TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Hi Karen! Your new knee looks fabulous! Glad to hear you are rid of Danny and will be able to do out patient PT now. I am so impressed that you were able to drive 1.5 hours in one day yourself. You give me the inspiration that I may be able to return to work after 6 weeks!
Hope you are having a good day today and I have added a bottle of wine to my recoup list :)
 
@Blendab1
Hi Brenda,
I think it's very possible that you'll be able to return to work in 6 weeks as long as your job isn't physically demanding.
I totally understand the anxiety you're going through right now. I can honestly say that , at least in my case, the anticipation was much worse than the reallity.
I've been out to restaurants twice this week, sitting in booths for at least an hour, and when it was time to leave, got up and started walking. Before the new knee, I would stand and wait for the pain to subside enough to limp my way out the door.
There will be bumps in the road, (like Danny), but I went into it prepared for the worst, so the bumps are just that, bumps and not hills or mountains. You get over it and move on.
There will be pain, but it's temporary. Ice, elevation and meds will get you through it.
As I got closer to my sugery date, I just wanted to get it over with and get on to healing.
I wouldn't hesitate to do it again and will probably have #2 done around this time next year.
Are you doing any pre-hab? I worked on quad strengthening and think it helped.
I'm so glad I found Bonesmart because no one could understand what you're going through better than those who have been through it themselves and that is priceless.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
[Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015 [Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015 [Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015 [Bonesmart.org] Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal  January 20, 2015
Post-Op Day 17 February 6, 2015

I also brought up the issue of only getting 5 days worth of meds at time. Instead of taking 2 5mg oxy every 4 hours, he changed it to 1 10 mg. I guess they are limited to prescribing not more than 60 pills at a time, so this will give me a 10 day supply.
I also got a rx for outpatient PT.
A few hours after I got home, I got a terrible case of the chills. I put on a blanket and turned on the heat.
I almost felt like I was getting the flu.
I then realized that I had hardly eaten anything all day, so I fixed a quick dinner and I feel much better now.
I'm going to try and attach a couple of pics. I hope it works.
Best Regards,
Karen

Nice pictures! Your incision looks really good. I am glad you mentioned their stinginess with the drugs. Did he give you 60? The blood thinner, Xarelto, used to give me the chills. I would just sit there and shiver like you described.
 
@MotownGirl66
Hey Robyn,
Yes, I did get 60 of the 10 mg, so that'll last at least 10 days.
I was on eliquis for blood thinning and finished it a few days ago. Now I take one 325 mg aspirin twice a day for a month.
I don't know why I had that shivering episode, but it went away and I feel fine. I think I just needed to eat something. The pain meds have killed my appetite which is a first for a girl who has never missed a meal!
I might even go to my Weight Watchers meeting tomorrow. LOL
I haven't weighed myself since surgery. I'm waiting for the swelling to go away. I remember you gained 11 lbs from the swelling!
take care,
Karen
 
Post-Op Day 18 February 7, 2015
I got up this morning and couldn't stand the sight of dog hair glistening in the morning sun, so I vacuumed.
Then, I decided my nest needed some freshening up, so I washed two loads of bedding.
In the afternoon, a friend picked me up and we went to visit a friend of ours who is very ill and under hospice care.
Then, we went to eat and by the time I got home, I realized that I had missed my meds by 2 hours and I was only a little achy. I hope this is a sign that I can start cutting back soon.
Hope everyone's having a great weekend!
Karen
 
Recovery going well Karen, no problems at all, just working on the ROM. Holly
 
I'm glad there were no consequences! Even if there were - it's life and while recovery is our main focus, we do have to make sure the rest of it gets accomplished as well.

Am I ever glad you mentioned that Robyn gained 11 pounds from swelling- I stepped on the scale the other day and was at +4 - if anything I had thought I lost weight considering how difficult it was to eat anything at first. Lets hope it's swelling and I'm staying off that mechanical meanie until a date far into the future!
 
Wow, what you did yesterday was impressive and gives me hope that I can do this in 6 weeks, god willing! I am so anxious just to get this done but I only have 4 more weeks to wait with a vacation in one week so I can do all my pre-op prep and watch my grandpuppies! I also have fun celebrations almost every weekend so before you know it I will join you on the other side!
Hope you are not too sore today and keep up the great work, its very encouraging!
 
@TexasTee ,
Yes, the weight gain is from the swelling. I'm staying off the scale too!
@Blendab1,
Great that you're keeping yourself busy with fun things for the next few weeks.
You know, what I did yesterday was just life starting to get back to normal. I feel fine today. No harm done!
It's interesting that you work for a company that manufactures knee and hip implants. Will you be gettig one of their knees?
Happy Sunday!
Karen
 
Karen, I wish I was but unfortunately I may have a metal sensitivity so we had to go with another company. I feel like I am letting them down, lol. The owner of the company is okay with it :)
 
Karen, I wish I was but unfortunately I may have a metal sensitivity so we had to go with another company. I feel like I am letting them down, lol. The owner of the company is okay with it :)
Brenda, I just saw this
Karen, I wish I was but unfortunately I may have a metal sensitivity so we had to go with another company. I feel like I am letting them down, lol. The owner of the company is okay with it :)

To all who have had their procedures, I wish you the best in recovery. I had bilateral TKR on Jan 15 and am recovering pretty well. Motion is good, but I am battling a bit with pain management. My advice is not to try
to cut back on the meds too early or aggressively. Otherwise all is well....

Brenda, I wish you luck when the day comes. I went to New England Baptist and I can't say enough about the total experience. I hope all goes well for you and hope you are also going to NEB.

Good luck to all !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
He he...I think I have list weight post op but I have cravings for Pringles ( thin salty crisps).... which I am putting down to the meds.
 
Am I ever glad you mentioned that Robyn gained 11 pounds from swelling- I stepped on the scale the other day and was at +4 - if anything I had thought I lost weight considering how difficult it was to eat anything at first. Lets hope it's swelling and I'm staying off that mechanical meanie until a date far into the future!

LOL! In my defense, the 11lbs. was determined within a few days of being home from the hospital stay. It all came off within a few weeks. :loveshwr:
 
Hi Karen! I am so glad to hear you feel like your old self again. For me, it is just starting, at week 21, when the pain left. I am sorry to hear you have a friend who is sick enough to be under the care of Hospice. It's nice that you got to visit with her.

I never lost my appetite during my recovery. I have to eat with those pain meds or I will projectile vomit like I did that one night about 6 days into my recovery, LOL! (Boy, that was an unGodly mess!)

@Blendab1 I am a few weeks out from you with my 2nd - you will be fine. You have all of us here to support you and tell you what NOT to do, LOL!

I know for sure that once I get into the hospital, I will not be the nice, mild, submissive patient I was the first time. If I have to introduce them to "my inner bi&%h", I will. If the A/C is not working in my room again, I will demand another room; if my pain meds aren't cutting it; I will demand they come up with a cocktail of some sort that will. And I definitely AM NOT starting PT immediately upon leaving the stinking Recovery Room from surgery! :bignono:
 
Hi Karen. Just checking in....don't get too carried away w cleaning....there is always tomorrow. Hope u have a great day. Maggie x
 
Hi @Gettinemdone congrats on your new knees!! My surgery will be done by the head of Orthopedic surgery for Southcoast hospitals so I am staying put here in New Bedford, MA. I am so inspired by all of you that I wish I was going in tomorrow. I want this!!
 
Back
Top Bottom