THR Kay9s Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw @Legin :console2: No offence taken, not at all!! You are completely right! I know getting a Rescue dog takes time and commitment, Ive always had Rescues and have worked in a Dog Rescue Centre, its nice to hear somebody who realises the commitment it takes. Im just getting a little ahead of myself :), its nice to "plan" something exciting...I wont be getting another dog for quite some months yet. Quite probably not until after Christmas at least. Its just a dream at the moment. This is the first time Ive been without a dog in my life for many many years and I miss the country walks:sad:, the loyalty of a best friend, the mad greeting when I come home:doggie::puppysmooze:. I lost my Staffy and my Ridgeback in the last few months, I literally ache for a dog in my life. But Im not daft, I know I have to be sensible ( unusual for me lol) as it impacts on the dogs life too, and my dogs have always come first with me.

Never be afraid to speak honestly to me, I dont take offence easily, if at all. Im pretty easy going:flwrysmile:

Im about to shower And prepare for my walk to the pub:cheers:. I think I feel up to it. A lift back is always an option if Im tired. Also, my swelling seems to have gone done a lot overnight, so its all good:thumb:
 
@Kay9 you sound great! Very sensible about the dog. We just went thru our first 4th of July with our new rescue. It was bad. We lost our first boy just a few weeks before my hip and like @Legin I took off time to be with our new girl when we got her. I hoped to do it after my hip but it didn't happen that way. Best to you with your recovery and eventual new love. Xo
 
@Kay9 just been doing a bit of a catch up on your recovery. The problems with the washing really made me laugh, although I know how easy it can happen, I tried to hang out washing whilst using a crutch, I had washing on the floor, and the crutch kept escaping. I gave up in the end and called hubby to do it.

Milo is just yummy, the dark hair and eyes are just beautiful. He is going to be a very handsome young man. You must do like I do for my two grandsons, spoil them rotten and just give in to their every whim.

So pleased to see you are feeling so much better, I think back to your pre op posts and the panic you were in, its lovely to hear a much different Kay9. Enjoy your Sunday.
 
Sounding good Kay! Who was on your couch when you got up this morning? :teehee:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@Kay9
Been reading your thread....especially about missing your doggie friends....I've waiting 6 years for a new doggie as pre THR I had too much pain & no mobility and I'm now 22 months post op & am ready now with my 'forgotten hip'. Picking up my new sheltie pup next Sunday (I'm with you on the rescue dogs...had two previously but my hubby was desperate for a pup)...... Won't be too long & you will be ready for your new friend xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@donor I think I know what you mean about it being bad for your dog on 4th July...fireworks?? My George wasnt bothered at all, but my lovely little Staffy girl was petrified of them, it broke my heart to see her, she would cling on to me shaking. For around 4 weeks over that period there would be fireworks every night. I would have the TV on loud to drown it out, give her Rescue Remedy, I learned how to do Tellington Touch (Ttouch) a kind of massage that calms all animals, had a Ttouch calming band on her and a Ttouch body wrap, Eventually I could get her into less of a panicked state, but not totally calm. Thats the one time Im glad shes no longer here, on Firework night.:sad:

Thanks @Liznwiz , I do feel pretty good on the whole, a lot different to the beginning of my BoneSmart journey, thats for sure. Yummy is a good word for Milo:yes:

Pub was good thanks @Legin :thumb: Because Im stuck here unable to drive and there are no shops here ( nearest shop around 6 miles I guess) theres nowhere to walk except the one pub in the village. So Im FORCED to go there:wink::snork:

@zauberflöte only my friend that travelled up to see me was left on my sofa when I got up this morning:) The other sneaked off in the night. Havnt seen or heard from him since but I assume he got home safely, its only across the road:yes:

Well...as Ive said, on the whole Im pretty good. BUT, for some reason Ive had a bit of a teary moment tonight. i think its all the talk of dogs, tonight Im missing my George SO much. Maybe what with him passing not long before my op, then having the op, then Milo coming, It all took my mind off losing him so suddenly ( literally within a few hours...running around full of life, then gone!) and now Im walking better, Im finding myself at a bit of a loss without him, wanting to walk him or just be with him while Im stuck here unable to really leave the village unless Im driven by someone else. I know Im going to be ok but tonight Im feeling sad.

Ive been in a little pain tonight too, then realised why! id missed 3 doses of pain tablets! :doh: I guess its a good sign in one way, because I didnt need to take them and its only in the last 15 minutes I realised I hadn't taken anything for over 9 hours before it started to hurt, but now Im going to be playing catch-up a little. Im icing now too, so hopefully it'll start easing off soon. Even then its not real bad, just a bit uncomfortable and the odd stab of pain. Also, I walked both to the pub and home again today, so Ive done extra with no pain relief...definitely improving:thumb:.

And another bizarre thing...after eating a whole box of Ferraro Roche I had a pang of guilt and got a bit concerned that Ive been eating junk food a lot, obviously not exercising, so would be piling on weight. So I weighed myself, peeking with one eye because I was afraid what I would see....and Ive LOST 5 pounds!:thud: How is that possible? Im not complaining though:yes!:. If a more sedentary lifestyle and chocolate makes me lose weight, bring it on!:)
 
@Hoppy Nanny we were cross posting then. How spooky, Im here posting how sad I am and missing my dog, and you are posting about your new pup, and giving me hope that I will have a new friend too one day. Is that fate? Thankyou so much! Congrats on your new sheltie pup, :yay:, I hope you are going to post some pics! Thats a lovely story and You told it at just the right time for me. Thankyou:flwrysmile:

Edited to add, is that your new pup in your avatar?:roseshwr: Too cute!
 
It is Ruby in my avatar @Kay9
8 weeks old and so pretty! I could tell from your posts that you are so missing your furry friends.....but your time will come soon and I so know how you feel. When you are further on in your recovery you will feel so much more ready to cope.....you need all the time for yourself at the moment.

By the way, that diet sounds fab....wish it would work for me & the fact that the only place to walk to is the pub is the perfect excuse!

Do keep up with the meds...playing catch up with pain is no fun at all!! Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kay9 also the teariness is a normal part of recovery-- there's an article in the library about it called Post Op Blues, I think.
I am definitely trying your diet, but I would have to walk 10 miles or more to get to a bar I felt safe in :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
I call them misty moments and yup its normal. Your body has had what is akin to a major accident. The therapy I'm doing right now has shown me so much that the brain has perception of all we do from learned behaviour, so a sudden shock of a multitud e of new behaviours, is bound to affect us. Also the cabin fever effect. One time the wiffff took me up for a hospital app and she threatened to throw me out the car as I was being silly at being freeeeee. That will be fine lass and if a moan is needed moan away, just had vision of Derek Jacobi in TV show Frasier, ooooooooooooo woooooooooooe is mere.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Bored. Bored bored bored.:gaah:

Still feeling a bit sad but snapping out of it. Im sure I wouldn't be quite so sad if I was less bored.

I know Im lucky to live in the middle of beautiful countryside in a tiny village but...god, theres NOTHING to do here when you can only walk limited lengths and cant drive! Having a car here is essential. I know I joke about the village pub being the only place to walk to here, but its true! And the only place to eat, or see people. Im out of food ( internet food shopping isnt an option, no one delivers here) so will be eating there again this evening with my youngest Daughter, but I LONG to leave the village! Ive gone from the rushing about everywhere in the first 2 weeks of surgery, to just.....being here. Ive walked to say hello to the sheep, the cows, the horses and the chickens. They don't say much.:nah:

The highlight of my day so far has been rescuing a frog that wandered a little too far from the village pond and putting him back.. How on earth am I going to top that tomorrow? Everything else will pale by comparison.:flabber:

I havnt seem my other Daughter or Milo. They live in the next village but until her partner goes back to work next week, I guess they just want to be getting used to being a little family of 3, which I do understand.

I want my car back:hairpulling:. I cant believe my Family kidnapped my car!:headbang: What did they think I was going to do, :censored: Drive it??!
How long till I can drive by the way?

Oooh, Ive just seen a Bee. That distracted me for a good .5 of a second. Best lay down after that:bored:
 
@Kay9 thanks for the good laugh this am. Flora and fauna cannot appreciate us and try as we might don't make for good conversation. When will doc allow u to drive? ? Mine said sit in car....practice moving op.leg from gas to break and do not be on big drugs. Took me 5 weeks to drive me own car. I didn't feel comfy in case I needed to stop quick before that and believe me I tried. Best of luck today. I know tv becomes dull dull. The stuff they have on....wow. :)
 
I take it your no tennis fan.
Are there any buses that go thru the village? We don't have many buses but I do use them although not great for me. No internet groceries sheesh we get them from about twenty miles away tho I haven't used it yet.
You should have a check up with consultant at six week stage. Ask himif and when you can drive, one because he can see your development and when he says yes you can pull the consultant card on the family.
Shame frog wasn't a toad you could have had a wee ad ventured that or yucky lips.
Are you thinking of a holiday spent time planning if so.
There is one thing in favour of being bored it means pain can't be too bad.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm sorry to say this, but I took my first drive at 6 and a half weeks, and it was very short and quite painful. I had my right hip done, so every time I moved from accelerator to clutch there was a small pain. A week later I took a longer drive, about 40 minutes driving, and by the end I was having to literally lift my leg off the accelerator and onto the brake. Not exactly safe, and I'm sure if I had an accident I wouldn't have been insured. Last week I drove the same 40 minutes and no pain at all, so I now consider myself safe to drive. So I'm guessing its going to be a few more weeks for you.
I'm a bit concerned, if you have run out of food, how you are going to survive. Do you have somebody who can do a shop for you, or at least run you into the nearest town. Be warned though, I was so pleased I could go to Tesco and do my shopping, but then discovered how difficult it was to turn corners with the trolley. Going in straight lines was fine, but what you don't realise is that when you try and turn the corner you actually twist your hip, that was not a good feeling at all.
If its not too expensive maybe you could get a taxi into town and have a little shop, then get a taxi home. Just warn them when you ring that you will need to sit in the front with the seat set well back.

So having given you the bad news and probably made you more depressed, lets think of the positives. It sounds like you live in a wonderful place, I sort of live in the country, but on a main road, so no cows, sheep or chickens round here. We do get the odd idiot who likes to ride a horse down the main road, causing chaos with the traffic though. I once lived further out in the country and was 8 months pregnant, hubby was in the bath, I looked up and there in my back garden was a sheep eating our cabbages. I don't think I have ever screamed so loud in my life, just imagine, me screaming, hubby running into me dripping wet and naked!!:yikes: Fortunately I knew the farmer so just called him and he came by to collect the sheep. Its amazing how big they are close up.

Do you have any hobbies? I love needle crafts, and was so upset that I couldn't do my bobbin lace for 6 weeks with the 90 degree restrictions, but I did some cross stitch and needle lace, that kept me busy for a while. I also had my kindle so could do plenty of reading.

Hope you find something to keep you amused, maybe your daughter will let you help collect her treasure on whatever game it is she is playing.

Take care xx
 
No buses here @Legin and I do like Tennis but am bored senseless with TV at the moment. I can go all day without seeing a single person here, no-one just walks around the village in the day, although I might see the odd walker ( The Cotswold Way runs through the village) and on the evening people walking their dogs.

Im just not used to being so inactive I guess. No pain today:thumb:

Thanks @Liznwiz and @donor . No worries about me having no food, Im not going to starve, my Daughters a big girl and likes her food and wont let that happen, lol. There are people who will shop for me so no problem there.
I feel ok now, I just had itchy feet and wanted my car back! I think I would be fine driving. Its an automatic and I had my left leg done, so should be easy enough. The thing I really want to do is practice getting in and out of the car? Its a Suzuki Jimny Jeep so limited leg room and not very comfortable upright seats. If my Family would TRUST me enough to bring my car back and not treat me like a child, :umm:, I could practice! But apparently they are holding the car hostage until I see my OS...not been sent a date yet so no idea when that will be.

To be fair, I know they mean well and are only doing this because I can be a bit impulsive but, jeez....Im not an unruly teenager! Maybe my Mums having flashbacks to what I was like and has forgotten Im now a middle-aged woman:yes:

Anyway...pub opens in 2 hours. :yes!: A nice Steak is in order I think.
 
The wifff says intact like a numpty teenager at times. Just shrug you can't beat the truth. Have a chat with family I do see your perspective, see theirs as well tho, its called love. Tell them you have your grown up head on, well ish

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Kay9
One of the crazy gifts that this looooong recovery has given us is time ~ slooow lazy time. I have done a lot of inner thinking~Something my busy busy former life didn't allow~ praying, reading, writing old fashioned letters to distant families and friends and taking time to tell everyone how much they mean to me.
I plan a laundry project~ wash, ironing and try to think of it as productive not boring! Yours was comical as I remember! It's tedious I know.
I drove at 6 weeks and it was good!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom