TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

I know, right? I should be grateful to be somewhere warm and get outside!
 
I will trade geographical places with you in a heartbeat. Yesterday morning it was -21 here, and today we are getting 5"-6" of snow---and it is supposed to go down to -10* on Sunday night!
 
I'm getting really bored, too. It's my right knee, so no driving for awhile yet….and I'm kind of getting loopy being home, even if I work from home! Are you going back to work any time soon?
 
@kaw205 I rode my bike this afternoon! I don't know the distance but I have to drive it in my car to find out. But there was a good wind coming from the east and it felt fantastic. (I need a new bike).
 
@MotownGirl66 '
Yeah!!! It doesn't matter so much how far, just do 30 minutes. I have an app on my phone that tracks distance. Peddling into the wind adds alot of resistance. I found a used Trek bike on Craig's list for $150 and I love it.
I've just now been able to do full rotations on the exercise bike. I'm tempted to try the real bike, but I better wait a little longer.....
@Awriterafoot ,
Not sure when I'll go back to work. I have a follow up with the OS on March 4th, so at least 2 more weeks. I haven't been able to cut back much on the pain meds yet.
How about you?
 
Good 4 u Karen getting out on a real bike....I'm on the recumbent doing 10 min stints...very slowly

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
@Maggie94
Hi Maggie,
I haven't tried the real bike yet. I don't think I'm quite ready.
I was moping around the house today and when I saw that you walked half a mile, I got out and took a walk.
Thanks for the inspiration!.You are doing so well. How are things going at home? Do you have stairs in your house?
Have a great Sunday!
Karen
 
I work from home, Karen, so I'm already sort of back. I work an hour or two a day, when the meds are not interfering with my thinking too much.

And yikes on the real bike--I'd be worried about falling more than anything else. Oy!
 
Hi Karen....so pleased you went for a walk. I have decided that my exercise routine will be a walk round the block...half mile, then down the 14 stairs to my garage laundry gym room to do 10 mins on the bike then back up the 14 stairs to elevate ice and rest. I am aiming to do this at least twice a day.... I nominate you to be my walking buddy...hope you accept the daily challange ... the half mile takes me about 25 mins. Cheers Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
@Maggie94
Yes, I will gladly be your walking/biking buddy. No stairs here, but I will do some dreaded heel slided instead.
So happy for your amazing progress.
Karen
 
I think our recovery "crew" must be the luckiest in BS history - we're all doing so well and already so active (just knocked on wood :) ) Lets keep it up, ladies!!

I never rode before - my husband is an avid cyclist so I've been using his road bike on a trainer. I think I might take it up after recovery though, I actually am coming to enjoy it. He's been recommending something called a "Fat tire" bike. LOL I thought that was just a beer but apparently it's a real thing. BTW Karen - the stationary bike at PT is much easier to ride than the real bike on the trainer so you're right to be cautious on taking it out on the streets but I bet you'll be ready soon!!
 
@TexasTee , @Maggie94 ,
So glad to have both of you for support.
I hope we are inspiring others!
I've seen those fat tire bikes. Looks like something you'd ride on the beach.
I won't rush to take the cruiser out. I think the hardest part will be getting on and off!
Happy anniversary Tee. Did you find a dress?
 
Hmmm, you could be right about getting on and off - I was about to write that it wasn't too difficult when I realized if you were going to ride it, it would NOT be on a very stable stationary trainer. Yes, I could see how that might be a problem!

My husband and I went to target earlier today and they have a version of a fat tire bike, lol, it was not what I was expecting...at all. It came up as we live in a very hilly part of Austin so not much flat space to speak of so I was thinking I might get an electric bike so that I could ride it but if it got to be too much or I didn't have the stamina for a hill I could use the electric assist. He swears this Fat tire option would be the same but I can't quite figure out how!

Thanks - have not found a dress yet but my anniversary is not until next Saturday so I've got a bit of time - will brave some other stores later in the week and try again.
 
@TexasTee
The fat tire bikes look like they would be slow, but probably more stable on uneven ground.
The electric sounds like a good option for hills. None of them here, so it's all pedal power for me!
 
I love the Fat Tire bikes! I'm not much of a cyclist, but sort of have a hankering for one of these really cute bikes: broken link removed: https://www.villycustoms.com/product-category/womens/beach-cruiser-bike-empress/

It is supposed to be one of the best exercises for knees, and there are so many better trails and ways to ride now.

@maggie, you are having the best recovery of anyone I've ever met with a bilateral! The steps are great--I'm still swinging my leg out to the side to step up on the stairs, and I'm trying to imagine how it would work with two. Is one stronger than the other?
 
@Awriterafoot - that bike is adorable! And agreed, it's terrific exercise for the knees- even though I had no serious interest in cycling before I know that to keep my knee in tip top condition I'm going to need to keep my quads up and between yoga/walking and cycling I think I'd be all set.
 
Back
Top Bottom