TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

It really disappoints me that I was doing so well before PT started and now I'm back to using a cane.
That's why some surgeons (mine included) recommend no formal PT for the first 3-4 weeks after surgery. Rest, ice, elevate, and give the knee time to start healing before you start formal PT. During that time, you just need to do ankle pumps, heel slides and some walking around the house.

Don't worry - you'll get back to where you were and then continue to improve.
 
Good for you Karen - you are doing terrific!! I highly approve of the mexican food...and if you run out totally, there are always margaritas!!
 
@Celle,
Yes, that makes so much sense. I've watched several videos of the surgery and there is so much soft tissue trauma! I have no pain in the joint itself. It feels strong and stable.
 
Hi Karen, hope you had a good night sleep and wish you well on getting your refills today. Keep icing and don't let PT bully you into doing too much as you are doing wonderfully considering when you had your surgery.

Have a great day.
 
Hi Karen - checking in to see how you did on reduced meds - hope you can get the script done today!
 
Hi Karen. I'm finally catching up on threads an how people are going. You are awesome....put the dampner on MR PT... your ROM is probably tied up with his ego. Go the slower more gentle route. You will start moving ahead very quickly. Still loving the daily updates. Keep posting. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Hi @TexasTee and @Maggie94 ,
I have a ride tomorrow to pick up my rx. I've been taking one 5/325 oxy and one 50mg tramadol every 4 hours.and so far, I'm getting by ok, but the last hour is rough.
PT came today and I answered the door limping with a cane.
I told him how much pain I had been in for the past two days which made it impossile to do any exercies.
He was not agreeable to using a less aggressive approach.
He just did massage and stretching today and I only have one more session with him, then I'll have an eval by another therapist and, hopefully, be discharged.
You are both doing great, and so am I, except for PT, and that's just a little bump in the road.
Have a great day Ladies!
Karen
 
PT came today and I answered the door limping with a cane.
I told him how much pain I had been in for the past two days which made it impossile to do any exercies.
He was not agreeable to using a less aggressive approach.
He just did massage and stretching today
It's your knee, not his, and you have the absolute right to decide what happens to it!
You've experienced how his way has caused a setback. I wouldn't let him touch my knee again!

If you're still limping, I think you need more support than one stick.
 
Karen I agree with @Celle .what is the point of inflicting more pain a an already sore knee. Go on strike an say NO your knee will thank you. Stay strong. Big hug. Maggie x
 
Good for you - Danny can go terrorize someone else!
 
I agree with everyone above. I feel bad that your pain has gotten to be so bad because of the PT nazi. It is amazing that Danny is not willing to listen to you. Do you remember when I was being wheeled back into my room from just leaving the recovery room from surgery & the PT guy was there? I was being wheeled into my room, just getting off the transport gurney, when the PT guy made me walk to the room's doorway. I even asked him if he was kidding and he said he was not. Well, I did it and it hurt so bad. Heck, I was still impaired from the anesthesia! If he does it again with the next surgery, I am going to tell him to go to h&*L. Good luck tomorrow with your RX renewal. @TexasTee I love Mexican food, too!
 
Post-Op Day 13 February 2, 2015
Went another round with "Danny Boy" today. Just massage and stretching, thank goodness. He is set in his ways and I'm tired of being in pain.
I'm stretching out my pain meds, so that isn't helping....
My friend is taking me to pick up my rx tomorrow and then I'll take him to lunch. It will be good to get out of the house!
@MotownGirl66 , Yes, I do remember your first walk! My hospital stay was so short, it's all kind of a blur, but I know I had a couple of hours before they got me up and it wasn't too bad.
So, tomorrow, the woman who did my first PT assessment is coming. I think she outranks Danny, since she's the one who will sign off on my discharge. I will discuss his treatment methods with her and tell her I don't want him anymore.
She seemed to prefer the slow and steady route so, hopefullly, she'll understand.
Well, that's it. Can't believe I'm almost 2 weeks post-op already!
Karen
 
Sounds good, Karen. Will be interested to hear whether the supervisor is kinder. It will be great to get out, too, and have your meds!!

I had a very bad day with my PT today. Was feeling so good before he got here, even after getting out yesterday, and he was so aggressive trying to straighten my knee that it has been really aggravated, swollen & hot ever since. I've been icing, elevating, took an extra oyycodone, but it's still hurting.

Tomorrow, I'm off to surgeon to get staples out, finally see my wound. I expect he'll tell me to start outside PT next week. In the meantime, I'm telling my regular guy that he has to back off.
 
Can't wait to hear the update from the supervisor Karen! Glad you'll get your meds back on schedule.

@Awriterafoot - sorry about your aggressive PTs - what is UP with these people?! Mine better not be like these schmucks! Congratulations on getting the staples out - mine are one week from today and it cannot come soon enough!
 
Hi Karen, great to hear that you are doing so good, happy birthday and enjoy your cake.

Holly :cheers:
 
Hey, Karen - I've struggled also with aggressive PT and just switched therapists. I first interviewed the new one and asked questions about her approach to TKR and if she would respond to my limitations. I was satisfied with the answers and I read some favorable reviews of the PT practice. I knew so little about what to expect in recovery that I was initially at the mercy of the first PT but I became my own expert real quick. It just didn't make sense to me to ignore my body and to not allow a traumatized surgery site to heal gently. This forum validated that gut feeling for me. I think you're the best judge of what's right for your knee.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Post-Op Day 14 February 3, 2015
Well, it was a busy day. I had a friend drive me to the OS office to pick up my rx for a whopping 5 days of pain meds.
Had to go to 3 pharmacies before finding one that had it in stock. I found that you cannot even find out over the phone if it is in stock. You have to go in person to the pharmacy..
Somewhere in between, we had lunch. I was able to sit at a table for almost an hour without a problem.
Got home in time for my PT appointment with Sondra. I saw her on the first visit and liked her. I discussed Danny and she totally disagrees with his approach, unfortunately, she doesn't even know him. The agency must subcontract some therapists, so she can't help me out.
So, tomorrow is my last session with Danny and I'll have to find an outpatient facility next week.
Then, my friend came back and took me to the pharmacy to pick up the rx.
Getting my leg in and out of the car was the worst part of the day.
Well, I'm going to call it a day.
g'night!
Karen
 
Gosh Karen, I'm shocked! 5 days worth of meds dispensed on a Tuesday? Won't you run out over the weekend again? That's just craziness. You're barely 2 weeks post op. I'm glad you were able to at least have a nice lunch out and get a change of scenery. It really helps with the mental process of all of this. Good riddance to Danny!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom