Guest viewing is limited

TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
For months I have been looking at clutter piling up and just didn't have the energy to put things away. After 3 months following my 2nd TKR I suddenly have the strength to do it. :yes:

Now that you are up to putting things away, shouldn't you feign tiredness so that others will do it and you can go have fun?! :heehee:
 
Thanks for those cruise tips, Steve. Actually, even though we have paid the deposit it's looking like we may not be going now (haven't plucked up the courage to tell Ray yet), but Kelly (our eldest daughter) and her partner, Andrew, who were planning on getting married in 2014, came round yesterday and said that they would prefer to get married next year. The plan has always been to get married abroad, so that they can incorporate a holiday as well. We won't be able to afford to do both. Ray was really looking forward to the cruise, but hey ho, Kelly's wedding is more important and we can easily go on a cruise the year after.

Thanks everyone for your anniversary wishes.

Lizzie, many congratulations on your wedding anniversary for yesterday. What a coincidence :) And your brother and his wife too, Debbie. And Nancy, you're only one year behind us :)

Bassplayer, you're so right about clearing up the clutter, but I'm trying my hardest not to worry about it, by not looking around too much :whistle: Agree that rest is best :thumb:

Am still not getting a bend in this knee, but I keep trying every now and again. When I do try, I can 'feel' something on the inner side of my knee, which stops me going any further.

Good one, 1Elisea :thumb::heehee:

Kathy
xx
 
Am still not getting a bend in this knee, but I keep trying every now and again. When I do try, I can 'feel' something on the inner side of my knee, which stops me going any further.

A few gentle stretches here and there. It's enough! My 2nd TKR knee would hardly budge at first. The gentle approach worked - now it bends (I don't know the ROM number but it looks like about 100 or so) and quads are good and strong. Easy does it!
 
Hi Kathy!
I have been thinking about you. How are you feeling? Sorry about the cruise. Will they put your deposit for cruise at a later date?
Congratulations to Kelly and Andrew. You and your new knee will be dancing up a storm at the wedding.
:friends:
 
Ahh... Don't be sad. Girl you need some more meds, (sounds like) You are totally normal and I am guessing you are too hard on yourself. Relax and don't be in a rush, it will come. Sounds like you are strong, (lifting the leg from the first day), you will rebound soon enough. So happy to finally hear from you, I was getting worried.
Yes, get that ice all the way around that knee. Get those pillows up there too, or wedge, whatever you are using to elevate. A friend (that's a nurse) told me, "get that knee up there"... I felt ridiculous UNTIL the swelling began going down. I've had the hardest time 'sitting'. I'm not good being still. I have learned, it's a process, let the process work.
Take care and cry if you need. Don't worry about being taken care of, accept the help. :console2:
 
Kathy, glad to hear things are leveling out for you. Those first few days home from the hospital can be quite trying, but it seems like you have a good balance now. Just don't let the doctors try to push you off the pain medications too soon. You'll likely need them as you start to become more and more active.

Maybe you should talk your daughter into getting married on a cruise!! They you could do both!
 
Awe Kathy, sorry to hear about the cuise, however I am happy to hear you have a wedding coming up. I do hope things work out where you would be able to do both. Your new knee will be quite recovered by then and you'll be ready to dance and party without pain.:dancy:

Stay well and positive my friend! Oh yes and don't forget, medicate, ice and rest!:friends:
 
Thanks Jacky, I'm not fussed whether I go on the cruise next year or the year after, but I think my daughter's wedding is much more exciting. Not sure how my eldest sister-in-law will see it though. She is one of the four others we are going with and she's rather selfish about things like that. But I'm not bothered. My own family always comes first. My other sister-in-law will be fine with it.

It's been such a lovely hot and sunny day today. My Mum came over lunchtime and made me a sandwich and coffee. She changed our bedclothes, washed them and hung them out to dry. I took advantage of the weather and sat out in the garden for a couple of hours, with my leg up. It was lovely to get some air and a few rays :SUNsmile: What a difference the weather makes :)

Nyland, I certainly hope to be cutting the rug at Kelly's wedding :dancy:

Thank you Leisa. I think my pain meds are okay now and I am elevating my leg even more as from today - instead of just the wedge, which I never felt was high enough, I have two pillows on top of the wedge now. Any higher and I will be doing the splits :heehee:

Jamie, I will certainly stick to my guns about the pain meds. I'll be the judge of that, not my GP, rest assured. Have booked my appointment to have the staples out on Wednesday afternoon. Does that hurt? The hospital gave me a tool to give to the nurse for it to be done.

Kathy
xx
 
Kathy I had my staples out last week and although it doesn't feel good, it shouldn't make you cry. I had 24 of them to get taken out and there were a couple that were kind of sticking. I only swore under my breath once, but did say ouch about 20 times if that helps you. That is when the nurse kept saying she was sorry, and I told her, no you aren't, it is your job to get them out and you just do it. But it made her laugh. After staples are are, they put those steri strips on and they are suppose to fall off in 5 days and here it is a week later for me and they are all hanging on tight yet. Not sure if I should peal them off or not.
 
Ouch, thanks Debbie - think I will be swearing more than once - under my breath of course :heehee:

Kathy
xx
 
My staple removing was done by a 'new' girl :groan: Wasn't bad though, she was actually pretty good. I had one or two that were really swollen around and they stung.. but they brought me a glass of juice and a granola bar. I chomped and drank my juice and it distracted me.
I only have 3 or 4 steri-strips still on.. incision is almost healed. :yay: Good for you Kathy, out in the sunshine for a bit.
Take care.
 
Glad you got out in the sun Kathy, I may do the same thing! It's about 75 and blue sky with big puffy clouds!

Good luck on the staples removal. My OS used sutures and glue, then steri strips, so no staples for me. I had a reaction to the steri strips this time though and they itched like crazy. After 9 days or so I peeled them off, knowing the incision was pretty well healed.

I am sure you will have a blast at your daughters wedding. Check out Jazyb, her son got married and she posted some great pictures in the social room. Hope you can do the same!

Be well my friend!

Dawn
 
A few gentle stretches here and there. It's enough! My 2nd TKR knee would hardly budge at first. The gentle approach worked - now it bends (I don't know the ROM number but it looks like about 100 or so) and quads are good and strong. Easy does it!
Don't even worry or fret about the numbers! The PT's do that for you. Just keep on gently taking care of your knee and your ROM will continue to grow---and as long as you can do what you want to do, and it is pain free, who cares about the numbers?
 
The time will fly in between now and a wedding next year! Great o have something exciting to look forward to.
Our son gets married 2 weeks on Saturday and the lat year has just disappeared, I can't believe it's here already
 
Good to hear your incision is almost healed, Leisa. Distraction while the staples are removed sounds good to me, will have to think of something, but think I will be too het up to eat anything.

Oooh get out in that sun, Dawn, it's lovely and good for the bones :) Yes, I saw Jazyb's photos - certainly inspiring. I have a year to get my knee in order to do some boogying :heehee:

I'm not worrying about numbers, Tim, just doing it visually - still no improvement though :shrug:

Kathy
xx
 
I know the time will fly, Nancy. Woo, only two weeks until your son's wedding. How exciting. You must let us see some photos after the event :)

Kathy
xx
 
Hi, Kathy--

I just did a fairly long post and need to get out of this chair and back to bed. But I read that you were going through a hard time and just wanted to come over and offer my support and hugs as well. My heart goes out to you.

Laurie
 
Thanks Laurie. I did post to your own thread and I really appreciate your support.

I just got back from having my staples out. It was a bit ooh aah, but not half as bad as I thought it might be. One bit did bleed a tiny bit. The nurse put a fresh waterproof dressing on and said to keep it on until Sunday or Monday and then I can do without a dressing. Ray needed to stop off at Aldi on the way back to pick up something. So by the time we arrived home my knee was aching a fair bit, but I have it nicely iced now.

Must admit it was sooo good to put make up on, smooth my hair with the hair dryer and wear nice clothes again after 15 days of slobbing :happydance:

Kathy
xx
 
Just caught up on your post op thread. (I've been in so much pain from teeth problems and the knees that I haven't posted much lately) Glad you are feeling better. Would love to read those notes on your phone that you wrote right after your surgery if you ever post them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom