TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Post-Op: Week 5 February 24, 2015
This past week, I have noticed an increase in my flex from 106-111. PT is going well and Betsy pushes me just far enough....
Also, I've been able to cut back on my pain meds and can get through most of the day on tylenol.
I take percoset at bedtime and when I get up in the morning. That's when the pain is the worst-when I get out of bed.
My new knee doesn't seem to like sleeping on the side.
I've started walking twice a day (once on PT days) and I get on the recumbent bike twice a day.
The big problem now is boredom......
All in all, it's been a good ride so far!
Karen
 
Great report Karen - well done:flwrysmile:

Boredom... mmmm guess there is only so much TV, so many books and movies to watch. I haven't got there yet but I can see that that point is not far away for me too. I don't seem as tired these days (week 4 post op today) so have more hours to fill. If you have any bright ideas let me know and I will do the same.

Keep up with the walking - I am on the same schedule - x2 except Mo, Wed & Fri which are rehab days. Take care, Maggie x
 
Great news Karen! I hear you on the boredom - I'm not much for crafts, I did try to take up knitting but I find it annoying rather than soothing so that's not exactly ideal. I do love to read so I'm doing that but so much SITTING!

I think I just need to schedule things better - an hour sitting and icing followed by a few minutes doing something "active" a walk or gentle yoga, brush the dogs, clean something, etc - lather, rinse, repeat! I've been more like go off and do something for an hour or two then come home and sit the rest of the day in penance. :-)
 
@TexasTee I like the idea of an electric bike. I know, in FL, the only things that can be ridden on a sidewalk are anything that is powered by feet. That includes a bike that a person is peddling or a person walking, or skateboarding. An electric bike, if used in electric mode, must be ridden in the roadway. If you choose to use it under "pedal power" then you can use a sidewalk. Just my two cents. I don't know about Austin, but FL has a very high rate of bicyclists getting run over by drivers compared to the rest of the nation. @kaw205 and myself, we have to be very careful of automobile drivers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ha - you've never been to Austin, I see! We do not have very many sidewalks...no idea why but it's by far the exception to have them. I'm not sure if there are rules about them but I've never seen anyone ride a bike on the few we do have. Thankfully though - Austin is VERY bike friendly - there are bike lanes virtually everywhere and people do seem to be careful of them. There are accidents, of course, but its certainly not prevalent.

Hope you ladies had a great weekend!
 
In PT today, I was working out next to a man who had the familiar bandage on his knee and I asked him when he had his knee done. He said two weeks ago and he is 75 years old. His ROM is 115.
I could barely eek out 107 today and I am 6 weeks out.:bawl:
 
Don't compare! I know it''s hard not to, but your recovery is your own. Who knows - the old fellow (I'm 73, who am I calling old? :heehee:) may have had a simpler operation than yours, or some other reason why his ROM is better. It doesn't mean his final result is going to be better than yours.
 
@Celle
Well, he was very fit for his age and is attending PT 4 times a week compared to my 2.
I was just impressed with his progress so early on...
He has inspired me to push a little harder!
 
LOL - I totally understand Karen - I was hobbling along with my cane to the store yesterday and a man, who had to be twice my age! zips by me and I seriously had a moment of gggrrrrrrr - sure, fella, I bet you can bend your knee, too, can't ya?! Just rub it in!! Snicker - then I had to laugh at how ridiculous I was but it was real for a second...this is a very long recovery.​
 
Thes last few posts have brought a smile to my face because I completely relate to what you are saying. It is so hard not to compare ourselves to others.

My surgeon must have sneezed or something when he made my incision because I have a crooked scar. You wouldn't believe how many OLD people feel free to comment on it and proudly show me their straight scars! Seriously? One guy flat out told me he would have chewed his surgeon out for not making a straight incision. I replied that I couldn't care less, I have scars all over my body, and I get keloid scars anyway, so it was no big deal. He thought it was. I guess in these old people communities here in FL, they need something to "one-up" each other with.
 
@MotownGirl66 ,
Some surgeons make an incision with a curved area right at the knee. Maybe that's what you have?
I had to get out of the house today even though my knee is still aching from PT yesterday. I ran some errands and it wiped me out too.
I dread the thought of going back to work!
 
@kaw205 I should have asked the surgeon why it was crooked, but never really cared enough to ask but you bring up a great point and that's what I am going to say the next time someone confronts me about it....that my surgeon went around the knee cap instead of straight over it. When are you "expected" back at work? Have you wondered how and why your co-worker went back to work so quickly? Didn't he return after three weeks or so? I think I did 6.5 weeks of PT because we left for Michigan when I was at my 7-week mark. I am going to text my PT guy & tell him to expect seeing me again. I am 19 days from it and dread, dread, dread it! :(
 
I understand the dread, @MotownGirl66, because I was the same between surgeries. Mine were almost exactly 5 months apart, and it looks like yours are six. Can you focus on the end result, rather than the upcoming trauma? Every surgery is different, and I can tell you that my second surgery was about 40x easier than the first. Maybe you'll have a similar experience!
 
@Awriterafoot Thanks for giving me hope! I will focus on the goal at the end. We are in the process of buying a motorhome and hope to be off and traveling in it by May 31st, which will put me at 10 weeks post-surgery. How are you doing in your recovery? How many weeks is it now?
 
Post-Op Week 6 March 3, 2015
Onward and upward...
I had a follow up visit with my OS today and everything looks good. He released me to return to work on 3/16.
That will be 8 weeks post-op. I will spend the last week working on my ROM. He said biking is the best exercise; either on an exercise bike or road bike.
I'm really anxious to get out on my real bike, but I think I need to increase my ROM a little more first.
@MotownGirl66 , My co-worker returned to work after 5 weeks and did just fine. He is a bit younger than me and was pretty agressive with his PT.
I think you'll be fine to travel 10 weeks post op because knee #2 is going to be the good knee and you're an old pro at this now!:dancy:
I know you just had surgery, but try to build up those quads if you can (I know, nag, nag, nag).
That's All Folks!
Karen
 
well done Karen - I'd keep to the exercise bike for ROM... I think what happens if you are on a road bike and you have to put your leg down suddenly when you stop (or similar I am not a rider). Just take care!

Love the nag nag nag... take a leaf out of your own book and work on leg lifts and quad strengthening as well - cheers Maggie x
 
I'm actually wishing I had just stuck with the original return to work of 3/16 too - I'm so bored and the weather is horrid! I'd rather be at work, sad, but true. Honestly, I think the knee would be fine with it with just a few accommodations.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom