TKR Karen's Journey with ConforMIS iTotal January 20, 2015

Post-Op Day 23 February 12, 2015
Can't believe it's been 23 days already!
I had my second PT session today. Started out on the bike, just rocking back and forth with the pedals.
I think I probably could have done a full rotation going backwards, but came to my senses before doing something stupid.
Then, she did some massage and stretching and continued on with quad sets, heel slides, etc.
She kept asking me if I was ok and was very careful not to push it too far (yeah Becky)!
Finished with ice and stim.
Then, the director came over and spoke with me to be sure I was ok with how things are going.
They are still obsessed with ROM and I measured 105/2 today.
I think I'll be alright here....
Karen
 
Post-Op Day 23 February 12, 2015
Can't believe it's been 23 days already!
I had my second PT session today. Started out on the bike, just rocking back and forth with the pedals.
I think I probably could have done a full rotation going backwards, but came to my senses before doing something stupid.
Then, she did some massage and stretching and continued on with quad sets, heel slides, etc.
She kept asking me if I was ok and was very careful not to push it too far (yeah Becky)!
Finished with ice and stim.
Then, the director came over and spoke with me to be sure I was ok with how things are going.
They are still obsessed with ROM and I measured 105/2 today.
I think I'll be alright here....
Karen
Karen,
It sounds as if you are doing well. One thing I was asked at my first PT session after surgery was to kneel down. Of course I refused and said my surgeon said this could be a bad thing to do. I have since changed PT facilities and wonder what they were thinking. I suggest you only do what you know to be safe. Not all PTs graduated at the top of the class and you need to be aware of your limitations. I can only imagine what would have happened had I done what was asked.
Good luck...!
 
You are really doing well!!! I'm so proud of you for paying attention to how your body is recovering and not putting up with therapy that was setting you back. You are so on track with this recovery!!! Keep up the good work and maybe those therapists will learn something from you.
 
@Gettinemdone ,
Wow! Asking you to kneel after BTKR!?!? That's crazy stuff! I wonder how many people didn't have the sense to say no.
 
Hi Karen - doing well! Still no notable change in ROM despite being diligent about my exercises, guess I'll find out what my PT really is like when I go in today. I think he'll be ok actually but will be nice to have that confirmed. My knee is not interested in heel slides - there has to be some other exercise I can try? It's so annoying to keep doing the same thing with no visible change. Oh well, if that's my biggest problem, clearly - I don't have much of an issue. Just need more patience.

Do you have anything fun planned for the weekend? I'm meeting up with some girlfriends for Brunch on Sunday - my first big girl outing!
 
@TexasTee
I hate heel slides!! Have you tried rocking the pedals on the bike?
Going to meet up with some work friends tomorrow. Will be good to get out!
Have a great day!
Karen
 
I asked him about the bike last week and he said I needed more ROM to try - I got on my husbands trainer to try at home but he nearly passed out just watching me get up there so I haven't really yet but I think that would be much better for me, I respond better to active things. Heel slides suck :-)

Have fun tomorrow!
 
,I hate heel slides too. I much prefer the skateboard. Sit in a chair, foot on skateboard and roll it back n forth. I have this set up at home for when I get there. I like @TexasTee s idea of flex in in the shower...will try that today. Keep on the up and up, Maggie x
 
I always found heel slides while lying in bed were very hard to do. I much preferred sitting in a chair and seeing how far back I could bend my knee - that's still a form of heel slides. Doing it with a skateboard, as Maggie suggested, is great. If you don't have a skateboard, you can put a sheet of paper under your foot. Even that helps it to slide more easily.

To be honest, I did most of my attempts at bending while I was sitting on the " throne". Our bathroom floor has tiles and I would measure my degree of bending by seeing if I could move my foot back behind a certain line of the tiles, then aim for the next line. Now, at almost 5 months out, I still practice bending my knee back, but I do it while sitting at the computer. I tuck my foot back under the chair and see if I can get it further back each time.
 
All you ladies sound like you are doing fantastic! Keep up the good work! I like the skateboard idea, but have used the sheet of paper trick myself before, too.
 
It takes close to 125ROM to kneel and get up....what where they thinking...I knelt down this week more by reflex and while it did not hurt I am not anxious to do it again for awhile and I am 12 weeks out today.....
 
I used one of those large round furniture sliders and also like sitting in a chair and pushing it back too..
 
Nothing much to report tonight. Guess it's time to switch to weekly updates unless there is some "breaking news". LOL
Oh, ok.. My 80 lb lab stepped on my knee this morning while I was in bed.....It only hurt a little while......
 
Glad you were ok - kind of good to have it out of the way and know you'll survive it...I'll keep hoping to skip that part - Chloe weighs 175 so her stepping on any part of me is pretty much a PLEASE, NO! She does like to sit on my lap though, she is positive shes a lap dog :heehee:

I hear you on the daily reports - one day is so much like the next that is really seems pointless but I've so little else to do I keep up with it anyway!
 
I know, Karen, it's all just healing, healing. But it's good to be among people sharing the journey.
 
Back
Top Bottom