Guest viewing is limited

TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy I just got back from the OS and he showed me a trick to get flexion. He said you will never get it by pushing it and the PT should NEVER be pushing on it for you in order to get more flexion. He said the quad muscle is so strong that when it is tightened up it will not allow you to get the best flexion you can get. I was laying down and he held up my leg by the back of my knee, above my knee so that my lower leg/foot is just dropped down. Then you just wait and relax until gravity has taken over and your muscles are all relaxed and then you see an amazing difference in the flex you can get by gravity, compared to pushing on it or trying to do it yourself. I had been doing this on my rolling office chair, holding up my thigh and letting my lower leg just hang and can't believe how much bend there is that way. Please try it for me! Either yourself or have someone hold it up for you! :egypdance:
 
Thanks Nancy and Jess. Having reported lately as there's been no change. I have been fine in myself and feeling a lot perkier, thanks heavens.

My birthday was on Wednesday and I had a wonderful day. I popped in to work in the morning for coffee time and it was lovely to see the girls. They made me feel very welcome (and I had been so nervous about going back - silly really) and were all very complimentary about how I looked, which was a huge boost to my ego. It was so good to make myself up and because I have lost so much weight I put on a dress that I bought in a sale about at least three years ago and I was able to zip into it very easily. That was a big booster too. Everyone complimented me on my weight loss. I feel real good at this weight - just hope I can keep it - that can be more difficult than losing the weight. But we'll see.

The Bursar, my line manager, was very kind and said that I can go back to work whenever I feel like it (within reason, I presume :heehee:). I have my next check up at the hospital in two weeks, so I'll decide after that - knowing that an MUA is probably looming.

My youngest daughter, Katrina, accompanied me as she was off work that day and afterwards we drove to Primark and I treated myself to two pairs of ankle boots. One of my work colleagues has lost shed loads of stones (pounds to my USA friends) by doing the Lighter Life plan. She said that her shoe size has gone from 7 to 5. Well I usually have to get a 6, but when I tried the ankle boots on the 6 was way too big and the 5 fitted me - crazy! I wasn't aware that your feet decreased with your weight :heehee:

In the evening my Mum came over, so too did my eldest daughter, her partner and three grandchildren and we got a Chinese takeway. It was yummy. I had loads of cards and such lovely presents. So all in all it was a perfick day :)

I couldn't face being tortured at physio on Monday, so I made out I didn't feel well and cancelled. Missing it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I am still using my exercise bike and doing my stretches and icing.

Marianne, I was doing that same exercise you mentioned above, about the gravity thing. When I told my PT about it she advised me not to do it. She said the only thing it was doing was putting a strain on the knee. It is so confusing when PTs tell you different things. So as I have said before, we should go with what we feel comfortable with and what we feel is helping us.

One of my BILs had a knee replacement early this morning. My SIL has reported that it was successful and he is on the ward now. Also, my future DIL's grandpa (he's 90) had one of his knees replaced at the beginning of this week. So it seems to be a family thing at the moment :heehee:
 
Belated Happy Birthday Kathy Im so pleased you had a good day. How nice it must be to have a weight loss too. I am sure what I did lose Ive put on again eating all the wrong things since I got my appetite back. It must have been lovely to get out. I really do miss going shopping with my daughters which was a regular weekend occupation. Im getting about with a cane for confidence now so soon maybe. Im glad youre not fretting about physio any more. Its just not worth it. You cant force whats not going to happen ans you seem to be doing so well with everything else so I am sure it will come. Take Care.
 
Happy Belated Birthday Kathy. Sounds like you had a very nice day. Now I lost 70 pounds lately and a total of over 120 pounds in many years and my shoe size is still huge. Wondering if shoe size is different in the UK compared to the US as I wear size 11, I know it is huge, you must have tiny feet.
 
Hi Kathy,

Happy belated birthday!! You should be so proud of the weight loss, that is wonderful news! I'm glad you had some great family time and were so well celebrated!

I hope the next 2 weeks fly by so you can ge an opinion from the OS. I always feel better when I know what I am dealing with.

Do take care,

Dawn
 
Thanks to all for your birthday wishes.

Debbie, yes shoe and dress sizes are different in the UK and USA. I don't know how it works though. I would say my shoe size is average, certainly not tiny.

We have a girlie night tonight, about a dozen of us, which consists of my friends and my two daughters' friends. We start off with drinks and nibbles at ours then the youngsters go off into town to a club. Not sure if I will go with them. I still get relatively tired of a night, but we'll see....
 
Happy belated birthday Kathy! I hope you had a great time with girlie, it sounds like it would be great fun! My shoe size has changed also, my weight must have been squishing my feet, I think! :scratch:
 
Happy Birthday, my friend! I'm sorry that I am just catching up. I'm so glad to hear that you had such a nice and happy day. You sure do deserve it! You have had a really rough recovery ride. It is a tough recovery at it's best, and you, my dear, have been thrown some curves and challenges. Bless your heart. You are such a good friend to all of us, always cheering us up. We love you, Kathy. Feel well!
 
Can I second that!

We were waiting for our op's together and I had the long and complicated surgery and I'm doing really well, and poor you have been faced with all kinds of vicissitudes.
Life is sometimes not fair.
 
Hi Jess!!!! I'm so glad that you are doing well. 4 months seemed to have been our magic number. HUGS!!!!
 
Happy Birthday Kathy! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Good work on the weight loss!
I sure don't know how your PT can say that gravity is hard on your knee! Maybe because it wasn't her idea! ha!
Let's hope you get a break through soon...maybe it will just happen on it's own when you are least expecting it!
 
Thank you Jacky, Nyland, Jess and Marianne. Well yes it has been rather a rocky road to recovery, even though I am not there yet. All that nausea I suffered and I felt so ill and down with it - they were really dark days for me. But something good came out of that - the fact that I have lost 18lbs in weight and am feeling so good about that. So good things can sometimes come out of the bad.

At times life isn't fair Jess, but I suppose we have to go through the bad to fully appreciate the good times.

I went to physio this afternoon. I am not going to see her again until after my hospital visit next week. She said it's not worth pushing me hard until then, as it's not really getting me anywhere with there being too much scar tissue now. I have accepted that the MUA is now my only option. Just want that done before Christmas, as I was planning on going back to work after the New Year, otherwise if I have it done after Christmas it means another delay. Not that I am actually wanting to go back to work now after all this time :whistle: but I will probably be on half pay then and I can't afford that.

The physio room had been moved to the first floor and there were lots of stairs, but I walked up them normally, which was very good. I still have to come down one at a time though, but that's because of my poor bend.
 
Hugs KathyH!! Yesterday I was able to walk up my stairs normally too! I have tried it before but it was still too achey,but did it yesterday and was so pleased! But going down, I too, still have to take one step at a time. I have my OS appointment this week and am a bit nervous. I have gotten my bend to 105, but can't get my straightening lower than 12. He said last time that for some that takes a lot longer, so hoping the MUA is still out for me.

I hope you are able to get your MUA really quickly so you can get back to work. Although, I know the money issue, but worry that you will be able to go back work so soon. Good luck sweetie, we are rooting for you! Hugs!
 
Thanks Gail. Congratulations to you too on going normally up the stairs. Great when we do normal things, isn't it? Your bending is great at 105. It seems like you either have a good ROM and less extension or vice versa. Is there anybody who has had excellence with both, I wonder?
 
Hi Kathy,

Sounds like your physio is very practical, I like that! At least soon you will know the next step and if it is the MUA, I am hopeful it will be just what you need. For many people it was like a jump start and helped a lot. I look forward to hearing what your OS has to say.

In the meantime take care and keep your chin up!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Hi Kathy, Just catching up and want to wish you a belated "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"!! All the best with you MUA.
Hugs, Gilda
 
Hi Kathy, bet your nervous about your hospital appointment. But if you do need the MUA before Christmas would be so much better. A nice start to the new year for you. Its interesting what you and Gail was saying about MUA and extension. My extension is 0 and has been practically from week 1 MUA not so good. 6 weeks and just over 90. Not brilliant. I dont think ive read on here of anybody with good results from both. Interesting. Keep us up to date with your hospital appt. Take Care
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom