Guest viewing is limited

PKR JusticeRider’s rehab adventure

So wonderful to hear from you!!!

I hope you're able to get some good massage work to help relax and open your hip to assist the stretching.
 
Yes, I’m a big believer in massage! It was a huge help with my knee. My PT does manual release, which is helpful. But it is not the same. I haven’t had a massage since my massage therapist moved away in the spring. She was so good, I am so sad she’s gone! It might be time to search for another…
 
@sistersinhim , thank you! I think it will just take time, giving my hip what it should have gotten before, and retraining it. But the good news is, it is rarely painful. It just doesn’t know how (and doesn’t particularly want to) move in certain ways. And other muscles have compensated and taken over for it, so those must be retrained too. But it’s more tightness than pain. And only when I try to externally or internally rotate during abduction. So it only bothers me when I ride, and even then it doesn’t really hurt. But I do need it to move the way it’s supposed to for my riding. It will get there, I know it! (:
 
So glad to hear from you that all's well.
You are doing amazingly with all your hiking and riding. I know what you mean about your hip/ other knee and not wanting further surgery if possible. This is a tough journey for many of us and not one to be undertaken lightly.
 
It's so nice to read your positive update and feel your enthusiasm and grateful attitude.
You have big plans and your future looks bright. We're thankful you joined us here and for the support you offered to others. Hope to see you on the forum as time allows. Best Wishes, JR!
@JusticeRider
 
@MSuki , thank you! I have been following your journey, and you have a fantastic attitude and calm determination that is sure to help you through this long process of recovery. You’re doing so well!

@EalingGran , my fellow PKR of a rarer kind (: It’s been great to watch your journey too, and your support and encouragement have been priceless. I’m so impressed by your steady and sensible recovery. You’re an inspiration!

@Layla , though we’ve never met, your kindness shines through in your words. Your gentle support of all who pass through BoneSmart is a healing balm to those who struggle. Thank you for what you do.
 
A heartfelt thank you for your very kind words, JusticeRider.
May your year be full of blessings!
@JusticeRider
 
Hey BoneSmart friends! It’s been a while! I hope healing is going well for all who are in the midst of their journey. ❤️

I’m here just past a year and 9 months. My knee has been so good. :happydance:Honestly, it still hasn’t stopped improving. I’ve been hiking and riding all winter and my knee has been extremely functional and strong! The ROM just keeps inching along, even in the last several months. It’s not as far as the other knee, but really close and I don’t even notice it. I really couldn’t be happier with the outcome! :wow:

My operated hip is still tighter than the other, though it has improved incrementally (sooo slowly!) as time goes by. It’s really only noticeable when I’m riding.

Unfortunately I am having trouble with my foot right now. Podiatrist thinks it is likely tendonitis (though possibly a stress fracture- yikes!) and I am in a walking boot for 3 weeks. Of course it’s the same side as my operated knee and hip :groan:

This is not the first time I’ve had foot issues, actually in both feet. In the past 15 years or so I’ve had contusions, strains, and a stress fracture. But I gotta tell you, it’s really annoying right now to be having to do the RICE thing again :hairpulling: With the hip and knee surgeries, I have spent WAY too much time sitting around icing in the last few years. Ugh! Also, I was really enjoying my new knee before this :sigh:

I saw a new podiatrist this time because mine was booked out a few weeks. This guy was very familiar with hypermobility and Ehlers Danlos. He said my feet are extremely hypermobile and pushed me to get an Ehlers Danlos diagnosis and not just HSD. He said, unfortunately, the way my body is, this kind of thing is probably going to keep happening :sorry:I guess I kind of knew that but didn’t realize it would get worse the older I get.

But, we have treatment plan and with time and patience, I should be better again and back to enjoying my fixed up bod! :dancy: Gonna get back to pedaling that stationary bike again a couple times a day so I can hopefully maintain my conditioning. I survived a harrowing PKR recovery…a sore foot won’t beat me!! I will bounce back! :thumb:

Sending good vibes to all here, especially those of you with extra physical challenges. You’re in the right place!
 
So sorry to hear about your foot problem. When your feet hurt, you hurt all over! At least your knee and hip are doing great! That is wonderful news.
 
Hi JusticeRider,
It's wonderful to read all of the good news in your update, but so sorry you're having an issue with your foot. Thankfully you have a treatment plan in place. I hope it brings speedy relief so you're able to enjoy the Summer.
@JusticeRider
 
Thanks all for the encouraging words ❤️ Trying to remember: this is an annoyance, but temporary.
It is good to see you all again!

@shr you are so right…if it ain’t one thing it’s another :gaah:So sorry to hear about the hernia and cataracts. No fun! Will you need surgery? I hope not. But if so, I know you will do great, just like you did with your knee!
 
Great review. Glad your knee and hip are doing well but so sorry about your foot.
It really is one thing after another as we get a bit older........
Good to hear from you again. I had been wondering how you were doing. So pleased the knee is holding up well and still improving. Reminds me I am overdue doing an 18 month update.
 
Hope you’ve been recovering well from your hernia surgery @shr ! As for me, today is the official 2 year anniversary of my patellofemoral PKR. I’m still somewhat out of commission with my fractured foot, but my knee is doing great! I’ve lost a little muscle in that quad having to baby my foot (same leg). That’s hard because I worked so hard to build that strength back after multiple surgeries. But my flexibility is really good and the knee feels solid. It really is the better knee in most ways now. I wish I could be out using it to its full potential, but I am trying to be patient and just accept the present circumstances. I am so very grateful for a successful knee surgery and a functional, pain free knee! Hope all PKR’s and TKR’s out there are healing well!
 
As for me, today is the official 2 year anniversary of my patellofemoral PKR. I’m still somewhat out of commission with my fractured foot, but my knee is doing great!
That's amazing that it's two years already.
So good to hear from you again- I had been wondering how you were doing.
Sorry that the foot is holding you back but glad the knee is doing well and feels solid.
So it did turn out to be a stress fracture rather than just a tendon issue?
Reminds me I will have to do a two year update in a couple of months....
Sending good vibes and hope the foot heals soon and you are able to rehab the quads and get stronger.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom