TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Hi @Gettinemdone congrats on your new knees!! My surgery will be done by the head of Orthopedic surgery for Southcoast hospitals so I am staying put here in New Bedford, MA. I am so inspired by all of you that I wish I was going in tomorrow. I want this!!
Brenda, St. Luke's has a great reputation as well. I am sure you will be in good hands. As a side note, you might want to see if your insurance will cover the cost of an Aircast "Cryo-Cuff" (or similar icing aid). It is an excellent tool for icing after surgery to reduce swelling and reduce pain.

Good luck !
 
Post-Op Day 19 February 19, 2015
It was a beautiful, warm and sunny day here in Fla, and I spent the whole day relaxing.
I did go to a Weight Watchers meeting, but skipped the weigh-in part until the swelling is gone.
Sat on the front porch and read the Sunday paper. Just a beautiful day.
Sadly, the friend I visited yesterday passed away this morning. I am so glad I got to see her and am comforted in knowing that she had a peaceful passing surrounded by loved ones...
Karen
 
Glad you had a nice relaxing day!

So sorry to hear about your friend - I'm sure it meant the world to her that you would come see her while recovering yourself. Hugs!
 
Karen I would love a warm sunny day as we have another snowy one here that won't end till Tuesday! Glad to hear you enjoyed your relaxing day and hugs for the passing of your friend. My co-workers dad passed this morning too :(


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@MotownGirl66 ,
Thanks Robyn, we worked together for 30 years. First at AC and then CE.
I am so glad I got to see her one last time.....
No update tonight. Uneventful day!
Tomorrow I start outpatient PT at 8am.
Wish me luck!
Karen
 
Enjoy yr PT...cheers Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Post-Op Day 22 February 11, 2015
Sorry about not posting yesterday (3 week anniversary!). I had friends drop by from out of town and they spent the night.
Therapy: I was assigned a therapist, Becky, who did an assessment. She was impressed by how my incision looks and how well I'm getting around at 3 weeks.
Then the dreaded "window of opportunity" talk and the need to get my flex to 120 within 4 weeks.
I didn't feel like getting into a discussion with her, but did let her know how I felt about Danny's approach.
So, she started out with exercises that I control, heel slides, quad sets and hamstring sets. 5 minutes each.
Then ice and TENS.
My next visit is tomorrow morning. I will take it a day at a time and if she pushes too hard, I'll look elsewhere.
The location is convenient (5 minutes from home), so I hope this works out.
I was sore today, but probably from all the cleaning I did before my friends arrived.
Has anyone ever used Scaraway products? I ordered the silicone gel and silicone tape from Amazon and it came today.
Hope everyone is doing well!
Karen
 
Oh, I forgot....She measured my flex and it was only 86. I was disappointed!:sad:
 
Fingers crossed that Becky has a gentle approach. If she doesn't can you request a diff PT at the same place?
Slow and steady....Maggie x
 
I spoke to the director of the facility and she seemed to have the same attitude.. I'll only be going twice a week, so on my off days, I'll do my own thing.
 
Plenty of time, but I understand your disappointment. Maybe you were a little swollen from the cleaning ahead of time.
 
Hopefully you and Becky will be able to work together - who would have thought this process of PT would be so tough? I understand your concern about your flex - my OS eyeballed my flex at 90ish when he took the staples out but I'm positive that PT will not measure that. We WILL get there...looks like we're just taking the scenic route.
 
Oh, I forgot....She measured my flex and it was only 86. I was disappointed!:sad:
Don't be disappointed. You're doing just fine.

86 at 3 weeks is pretty good. My surgeon doesn't worry unless you haven't got to 90 by 6 weeks, and even then he's prepared to leave you for a while longer, as long as you are making steady progress.

Becky's goal of 120 by 4 weeks is totally unrealistic for most people. It's all part of her misinformation about the so-called (and mythical) window of opportunity. Let her obsess about numbers. Don't you get sucked into her obsession. It's not even worth debating with her. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll continue to improve.
 
Back
Top Bottom