Guest viewing is limited

TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kathy, I think the whole forum was wait for your return! Congrats on being on the other side!we missed your sunny
disposition! :SUNsmile: You are In a rough spot right now, no doubt! :scratch: Hard to believe right now, but honestly it will get better. You are going to do two very necessary things, as you know they will help! :thumb: You are going to postpone your PT session and you're going to call for stronger meds, then you're going to sleep and elevate, elevate, elevate! :zzz:

You are such a babe out of the woods right now so please don't be so hard on yourself! There's plenty of time to bust you butt!

Stay well and stay positive my friend! We all care! :friends:
 
We 50/60 somethings are girly girls! :heehee: I must be getting better! I've blown my hair and worn make-up all week. See Kathy? It does get better!
 
Good to see you are home and surgery is behind you. To paraphrase what everyone else has said:
Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule!
 
Hi Kathy and welcome to the other side. You are suffering my poor friend and we feel for you. You are going through the normal horrible stage of week 0 to 4 and it really is tough. You just have to tough it out and it will get better. Your only job is to rest, elevate, ice and take pain medication. If having a shower is too much effort - don't bother. If doing any exercise is too much effort - don't bother, just rest and listen to your body.

While your knee is so swollen your ROM will not move, so don't worry, keep icing and it will slowly improve. Gentle stretching is a good idea about 3 times a day to keep the quad muscle interested. As for physio, don't worry about not going - I didn't have a session until 10 days after my op and to be honest I wouldn't have wanted to go any sooner. The car journey alone is so tiring and makes your knee swell even more.

I would definately ask for different pain medication as you must keep on top of the amount of pain you are dealing with. I bet your hubby is running around for you today; bless him! No appetite is normal - I was the same and it took quite a while for it to come back to a normal level. I guess our body goes into shock after such a major operation.

With the Cryo-Cuff, Dawn has given you spot on advice on how to use it efficiently. I used 2 empty Walls Icecream plastic cartons and filled both with water and placed in the freezer. Having 2 you always have one ready frozen to use. One would go into the container with some water and then I topped it up with ice cubes. I found this would last hours and would be ice cold. My hubby was in charge of this procedure and he did an amazing job keeping it all going. We found that we were changing the water twice a day. He would put a new block of ice in just before he went to bed and that wold last until the morning. I would have 3 ice blocks during a 24 hour period. I am a huge fan of the Cryo-cuff and I think you just need to get a routine going for it to be more effective. I also used gel packs with the cuff as Dawn has mentioned. It's a shame Dawn and I don't live down the road from you and we could come and set you up with all the gear :heehee: (your hubby might have something to say about that!) Also, while your knee is so swollen and warm it doesn't always appreciate the ice cold cuff as it's hot and burning inside but it really is doing some good for the swelling.

Don't forget to keep your knee above your hip so it can drain nicely - very important! Lecture over from me your pleased to know!!!

Take care Kathy and keep us posted - we are all here for you cheering you on :yay: :yay: :yay:
 
Thank you all so much for your much valued advice and support. You have reduced me to more tears with your kindness :bow:

Janet, thank you for reminding me that this is normal. I do know it is thanks to this forum, but at the same time I think we all want to do that running before we walk, don't we :whistle:

Nyland, hair and make-up oh yes, they are way down on the list of priorities now and I am even quite liking my curly hair - did I really say that? Never been known before :rolleyes: My friends know that I won't be caught out in any damp weather as I always ask, "has my hair gone curly?" It's my trademark :rotfl: I bet you felt and looked real glam having your hair done at the salon.

Titianlady, thank you for your advice re the alcoholic bags. So many different options to try.

bassplayer, I have rung the surgery about the pain meds and am now waiting for my doctor to give me a call. It's good to hear that you are feeling really good at the 12 week mark.

Jacky, thank you for your kind and encouraging words as usual. I left a message with the physio postponing my appointment this morning. I do feel better about that and know that it would have been wrong to go at this time. I'm sure my sun will put in an appearance soon :beg:

Chris, I hear what you say about rest, ice, elevate and paind meds and know these are the golden rules.

Jo, lovely to hear from you. Sounds like you had an excellent system going with your Cryo Cuff. I obviously haven't got it right yet, but hopefully will do. I remember you not having much of an apetite too, but hope this can kick start me on eating more sensibly in the future. If only you and Dawn lived down the road from me :heehee: and believe me, Ray would appreciate any suggestions - he is quite at a loss with all of this and I do keep reminding him of the fact :heehee: Jo, you and everyone else can lecture me all you like. Any advice and suggestions is all good on here.

Kathy
xx
 
Hi Kathy,

You have such a great attitude, I love it! It can be hard to hear all this advice and try to implement it as we don't all have the same access to help and resources. I found that if I tried something and it worked, I stuck with it. It's a trial and error thing.

And Jo, yes, I wish we lived closer for many reasons, but to be able to go see Kathy and get her all pampered up and "chilled out" on the ice routine, now that would be awesome! I have thought many times if I had unlimited financial resources, I would travel to visit and care for my Bonesmart friends wherever they live, now that would be amazing! I can dream about it at least! Jo, we could start a business as the traveling recovery buddies!!

In the meantime, now that I am done dreaming, keep the faith that better days are ahead of you. Maybe start a journal to track how you feel each day, what you have been doing, what meds you are taking, could prove useful. It also might help you focus your thoughts on what you need as your progress through the recovery journey. I wish I had done that right after my TKR. I did with the revision, using this site to capture what was happening. I have gone back to read it a few times already and it does help me build perspective.

Be well my friend, and I will keep sending warm thoughts your way!

Dawn
 
You are so kind, Dawn and thank you for the compliment (she says blushing). I love the idea of the travelling recovery buddies. You should patent it :heehee: I will certainly apply for a job.

It's really funny you should mention about keeping a diary. I started to do that on my 'Notes' app on my iPhone in hospital from day one and have kept it up - noting all what has gone on, including my emotions. Have actually enjoyed doing that. Don't know what I'll do with it - perhaps create one of of those free blogs so that people who are pre-op can read it and have an idea of what to expect.

Am feeling a bit more 'up' today. Maybe the weather is helping - there's a lovely blue sky out there today. Have arranged my painkillers with my GP after he phoned me back earlier. He is prescribing me Paracetamol and Tramadol. Ray is on his way now to pick them up. I have also given him a shopping list. First time he has done a week's shop. Scary, wondering what he will actually come back with and how much he will overspend, as he is prone to do when we go shopping together :yikes: And then he will have to put it all away when he comes back - welcome to my world me dear :rotfl:

Isn't it amazing that when we have no choice but to sit here on our bums, we can see exactly what we do do around the house. I'm not talking just about the housework cleaning, but the little things like putting the washing up straight into the dishwasher (instead of onto the sink), putting coats away into the cupboard instead of leaving them on backs of chairs, fluffing the cushions on the sofa, etc. The list is actually quite endless. I can see now how fussy I am about all these things and I'm not really what you call houseproud. For anyone who is houseproud and has to go through this, it must be tortorous (spelling?). All very interesting.

Kathy
xx
 
Dear Kathy,

So lovely to see you here on the "other side." I have been so thinking about you. Sorry to hear that you are having so much pain and tribulation. I don't know why this should be, there seems no rhyme or reason to it. Mine was a complex joint replacement with "building blocks" half way down my tibia, and I have had a really good bend, right from the start, and after four weeks, and excellent advice from the redoubtable Josephine, I am only on the Bonesmart Cocktail of Ibuprofen and Paracetemol.
Now, I feel sure that I didn't do anything that you didn't do.
It just seems to be the luck of the draw.
I am four weeks and a bit out now, and I am am finally starting to feel a lot more like myself.
Still exhausted by much in the way of physical activity, and with not very much in the way of appetite, but getting there, and able to take short walks now.
Even without the pain that you are in, it sometimes feels like digging yourself out of a deep pit.
Four weeks seems to be the turning point, perhaps that is when the healing process is at maximum?

Sorry to hear the Cryo Cuff isn't doing a lot, I am finding mine a godsend, but it sounds as if your swelling is much worse than mine.
Either way keep resting and using the ice, and just the gentle knee bends and stretches.
I know you will get there, and sooner than you think.
 
Emotionwise, a little better today, thank you Nyland. For all our preparation, we still find it hard, don't we? Glad I postponed my physiotherapy. My eldest daughter found she had a few ice packs in her loft, so she got them down and just brought them round for me, so they are in the freezer at the moment.

I am actually starting to crave for 'real' food now, you know, meat and veg - shepherd's pie and peas would be nice - yum yum :)

Hope you are okay today, having only read today what you have been through in the past week. Boy, you have been tested, but have come through it shining - thanks heavens my dear friend :flwrysmile:

Kathy
xx
 
Hi Kathy, you sound just like I felt in the first while. And of course I agree with all the advice above, especially about getting pain control medication, your GP surely could prescribe some? Oh yeah and, surprise, about doing nothing, and lots of it. Extra nothing, more telly. Don't be downhearted about being so tired, it's your body taking over and getting stuck into healing, takes all your energy.

Never mind rubbing alcohol, Gordon's and Tonic is what you want, never mind icing the knee get it stuck in that glass as well, it's what ice was invented for, use frozen peas for your knee if you have to. Note: keep them in the packet, it's most awkward otherwise.
 
Aah Jess, I was just about to come looking for you, to see how you are doing. And wow, you are doing so very well. Is it really four weeks for you, that has wizzed past. I'm so happy for you that your recovery is a good one, particularly since your surgery was, as you say, much more complex than normal. I am in awe that you had a good bend right from the start. As you say, probably just the luck of the draw. I always get the short straw :heehee:

Last night Ray put a 4 pint bottle of water in the fridge and poured that into the Cryo Cuff together with the ice this morning and that has made quite a bit of difference to the temperature going into the Cuff. Though I'm still disappointed that the temperature lowers so quickly. Hopefully Kelly's ice packs used in conjuction with the Cryo Cuff will help. It's all trial and error, isn't it?

I'm quite sure I will get there eventually. I suppose I should just take advantage of all this rest and not having to do anything around the house.

Kathy
xx
 
Ha ha Roy, love your sense of humour :rotfl:

By the way, not that I feel like a tipple at the moment, but are we allowed if we fancy the odd one, while on medication, e.g. for me on Paracetamol and Tramadol?

Kathy
xx
 
I haven't tried any serious alcohol yet, but now I am on only OTC medicines I decided to split a honey beer with my husband the other night while watching the Paralympics Opening Ceremony, and I can't tell you how delicious it was. Coffee still "tastes funny" to me, but the beer was good.
 
[Bonesmart.org] KathyH New Knee
KATHY, TO THE "OTHER SIDE" AND THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF RECOVERY! Sorry you had such a rough start. (It's what happens to people who feel guilty about surgery because their knee really didn't hurt--just kidding, of course.)

You've been here long enough to know to follow the BoneSmart mantra--meds, rest, elevation, ice, and very gentle exercise. It works---as so many of us can attest to. You're allowed a cocktail when your only medication is the BoneSmart cocktail. So it will be a while.

You're also allowed to feel a bit sorry for yourself--but only a bit--then it's that stiff upper lip stuff the British are so famous for!:heehee: Take care of yourself, keep us posted, we care.
 
Kathy,
I would just add that when you do decide to take that hour drive to PT, take your ice pack along in the car. My ride to PT and to church are only 30 minutes, but having the ice for the journey made it much more bearable. Then it's in the car for you to use all the way home too. Make an extra one that's really solid so that after two hours of melting it will feel comfy or take along a cooler. I also took my ice pack into church for the hour-long service. I didn't do that last week and regretted it. I think it's the time we are spending with our knee bent and our foot on the floor when we are used to elevating.

On the alcohol question, I am NOT a medical professional and am only sharing my own experience. My husband allowed me a very small pour of wine (nowhere near a full glass) when a friend brought over a nice bottle and we were celebrating my first steps without a walker. A couple of my therapists have joked about it too and hinted that one rare drink probably is ok. It depends a lot on what meds you are taking. In my case, it just adds to the drowsy feeling tremendously. But the main concern is our livers. Most of us are getting the max dose of Tylenol daily and adding alcohol to that on any sort of regular basis could cause liver damage, I understand.
 
Ha ha Judy, thanks for the welcome to the other side :) I don't go for all that stiff upper lip stuff usually, but think I may give it a whirl in this case :heehee: Believe me Judy, I'm doing nothing but resting, icing and elevating. In fact I have become part of the furniture now and people keep trying to sit on me :rotfl:

Cheryl, thank you for the valuable advice about taking ice packs on a journey - excellent idea! I don't think I will be partaking of any liquid refreshment of the alcoholic kind any time soon - just be sticking to coffee and tea.

Kathy
xx
 
Hi Kathy! So glad you're feeling a bit better today. Are you on any blood thinners, like Coumadin, or taking aspirin? It you are then maybe you should ask your Dr. If you can have a bit of the spirits. Funny thing, the day I came out of surgery and was hooked up to morphine, my surgeon ordered wine for me with my dinners! Here I am, morphine running into one arm, and drinking a glass of wine. I had wine with every dinner while I was in the hospital. Didn't hurt me a bit. We're watching out for you dear heart. Things will get better every day.
 
I'm doing nothing but resting, icing and elevating. In fact I have become part of the furniture now and people keep trying to sit on me :rotfl:

Wow Kathy, that sunny disposition made an appearance really quick! I'll bet you even made yourself laugh ou load!:loll:
I'm happy to hear you're feeling better today!

Stay well my friend!

Oh and by the way, I wish I had your curly hair! I've had very straight and fine hair all my life and always got perms to compensate for it. Then, long story short, I lost all my hair due to a thyroid malfunction. When it grew back it was pure white and then evolved into it's natural color over the years. My husband liked the white hair, me not so much! Now I'm just happy to have hair! But I still envy women with curly hair, however I will take what I have, no more perms!:thumb:
 
Hi Kathy - you made it! Sorry about the pain & swelling - IT IS NORMAL!. You can get 3 small (300mls bottles of water in a cryo cuff bucket & it lasts quite well) Gel packs are definitely colder though. Sounds like you might need stronger pain relief, your GP should be able to prescribe Tramadol. don't push yourself too hard, be gentle. Some gentle heel slides will keep your ROM going 'til the swelling goes down. I found a small plastic tea tray was great. It IS a hard slog, make sure those 'understanding' colleagues know what you've gone through!!!! Chin up - you'll get there :console2:x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom