TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Way to go Karen!! Doesn't matter how far or how well, the first trip is behind you and it's only upwards and onwards from here!!! Did my first real yoga class today and I am super stoked. Normal, here we come!
 
@TexasTee
Great news on the yoga class! I had PT with the "nice therapist" who didn't hurt me. Yeah!
ROM was 117 without the torture....Do you have a lot of pain when you first get out of bed in the morning?
I have to use a walker for a few minutes until the pain settles down...
 
I don't have pain as I would recognize it but BS rules say stiffness is pain and it's definitely stiff the first 2 or 3 minutes in the morning...I'm not using a walking aid but I probably should, I do limp for 20 or 30 steps.
 
I was briefly concerned about what kind of scar I might have, then I realized the important thing to me was that the implant be done properly. Sure, I want a nice, neat scar, but more than that, I want a working knee. Hopefully, I can have both, but if I have to choose...
 
Post-Op Week 7 March 11, 2015
It's hard to believe 7 weeks have passed since my surgery!
Right now I'm gearing up to return to work next week. Putting away all the stuff I no longer need, so the family room doesn't look like a hospital ward. LOL.
Life is slowly returning to normal, however, it doesn't take much to make the knee cranky and bring on the fatigue.
Yesterday, I decided to fertillize the lawn. It's not a large yard and took about 20 minutes of just walking back and forth pushing the spreader.
Well, the knee thanked me with alot of pain and swelling and I slept 10.5 hours last night!
I have one more PT session tomorrow and then, I think I'll call it quits. My ROM is up to 117 and I'm sure bike riding and just being more active when I return to work will suffice.
I still need pain meds, but usaually just when I get up in the morning and before and after PT. The rest of the time, I use Tylenol and Ibuprofen as needed.
The funny thing is that knee #2, which is also bone on bone, has been feeling much better. I guess the new knee is pulling it's weight. It will be intresting to see if this continues...
Hope everyone is doing well.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Hi Karen - sounds like you are recovering really well - good on you!!. Don't you love how our knees "act up" if they are unhappy or cranky... just like 2 year olds having a tantrum. Well done on sorting the family room - Last week I gave my recliner, Betty, to a friend who had a TKR on Monday - that meant my family room returned to normal:yes: - so good!.

Today I take the throne back to the rental place to this means my bathroom will also be back to normal:yes:. Other than a walking stick at each end of the house (I have a long skinny house build over 100 years ago near the centre of the city - they are called gun barrel houses out here because you could shoot a gun thru the front door and the bullet would go straight down the hall and out the back door)

keep taking care of you. Keep up the walking and biking - cheers Maggie x
 
Thanks @Maggie94 ,
Here, we call them "shotgun homes". Just did 20 min on the exercise bike, now icing, then back to my chores....
Have a great day!
Karen
 
Yey Karen. I read while I peddle away on my recliner cycle. Washed bed linen today...in bed now (10.20 pm here) enjoying the smell of sun dried cotton sheets☺. Couple of chores tomorrow then physio and hydro therapies in afternoon. .. this is our lives as recoverees...is that a word? Well it is now...lol

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
@kaw205 the other knee feeling better is your mind playing tricks...guarantee you it would go back to hurting you if you cancel the surgery .....117 is great and will continue to get better when you get back to your normal routine...another successful recoveree,recoverer,person who has recovered whatever Maggie says is good by me....

Vinny
 
I don't blame you for stopping PT after this week, now that I'm back in yoga and biking - I'm no sure it makes sense to continue a lot longer. I'm book through the end of the month, I will probably stop them then, or perhaps book them every 2 weeks just to check in and see if I need to do anything different.

Getting back to real life is such a relief!!
 
Yay for cycling! I know exactly what you mean about the starting stiffness. I also have my seat raised high, and I tip my bike way over to get on. Oh well- I'm not so worried about my dignity these days.

Happy trails!
 
I don't blame you for stopping PT after this week, now that I'm back in yoga and biking - I'm no sure it makes sense to continue a lot longer. I'm book through the end of the month, I will probably stop them then, or perhaps book them every 2 weeks just to check in and see if I need to do anything different.

Getting back to real life is such a relief!!
@TexasTee Yoga! My favorite! I envy you - have you tried it yet?
 
Hi Robyn,
Just trying to get my head around going back to work :(.
Sorry you're not feeling well for your first RV adventure. Sounds like a nasty bug.
The knee is doing pretty good. Painful when I first get out of bed, but managing pain with usually only 1 percocet a day and tylenol/ibuprofen.
I've been sleeping 8-10 hours a night. Hope I can get up Monday morning!
Hope you feel better and enjoy the concert and visit with Michael!
Karen
 
Hey Karen - I hear you about getting up early for work, I have gotten so spoiled to go to sleep when I want and sleep into 8:30 - it's going to be tough to adjust. At least now the sun is coming up sooner so I'm counting on that to help!

Hi Robyn @MotownGirl66 - yoga has been great! I've been 3 times so far and plan to go tomorrow - the knee is not at all like it was before but I can do nearly everything (after a fashion) and my gosh, I feel SO MUCH BETTER after. Well, immediately after I feel like a lump but in an hour or so, my knee is moving so smoothly - no catching, jerking, limping, grinding - just smooth like silk. It's astonishing!
 
@TexasTee Do you have any swelling that interferes with your ability to bend it? I'm glad you're receiving good benefits from it. I'll get back into it after my next knee replacement heals.

@kaw205 You'll be in my prayers this Monday. You may not agree, but you've really had a great recovery. You've impressed me since Day 1.
 
Back
Top Bottom