Bilateral TKR JustJeff 4/9/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be one year out from my surgery on June 4th, my numbness on the outside of each knee seems to get less and less each month as they go by. It use to bother me when I touched them, I guess I am use to it now. I look forward to 5 years ahead and maybe having no numbness.? But, if it is always numb that is fine as I can take that over pain any day!:)
 
@JustJeff Are you going to shave the other leg too so you at least look "balanced"? :shrug:

I, too, have the numbness on the outside of my knee and yes, @dogwheels, I have had itches in that area and no way to get relief. :)
 
Yep. Shaved both, but I didn't do a good job, stubble still hits the nerves.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Justjeff, I keep thinking that I can feel my hair in my legs growing and bugging me! And I am a girl!

PT was all about developing my quads...10 minutes on the NuStep, followed by squats, and step ups and side step ups with 4# ankle weights. I sweat and it felt good! We will see how I feel about it tomorrow...


4/1/2014 TKR
 
@Tamsmom I had scheduled to go to the gym today but after walking an hour during a client appointment, doing errands and mowing the lawn, I feel that I've done enough for one day (and luckily my knees agreed. )

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Yeah, it is 130 am...up and out of bed sore, darn it!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
JEFF: look, knees. I've been really good. I've lost weight for you. Strengthened you, iced, elevated, etc. Do you think for once I can sleep like a real person, instead of sleeping like a question mark, just to climb in a flat bed, throw a cover on and straighten out, for a change?
KNEES: Jeff, I still don't think.... ...ah.. what the heck. . OK, give it a shot.
JEFF: Yay!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I slept worse last night but it was a big step back to sleeping normally! I think in time, this will be a game changer! So I'll try again tonight.
Between carrying for my new knees and ask their needs and wearing a CPAP for my apnea, it's always difficult to fall asleep.

But, perhaps I won't need the CPAP device for much longer as when I weighed myself this morning I was 245. My pre-op weight was 268! The first 18 pounds were easy. My knees were taking up a Lot of my energy demands and I didn't have an appetite to boot.
The rest was much harder, eating less but eating much better since being (I'm going to use the word) sloth like, my glucose readings put me at the edge of type 2 diabetes.

Btw, here's a nice android app if you want to keep track of the elapsed time since your procedures. It's called "Now and Then. " I first used it to track my puppy's age then I switched over to my op date. Here's my current stats:
[Bonesmart.org] JustJeff 4/9/14


Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you were back sleeping normally, even if it was not great!
I have sleep apnea too, wt loss doesn't always lead to eleminating the need for CPAP.
Try the Apnea Board if you have questions, you can also down load Sleepyhead, and track your AHI, if you have a data capable machine.
Hope you can quit CPAP, that would be great.
 
I have an older model that tracked via a credit card but that would have been neat.

My wife said when I lost a bunch of weight in the past my snoring went away. But that was long ago.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
When you get a new one be sure it is fully data capable, you can track snoring too. There are still a lot of bricks out there that only monitor compliance.
I will be interested if you are able to dump CPAP, that would be great.
I like it, my AHI was off the chart the day I had surgery, been normal ever since. Lets me keep the MD informed if something changes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to look into it. I wonder if insurance will cover an upgrade?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
If you have had your machine for 5 years they should replace it. I can give you a list of data capable machines if you like, ask the MD to ask for a specific machine and the DME has to give you that machine. Otherwise they will give you a cheaper brick.
 
Dear @JustJeff and @pumpkin -
Thanks for the sleep apnea discussion. Another one of the spin offs of my BTKR is that I was referred for a sleep apnea study, which is scheduled for August 21. If I am diagnosed to have it, I may be touching bases with you again for more advice and info. Thanks for mentioning the Apnea Board, @pumpkin !
 
Speaking of that, I just called my respiratory clinic. The person there is going to call my doctor to see if he wants just a meeting, a new sleep study or just prescribe a new machine! Thanks, @Pumpkln!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I just came back from my first fitness center visit at the same rehab gym where I just finished PT. It's more fun when I can take my time and use a bunch of machines. I went thinking that maybe I had more pain in the right side of the knee than exercising would be good for but it was fine.
@Josephine What are the muscles on the inside of the knees that have slight pain when climbing steps and the like?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I'm joining the local gym also next week.I have 2 more weeks of PT but want to overlap by a week. I wish they were tied to one another. But they do have some great machines.
 
I forget who was talking about itching incisions and scratching doing no good, but I beat it with an oft used technique that I, and probably many others, developed independently. I call it the hot water treatment.
Spray a stream of hot water, not enough to scald but hotter than your normal shower temp directly on the itchy area. It will feel like the itching increased for a second and then it will feel like a wonderful scratching feeling in the next. In the 4th second or so it will feel like nirvana! The heart will remove the histamines from the area for a full 8 hours before the body can produce more and will result in instant itch relief for that amount of time.
To get the feel of it, start with hot water you can feel good with and while aiming it on the itchy area, slowly increase the heart until you feel the effect. If at any time you start to feel pain, lower the temperature to a happy level. Pain is not part of this procedure.
Please don't use this technique on your eyes! But I've used it on most parts of my body at various times with nothing but success bordering on and entering ecstacy!
Tonight was the first time my incisions started to itch. So I jumped at the chance to try it out on them.
It Worked like magic!
Try this once and you'll never touch hydrocortisone ointments again!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom