TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Post-Op week 11 April 7, 2015
Life goes on..... I've been back at work for 3 weeks now and still have pain and swelling when I first get up in the morning. I strap on an ice pack when I get to work and it gets better within a few hours.
I've been biking almost every day which is strengthening my quads.
I made the mistake of walking up and down 3 flights of stairs while working and paid for it later.......
Wishful thinking on my part, LOL...
Pain is being managed with tylenol/ibuprofen taken together and an occasional oxycodone as needed (like after the stairs).
My last PT session will be tomorrow evening no matter what my ROM is!
That's all folks!
Karen
 
Awesome!! I can't even envision riding a bike at this time. You are my inspiration!


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Karen that is fantastic...sounds like you are well on the way to getting your old life back - without the knee pain:yes!: I'm on a similar meds regime now... except for the 10mg oxy I take every night - rest is just tylenon (at night) and advil in the daytime but only these 2 if needed
 
@Blendab1 , @Maggie94 ,
Thanks ladies. Hope you are feeling better Brenda.
Maggie, I can't wait to get rid of this early morning pain. Still have to take a 5/325 oxycodone in the am.
Sitting @ desk with ice pack on knee now.
Oh well, this too shall pass...
Not complaining, just a little impatient...
 
I completely understand that you are feeling impatient. I, too, am so weary of this whole knee recovery thing. Not only is it the most painful operation out there, the recovery is the longest, I bet. I wonder which is more painful? A knee replacement or recovery from 2nd or 3rd degree burns over your body?

At 7 weeks, we drove to Michigan and spent 5 weeks up there. During the drive up there and while we were there, probably because we were so active, I was still taking RX painkillers but I cannot remember which ones, maybe it was Nucynta and Norco. But anyways, by the time we came home, I was taking them less and less until I got to the point where I was only taking Ibuprofen/Tylenol like we talked about.

This morning I woke up with knee pain and mild swelling on the knee I had replaced 7 1/2 months ago (shaking my head!) Why did that happen in the middle of the night when I did nothing to aggravate it?

Hang in there....this, too, shall pass....or so they say! LOL!
 
Karen, my mornings are pretty good, but sometimes nights are achy. I'm still taking Vicodin as needed since I can't have ibuprofen. Tylenol alone doesn't seem to address it. Still, most days I don't need it until night, or if I've done a lot during the day.

@MotownGirl66, I'm betting the burns are way way worse. :) Like you sometimes I still get weird, unexplained swelling and pain out of the blue in the first knee. It's much more annoyed with me right now over all the walking than the other, more recent knee. I've been thinking lately that it's more muscle-related than anything else--I don't think I have the full strength back in my quads and hamstrings, so I'm trying to work on that more. Planning to alternate long walk days with swimming days, see if I can get them back to normal.
 
Hi all,
Just stopped in to say happy Saturday!
I woke up real early, went for a bike ride when the sun came up then breakfast and off to Costco.
Now home and icing, then back to working on my weekend chores.
The knee is good as long as I take breaks and ice.
Very hot out today. Might get up to 90. Dreading the long, steamy summer........
 
Happy Saturday! I've not been doing a ton of icing recently but I have a feeling that going back to work and being up all day, in dress clothes! will need to bring that back in. I'm not sure I actually know what you do but sounds like we both have office type jobs. Are you wearing heels? I haven't been brave enough to try them out of the house. I put them on and they seem fine but not sure about walking around. Nothing crazy, just wedges
 
I spend part of the day in the office and part of the day in the field doing inspections. No heels for me!
 
@Awriterafoot I need to strengthen my quads, too. I have a bike but I want a new, lighter-weight, one. You're lucky you're a good swimmer. I am not but I suppose I could get to a gym w/ a pool and use a kick board and that would work. I don't want to join a gym here because we're going to be traveling in the next month but I imagine most of the campgrounds we will use will have pools.

@TexasTee How did your MUA go? Was it as brutal as they say?
 
I'm with you Karen...flatties all the way. 15 yrs since i wore heels....back in the corporate days. ...eeeeekkkk a lifetime ago

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Post-Op Week 12 April 14, 2015
Wow, it's hard to believe 3 months have passed already.
I am happy with my progress. My only problem now is the pain and achiness when I first get out of bed in the morning. It has been getting better though and I believe my daily bike rides have been helping.
I've been back at work for 4 weeks and all is well there.
No more PT for me. My last ROM measured 120 at PT, but I get a reading of 127 on my goniometer app.
(it may be more accurate than that plastic thingy the PT uses).
That's about it.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
It's crazy how quickly time has flown by, isn't it? Congrats on all your progress, I think you've done amazingly well.
 
Thanks @TexasTee and @referee54 ,
Tim, you're right about life being my PT! Better yet, there's no copay!! LOL
Teresa, great to hear you're going back to work. That's like "major normal"!
Have a good one.....
 
Post-Op Week 12 April 14, 2015
Wow, it's hard to believe 3 months have passed already.
I am happy with my progress. My only problem now is the pain and achiness when I first get out of bed in the morning. It has been getting better though and I believe my daily bike rides have been helping.
I've been back at work for 4 weeks and all is well there.
No more PT for me. My last ROM measured 120 at PT, but I get a reading of 127 on my goniometer app.
(it may be more accurate than that plastic thingy the PT uses).
That's about it.
Best Regards,
Karen

What app is this?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@wberry ,
Half days is the way to go. I wish I had done that. The first couple weeks of full time was a bit of a challenge, but all better now.
Good luck on your return to work!
 
Happy 3month anniversary Karen. Sounds like you are well on the way down the recovery track. I have to agree about daily bike riding....mine is only recumbant, but the circular motion is so good
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom