TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

So, tomorrow is my last session with Danny and I'll have to find an outpatient facility next week.
Remember not to let him hurt you. You've already told him not to, so if he does anything you don't want he will be committing an assault on you. Be firm.
 
Post-Op Day 15 February 4, 2015
Well, Danny didn't show up or call today :dancy:. He never did schedule a specific time, but would call me on the day he was to come and let me know what time he'd be here. Also, the nurse was a no-show today too.
I have a feeling everyone will come tomorrow.....
I had a great day. My pain is back under control and it makes such a huge difference!!!
I can walk around the house without walker or cane.
Two co-workers came by and brought lunch, and another friend took me out to dinner. I have a better social life now than before the surgery LOL.
@gr82cu2 , I have my first follow up appointment this Fri with my surgeon's PA and will get another rx while I'm there.
I don't have a ride, so I'm going to drive myself. I drove around the neighborhood this afternoon and was just fine.
@Celle , Don't worry about Danny. It took me 4 days to recover from what he did last week and I will not let him do that again!
I finally feel as well as I did before I started PT.
Best regards,
Karen
 
Way to go Karen. Another milestone hurdle.... in and out of the car. Congratlations Maggie x
 
Driving already! That's great, Karen. You are moving along very quickly. Good for you! PT gave me clearance to walk without cane around the house now, and that feels great. (Not that I remembered it very often anyway!)

Yeah, amazing how those pain meds make such a difference in EVERYTHING! I was trying to cut back a little on the oxys, so didn't take the time release last night, but also made the mistake of not taking quite enough of the oxycodone. Knee said, middle of the night, "HELLO????" So I took more, and this morning, sticking to a schedule, just adding an hour between meds.
 
How are you today? Glad you got the meds back on schedule - it really messes things up for a few days when you get behind. I think there might be a new rule about amounts, too - my doc does not mind giving me the perc but both scrips have been for 50 and the tramadol was 50 as well so I wonder if that isn't part of the new regulations? A hassle, for sure. Thankfully my PT is in the same office so it will be simple for me to get refills when I need them.

Congrats on driving! I am hoping to get the all clear when I get my staples out.
 
Post-Op Day 16 February 5, 2015
I woke up feeling good now that I am back on track with the meds. I have a friend who is so worried about me getting addicted, now I'm getting concerned. Should I be?
PT Sondra came and discharged me from home PT. I told her I did extra reps on my exercises this morning and she scolded me. She would rather I do less reps more often during the day.
About 3 hours later, Danny called asking if he could come by at 5:30. I told him I have already been discharged and he was supposed to have come yesterday and he would not admit he was wrong. Oh well, good riddance, Danny Boy!!!:spin:
Oh, the nurse hasn't come or called either. She just needs to discharge me. Will call her in the mornig and try and cross that off my list. Shouldn't have to babysit these people!
I hope all goes well with the PA tomorrow. Maybe I'll discuss my addiction concerns with him, but not until after I get my rx :heehee:.
That's All Folks!
Karen
 
Post-Op Day 16 February 5, 2015
I woke up feeling good now that I am back on track with the meds. I have a friend who is so worried about me getting addicted, now I'm getting concerned. Should I be? I hope all goes well with the PA tomorrow. Maybe I'll discuss my addiction concerns with him, but not until after I get my rx :heehee:.
That's All Folks!
Karen

I don't believe you are going to get addicted either. I had that concern as well but you will find that as time passes, your need (NOT DESIRE) for the painkillers diminish and you won't take them. Addicts will take them eve if they don't have pain. Even at 7 weeks, while we were in MI, I was still taking them every 6 hours. About once a week I would add 30 minutes to that, and then one day, viola! Didn't take them anymore...after about 2 weeks of that, I started taking the Tylenol/Ibruprofen info you sent me. You will be fine.
 
Agreed - I have no concern I'll get addicted, I want off them so I stop feeling gross...and so I can have wine again :) Whatever works, right?!
 
Now see what you've done?! A seed is planted...still, I'd rather be off the Perc, that is some serious stuff!
 
I was on Oxycontin---and I expressed my concern with my OS. He told me that, since I was taking the meds for a reason, that I would know when I did not need them anymore.

I was concerned about the strength and the addictive issues, but he helped me through my qualms.

He was right---I took them because of my pain---and when I did not need them anymore---I stopped.
 
@kaw205 I will join the chorus of you won't get addicted. I was so worried about that the first time around, but I swear your body just knows when it's time. I started forgetting to take my meds, plus it made me feel kind of blah after awhile, instead of feeling like I could function. If that makes sense?

How's it going today?

I'd kill for a glass of wine sometimes--it really is my big treat thing--but I am not comfortable drinking at all until I'm off the oxys. With Vicodin, I sometimes drank a glass or two of wine without any problems. I'll wait until I drop back to V. Which I thought would be this week, but I had a little setback so I'll keep to the oxys through the weekend.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015 [Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015 [Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015 [Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015
Post-Op Day 17 February 6, 2015

Busy day. The nurse came and discharged me.
I drove for the first time to the OS office. 45 minutes each way.
I was just a little sore after the drive there, but in a lot of pain after I returned home. I drove home with an icepack on my Knee.
The visit with the PA was short and sweet. They took xrays and he checked the incision. He said everything looks great and I won't come back until March 4 for a follow up with the doctor.
I asked him about my addiction concerns and he said it is way too soon to start worrying about that.
I also brought up the issue of only getting 5 days worth of meds at time. Instead of taking 2 5mg oxy every 4 hours, he changed it to 1 10 mg. I guess they are limited to prescribing not more than 60 pills at a time, so this will give me a 10 day supply.
I also got a rx for outpatient PT.
A few hours after I got home, I got a terrible case of the chills. I put on a blanket and turned on the heat.
I almost felt like I was getting the flu.
I then realized that I had hardly eaten anything all day, so I fixed a quick dinner and I feel much better now.
I'm going to try and attach a couple of pics. I hope it works.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Hi Karen, Pictures look great, I am glad you are doing so well. I also enjoyed my glass of wine while taking my medication, had no problems and slept like a baby, lol. Holly
 
Hi Hollly,
I haven't had any wine yet, but may have a small glass tonight before bed. A friend of mine, who is a nurse, said the pain killers enhance the effects of the alcohol and the alcohol enhances the effects of the pain meds.
I don't want to suggest that we all start hitting the bottle, but a little now and then is probablly ok.
How is your recovery going?
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Glad the PA switched the meds so you have a 10 day supply - bet the drive back the next time is a lot more comfortable! Congratulations - I am sure I could do it if I had to but after even just riding yesterday, I am really glad I don't have too!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom