TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

I'm at the point where not too much is happening now. I do spend alot of time reading the forums and pay it forward when I can. It still amazes me how different every recovery is.
OK, here's a question: Is anyone taking gabapentin?
It's for nerve pain. My doctor prescribed it for 20 days after surgery. My rx ran out a few days ago and I notice an increase in pain.
I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I an get a refill. It made a big difference.
 
@MotownGirl66 , Seamus never feels bad about anything. LOL!
@TexasTee , I got on my exercise bike today and was just rocking the pedals for awhile, and then I was able to make a full rotation going backwards. It didn't hurt, so I did about 15 revolutions, then I was able to get around going forward. The highlight of my week!:upright:
 
One Month Post-Op February 17, 2015
I just re-read my early posts and got a good laugh out of this one:
Hi al,
Well, I made it to tth otheer side. Surgery went well and I'm in my room.
Pain is about a 2-3.
Cant stay awale Will post morre later...
I'd have to say that I am very happy with my recovery so far. My hospital stay was short and sweet (just overnight), I've been sleeping well (8-9 hours a night), transitioned from walker to cane in about 4 days, was able to stand in the shower on day 3 , have sat in restrurants without problems, now I usually walk around the house without the cane, drive myself to PT, grocery, pharmacy, doctor appts.
For the past month, I've been dying to take a whirlpool bath, but remember @MotownGirl66 having a problem getting out of the tub when she did it, and since I live alone, that would have been a problem if it happened to me.
So I did a "dry run" first and was able to get in and out ok.
After PT yesterday, I decided to give it a try and it was so relaxing!. I added epsom salt and lavendar oil and let the jets massage my knee for almost an hour. This morning, I noticed a reduction in swelling and for the first time, the new knee looked the same size as the other knee.
There have been some bumps in the road:
There were some problems getting my meds refilled, Danny, the overzealous PT, and a couple of ODIC incidents.
I am still taking 10/325 mg oxycodone every 4 hours. I'm going to try stretching out the dose by 30 minutes at a time and see how that goes.
I am still plagued with constipation despite taking just about every remedy including Miralax, Milk of Mag, senna tea, stool softeners, prunes, benefiber....
Boredom has set in....There are plenty of little projects to do around the house, like organizing the closets, filing/shredding paperwork.
I was going to start today, but woke up in a funk and didn't feel like doing anything.
For any of you out there who are contemplating this surgery or waiting in the wings, know that if a 60 (now 61) year old overweight couch potato can do this, so can you!
I give all the credit to my skilled surgeon. Maybe the custom implant played a part and I did diligently work on strengthening my quads prior to surgery. Also, my recovery buddies, @TexasTee , @Maggie94 and @Awriterafoot are also having great recoveries!
Bonesmart has been a great source of information and support.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
What a great report, Karen, and boy do I envy that bath! I asked the PT today how much longer and she said just a little longer….

You really are doing great.
 
Great update Karen....squeeze over I'm coming for a whirlpool session. Best thing you did was sack the pt monster. No wonder you woke up in a funk if you had a choice of cleaning cupboards or filing/shredding.....don't program these tasks cause there is always tomorrow. Grab a book or movie and chill. Take care Maggie x
 
That bath sounds AWESOME! I have a steam shower that I'm waiting to use but a hot tub sounds much better - congrats!

RE Pain meds - it's a trade off - I'm pushing them down and having some brief instances of +5 pain - I hesitate to up them again - not because I'm nervous of the meds but these things are REALLY messing with my guts. Kind of a catch-22. Grrr...we'll get there, one way or another!
 
@Maggie94
You're right Maggie. Today I feel much better and might take on a little project. I just want to take advantage of this time off work to get some tedious tasks done....
Have a great day. Count down to Homecoming is on!
Karen
 
Too funny - on my list for the week is to organize my pantry...I'm one of those sick souls who love to organize though so I'm actually looking forward to it!
 
Karen, what an awesome update. It's updates like this that inspire me that my surgery will be just fine. Had my joint class today and got to see the for the ward and the PT room and this helped relax a lot of my fears. Just a little over two weeks before I join you on the other side I can't wait!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I managed backward revolutions on the bike! Too funny the things we find to get excited about :-) Hope you are having a great day!
 
@TexasTee
Congrats! You'll be going forwards before you know it.
@Blendab1
You're going to do great. Glad you're getting excited. How's the snow situation? I know you've been battered all winter. Spring is right around the corner!
 
Thanks Karen, as long as the surgeon does what he does best, I will do awesome!! The snow is still snowing and now we are dealing with leaky ceilings and the biggest icicles I have ever seen in my life, one fell earlier and all the dogs and myself jumped. I seriously can't wait for my daughter and son-in-law to get back and can deal with all this. I am calling uncle. :)
 
Oh my goodness! I did something and I LOST everything I was writing to you. I am glad you are feeling better. Is the soaking tub the greatest thing in the whole world? I so miss ours. :(
 
Hi Karen - anything fun planned for the weekend?
 
Not a thing! I'm getting very bored. Have plenty of house cleaning and laundry to do.
It's in the 70's today, so I'll get out for my walk as soon as the knee warms up.
How 'bout you? Should be lots of fun things to do in Austin!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom