Planning to leave a monthly update in a few days (16 months!! Whaaaat?) but in a bit of a rough patch at the moment. Daylight savings time change threw my usually well-managed bipolar disorder off the rails and I struggled with some nasty depression for a few weeks. Then my husband and I both got Covid (yuck!) Our first time, so congrats to us haha.
Right around the same time my favorite nephew, who is hypermobile like me, dislocated his knee. He was doing a training exercise on his Navy ship that involved grappling. Kind of like wrestling. Anyway, the much larger guy he was matched with fell hard onto my nephew’s knee from the outside and it dislocated. The ship’s medic had a lot of trouble getting it back in and my (big, grownup) little guy was in so much pain! They finally got it back in and then put it in a brace. They didn’t have him ice or elevate or any other kind of care, not even NSAIDs, just had him walking around in a brace and trying to do normal things. Meanwhile, his knee was incredibly swollen and painful. He didn’t want to say anything because he’s supposed to be a tough soldier and not complain.
Fortunately, they got back to the mainland, because shortly after, he began to have chest pains, shortness of breath, etc. He thought he was having a heart attack. Long story short, he has a pulmonary embolism!

He has been in the hospital for a few days now. He seems to be through the worst of it, but we have all been so worried for him!
AND his poor knee is still a swollen painful mess and they still haven’t done anything for it. My sister flew down there, and she has been pushing for them to do an MRI but so far, nothing. They got cranky about being asked to bring him ice. I just feel so bad for him! I know what it’s like to have an extremely painful knee and have everyone around you minimizing it. Add that to having a life threatening blood clot in your lung…I can’t even imagine!
Anyway. Apologies. I know this doesn’t relate to my knee. I went to leave an update but just can’t seem to think about anything else right now. Please send positive thoughts, prayers, good vibes, etc his way if you think of it.
