in the wrong bed, I just had to read it out to my hubby.
Hoping all goes well for you now.
 
It seems like any sort of twist motion whilst weight-bearing on the op leg is risky business. I found myself in an awkward position yesterday when reaching into the shower to move the bath mat. I actually said out loud "To much twist. “

So glad you feel you've 'turned the corner '! Now--let's get that boring recovery started!
 
One more thing--I'm so impressed with your ability to take all these events (all of which seemed like worst-case scenarios) in stride !

“Dislo?--OK, I'm off to the bistro! “

Imagining you stepping over everything like minor bumps in the road in your dangerously high red heels!!!!
:thumb:
 
Haha @agileHippie , I so wish I could be in my heels!:snork: im a shoe fanatic, hence my avatar. i have many many many pairs, almost all heels, and I love them even though Ive not been able to wear them for some months. One day soon:thumb:

Im glad my bed-swop episode made you all smile, I had the giggles for some time after:heehee:

Im doing so well I think! I can walk with no sticks ( I dont though, it still feels a bit odd) and can walk very normally with one stick. I do use 2 when Im out though. We went to the Mall today, I didnt walk far but far enough that I knew when it was time to rest. Had lunch, looked in a few shops then suddenly came over so tired we had to call it a day. Am about to have a little sleep then Im going to dye my hair. I feel very good:)
 
@Kay9 Omg I need some hair dye too!!! I did it before the GreatHipAdventure......and now holy moly I'm overdue. Some sweet young thing says to me yesterday....your hair looks nice, did you get highlights? Um no but thank you....its just my natural grey surfacing. Yikes so funny. We need to keep the humor!
 
@Kay9 wonderful to hear you sounding so alive! The contrast between these posts and your pre op thread is dramatic!
You are now at that stage of feeling so good you want to do it all. Um....don't get carried away like so many of us do ;) An active day, then a rest day, then a middling day, then rest day. Etc!
Getting out does make you feel more normal, doesn't it!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom