Guest viewing is limited

TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear you have been having problems with your teeth and knee, Kaye. I do hope you are in less pain now.

I will certainly let you know if I do something with those daily notes. Am still keeping them up, jotting down my emotions and everything. Have always fancied writing a book :heehee:

Kathy
xx
 
Hi Kathy,

Glad to hear your staples removal wasn't too bad. I was wondering how it went! Good to get home with some ice and settle down after a big day. By tomorrow you will be feeling better!

So glad you are keeping up your journaling. I think it's helpful to look back and reflect on the early days of such a monumental procedure. I wish I had done that myself.

Keep up eye good work and will look forward to hearing more from you!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Welcome to the other side, Kathy! Happy anniversary!

I hear you about hair! I have always been on edge about damp or stormy weather, as my hair also frizzes up and gets irregularly corkscrew-curly at the mention of "water." (I've had three "Brazilian Blowout" keratin treatments to keep the frizzies at bay, especially from sweat during sleep should I fail to clip my hair up. Time to get another before the European river cruise, which is--ulp!--NEXT WEEK!). One of the first things I bought for the cruise was a dual-voltage flat-iron. When I was in-hospital, I entered with my hair freshly washed and smoothed; by the end of the first post-op day I looked like Medusa. Anyone lamenting her straight hair, I'd love to be a "curl donor." To my delight, the rehab center had a barbershop/salon just off the lobby. It was mostly for very elderly residents who got their hair cut short and roller-set, but the stylist was delighted to have someone with long blonde hair to blow-dry and flat-iron.

If showers are too taxing, there are instant-bath towelettes--I got a couple of packets when I was in the hospital. (Magellan.com sells them for travelers going off the beaten track who don't contemplate finding a nice clean bathroom or strong showerhead). A touring musician friend turned me on to Bioré brand deep-pore cleansing wipes--they are refreshing on hot sticky days and she uses them on long drives if she can't shower before a gig. CVS has its house brand, as do other pharmacy chains. Look for "deep-pore cleansing" or "exfoliating." Pond's makes a woven mesh dry disposable face cloth impregnated with soap that lathers when wet and can be rinsed in order to remove the suds from your skin. Its advantage is that it stays dry till you wet it.

I can't imagine having had to ride to physical therapy so soon after surgery. I had structured PT beginning on Day 4, my first day at rehab; and 4 weeks of every-other-day in-home visits by a physiotherapist once I was discharged. If I had been discharged directly from hospital to home, I seriously doubt whether I'd have done anything but ice and rest between trips to the loo. And when it came time to take outpatient PT, I chose a clinic that provides transportation. No way I'd drive there with 5 mg. of Norco in me--and no way I'd do the kind of therapy I'm doing on nothing stronger than the Bonesmart cocktail (which is what I take except for naproxen at bedtime and that single Norco just before therapy). Sounds like they started you out on what we in the States call "Tylenol #3," which contains codeine (an opiate rather than a synthetic opioid like hydrocodone or oxycodone). Tramadol (Ultram is the brand-name version here) works better than an opiate for many people and tends to be less binding. And instead of a Cryo-Cuff, my OS prescribed a Breg Polar-Care, which has a motor and need not be elevated. Downside is that the motor takes up space in the container, so that one needs to fill the chamber with crushed or small-cube ice and then top it up with water--no room for refreezable bottles of ice (and sometimes my freezer can't keep up with the demand for ice). Problem with frozen peas or corn kernels is that someone invariably reaches into the freezer and cooks them; let them stay mushy too long and they get rank; and the bags wear out. I have refreezable gel-ice packs filled with little "peas" made out of gel-filled plastic. I also save gel-packs that the fishmonger includes with my order; and I have a cloth-covered gel pack that is sold for wrapping around a wine bottle in transit to chill it or keep it chilled. Advantage of that is no need for a cloth. (I've found a cloth napkin--aka serviette--or a pillowcase is the right thickness when a dish-towel is too thick for the ice to work effectively).

Husbands do have this charming habit of botching up grocery-shopping, don't they? Thank heaven for Peapod, the online service I use. Now that I can drive, I do make the occasional foray out to Trader Joe's or Whole Paycheck---er, Whole Foods for the more esoteric stuff that Peapod or the grocer around the block doesn't carry. And GrubHub.com was my best friend when I wanted to order out and the pizzeria and Chinese take-out menus in the desk drawer didn't suffice.

We celebrated our 41st anniversary when I was still in rehab; because I was still on two 10-mg. Norcos every 4 hrs and on Coumadin, we had to substitute seltzer for champagne. When I was finally allowed to stop Coumadin, we had champagne.(I do take a baby-aspirin daily for "heart maintenance"). As to your appetite returning, be careful what you wish for! On my way home from my (sometimes) office today I stopped at our local BBQ joint for a mixed family platter of ribs, brisket, pulled pork, meaty beans, slaw and custard cornbread for my DNC-watching party tonight....it's all I can do to avoid going back into the kitchen for that fourth rib... Good thing there's no ice cream in the fridge.

Hey, Bassplayer, I'm a bassist too! (In between my first and current incarnations as a guitar-slinging/dulcimer-strumming folkie, I played electric bass in two rock bands--and I still do in the studio and as well as occasionally with my temple's klezmer band).

Sandy in Chi-town
 
Many thanks, Dawn :thumb:

After feeling good having my staples out and dolling myself up a little, things went a little downhill. Come the end of the evening I felt a bit sick and headachy. My knee was also causing me pain, probably a three out of five. So when I went to bed and took the last of my pain meds for that day I took an extra Tramadol. When I finally got into bed I felt awful and I was freezing cold. I was so cold, that I was literally shivering from head to foot. Ray was still up and I needed a dressing gown on top of my nightshirt as well as the duvet. But I was just too cold to get out of bed. I slept okay eventually. However, come the next day (yesterday) I was out of it! Couldn't keep my eyes open for even five minutes :zzz: I wondered perhaps, was it the extra Tramadol I had taken the night before? Ray reckons I should have taken an extra Paracetamol and not a Tramadol. Feeling better today, thank heavens. Don't want another day like that!

Sandy, that's interesting that we have to bassists on here. I wonder if any other members play an instrument or sing? Perhaps we could form a Bonesmart Band :heehee:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is paranoid about her curly hair. I'm now showering in our smaller shower, which is less slippery than the one in the bathroom. The shower chair also fits in there, but I only use that when it comes to washing my hair.

Wow, that mixed family BBQ platter sounds absolutely amazing. You are so lucky to be able to buy things like that. We don't have anything like that here.

Many congratulations on your 41st wedding anniversary and have a GREAT European river cruise. What parts will you be going to? Look forward to hearing all about it on your return.

Kathy
xx
 
Hi, Kathy,
I noticed that when I was taking Norco on schedule instead of just before PT, I would get chilled rather easily-- even during those awful 100F-degrees-plus days we had here earlier this summer. Don't know if Tramadol shares that side effect with opioids. An extra paracetamol might not be as helpful in pain relief; there's the danger of exceeding the daily "kidney-safe" limit. I find that when I hurt beyond what my prescribed dose can handle, topical Voltaren or Arnica gel seems to help without making me groggy.

Not only don't we have many bassists on Bonesmart (Bassplayer is the only other one of whom I'm aware), most of us here are either Americans, from the UK, Canada or Down Under. Bassplayer is the only Israeli Bonesmartie I've encountered thus far. Been there only once, 20 years ago, and of all my travels it probably made the most lasting impression on me. My temple, our Catholic parish church, and our neighborhood Lutheran church had studied Scripture together and this trip was our graduation present to each other. As for other instrumentalists, it'd be a safe guess that nobody here plays "bones" as their percussion instrument of choice!

We are taking a Viking River Cruise on one of the new hybrid "longships," sailing the Danube, main and Rhine from Budapest to Bratislava, Vienna, Melk, Passau, Bamberg, Nuremburg, Regensburg, Cologne, Kinderdijk and finally Amsterdam. One week from now I will have landed in Budapest, having flown out of Heathrow (our port of entry from Chicago). Wish we'd had a bit more time in London, but the extra day in Budapest should be fun. We will be looking for things to do (that my knees can handle) not on the official cruise line tour Sunday.

A bit nervous about tonight: we have tickets to see Springsteen at Wrigley Field, not the most disabled-accessible venue in Chicago. Nary an escalator nor lift--just endless switchback ramps up to the 200 level, where our seats are. But there will be plenty of uphill walking on the cruise's shore excursions as well, so I guess it'll be a good rehearsal for me. Of course, it'll also storm all day, with showers continuing into evening--and no umbrellas allowed in the stadium. So it'll also be a good test of our ponchos. We actually have better seats for tomorrow night, but I have to be in Madison, WI (a 3-hr drive) by noon Sunday for a concert my singing partner and I are doing at a nursing home. So either I let my son give away my ticket tomorrow so I can drive up to Madison and stay over, or rise with the chickens Sunday morning to make the drive. Not a good plan considering how long The Boss' shows are and how long a wait for a cab we'll have afterward.
 
Hi Kathy, sorry you had such a challenging couple of days. Sometimes it just catches up with you all at once. I hate the feeling of being so cold. Thats no fun.

It happened to me right after my TKR last August. My hubby was at work, so my son was looking in on me. This was about a week after my surgery. My son was 20 at the time. He runs his own business and had to go to a job site. I had taken an extra dose of pain meds because i was in agony. I got so sick to my stomach and just couldn't get out of bed. My son called one of my girlfriends, who is the mother of one his good friends. Pretty soon, my friend and her son both came over, made me chicken noodle soup, brought crackers and ginger ale. I was a real mess, couldnt really eat much but the gesture alone made me feel a little better. I learned my lesson after that, and also got a script for anti Nausea meds to help, just in case it happened again.

Please take care, have a wonderful weekend!

Dawn
 
Frankly, I'm using this "opportunity" to go back to my 80's curly-perm style! I loved having long, curly hair and the no-maintenance aspect of it and dislike the blow drying and flat-ironing I've had to do for the straight look I currently wear. My mother is giving me a perm soon so I won't have to worry about it for months - wear it down an curly or up in a pony tail. Lots of muss, no fuss!
 
Me too! Except it's just my natural hair and looks pretty bad. I tell people I've let it go free!
 
Sandy, that's interesting that we have to bassists on here. I wonder if any other members play an instrument or sing? Perhaps we could form a Bonesmart Band :heehee:
Kathy,
Maybe we could all get together, with all or clinks and clunks in our knees, walk around the room, and play us a happy tune.
 
Kathy, I think it was the Tramadol. You took a second dose far too soon. I know how it feels to want that pain gone right now! I had lots of pain for the first 3 weeks or so. It took my percocet a good 35 minutes or so to kick in. Some nights I could hardly wait, especially when I was exhausted and wanted to lay down and get comfortable. Resist the urge to take a extra dose of anything resembling a narcotic.
:)
 
Diva, in Budapest, look for the brass shoes on the river wall behind, I think, a government building. Pest side I believe. Moving, somber memorial. Simple, but memorable. I remember seeing a river cruise ship in Budapest, it looked very interesting. I lived in Europe for nine years, so we travelled on our own. Have fun! I don't know how you'll manage the cities with your knee, but the view from the river is grand!
 
Kathy, I hope you are feeling much better!:console2: It sounds like you had a terrible time of it, thinking you'd take a med with the hopes of feeling better, yet it makes a U turn and it makes you feel worse!:hairpulling: Not fair!!!!:scratch: Hopefully it's all out of your system now and will allow you to return to your road of recovery!

Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
Sorry not posted anything lately I keep having trouble logging in and it was just too much effort to sort it out as felt so tired all the time
I too have trouble doing knee bends but have started doing them in the bath with my large rubber band and it is much easier to get the knee to bend .
One day I think I am doing really well and then next start worrying that I am not :boohoo:
Will feel so much better once have follow up appointment with OS and know everything is as it should be
Kathy sorry to hear that you have to miss cruise but you have a lovely wedding to look forward to

Worrryng about clicking when I am walking hope it's temporary :angel: :friends:
 
LindyLou, a lot of us have clicking in early recovery. As long as there is no pain with the clicking, it seems to be a non issue. It is the fake knee cap hitting the metal fake knee that makes the noise! When I first heard it I went berserk!! I can't stand it, I cried. But, it went away after a day or two. kelly
 
My spirits have been on the low side for the past few days. My knee is STILL swollen and so STILL unable to bend this darn knee. I've not been prescribed any anti-flamatories (spell?). At the moment I am taking Paracetamol and Tramadol. Could I say, swap the Paracetamol for Ibrobrufen do you think? Would this make a difference in the swelling? I just feel at 19 days, that I'm not getting anywhere.

The Physio at the hospital phoned today because I haven't been for physio yet. I explained that as I can't bend my knee yet I didn't see the point in doing a two hour round trip. She said it might be best to go along anyway to see if they could get the knee moving and that is so important. It's really starting to worry me now.
 
Kathy, isn't there a physical therapist closer to your home that you could go to. For me, I got to have my surgery locally so PT is right at the hospital. But when I was going through my pre admission work up, they asked me where I would be having my physical therapy as there are people from all over the state that come to my local hospital for surgery and they don't expect you to travel far for PT. Can't you find a place closer and more convenient so you can start? My knee is stiff too, but PT always loosens it up and I think you should be starting it now.
 
Totally understand your feeling. I had lots of swelling too. I will admit PT got my leg moving when it was stiff w/PT exercise and they massaged the muscles and treated me w/ice therapy and stem. I felt so much better.
I also started the ibuprofen otc drugs back after my blood thinners were complete. I felt it helped me but not nearly as much as getting the leg 'in the air' on pillows!
At 5 wks today for me, I get up and walk thru my PT home exercises and it helps move the fluid out of my leg. (then I need a rest) I hope you figure it out and feel better soon!
(it was very hard for me to 'relax and let it happen' as suggested by our bone smarties.. but it does work) :)
 
Kathy, I took tramadol, paracetamol and ibuprofen at one point. At your stage i was still taking aspirin though , and you cant aspirin and ibuprofen. You are really early in your recovery, keep icing, elevating and gentle stretching and you'll be great. Remember not everyone gets formal pt, just sent home with a list of gentle exercises. Easy to say, but I wouldn't worry about pt
 
I would try and ask for some PT to do yourself at home since you live so far from a facility. Don't worry about the lack of bend. Your knee is swollen, so of course it won't bend! Got to get the swelling under control before that poor knee can move. Keep elevating and ice, ice, ice.

I know the frustration sweetheart. This recovery could frustrate a Saint! It will get better Kathy. I know hearing that and not seeing the results you think you should be seeing can make you skeptical, but it's the truth. Things do get better with time.
 
Kathy I am so sorry to hear that your new knee is giving you a hard time, but try not to forget you're just a babe out of the woods at this time. If you do gentle exercises at home with lots of icing you'll see results soon, not as soon as we all would like, but we do get there.
When you're ready to go to PT you'll get there. At first I thought PT was going to be rough like all the other times I went, but I was entirely wrong. It was very gentle stretches and bends and a whole lot of massaging and electrodes to wake up the muscles to promote healing. To tell you the honest to god truth it felt good, and oh yes they iced before I left. Two hours is a long ride to get there though. If you can get a place closer, it would be less stress on yourself.

I hope you feel better soon my friend! :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom