Guest viewing is limited

PKR JusticeRider’s rehab adventure

Riding sounds so fun, but I feel really far away from being able to get on a horse. Not even sure I am ready to get on a bicycle. I am curious about what you are doing for hips. When I first saw the orthopedist about 5 years ago, my knees were already bone on bone but he told me I did not have arthritis in my hips. Now they are a mess along with my glutes due to inactivity (I hope!). Are there some stretches or exercises that you have found really helpful to loosen your hips?
 
Are there some stretches or exercises that you have found really helpful to loosen your hips?
When my hips were really bad ( before my PKR straightened my leg) I used to be really stiff first thing in the mornings.
This was an exercise I was taught by a physio that I did in bed before getting up to loosen/ oil my hips.
Lying on your back - try to write the numbers 1-9 slowly in the air with each leg. Try to keep the leg reasonably straight so the movement is mainly in the hip joint.
The other exercise for oiling the hip joints is lying on your back with your hands on the bent knees and gently rotating the knees around- first one direction and then the other way.
 
Words can’t even describe our bond. We have been together for 27 years and have experienced so much together…growing up with each other, learning together, moving states, moving homes, competing in 100 mile endurance rides as a team and overcoming so many crazy challenges and adventures together. Aging together. He’s been with me longer than my husband of 23 years! I trust him with my life and he does the same.
This brought tears to my eyes. It describes how much our pets mean to us and help us through these healing days. Justice is gorgeous!
 
Are there some stretches or exercises that you have found really helpful to loosen your hips?
@MSuki, in addition to the really great suggestions from @EalingGran, here are some I use:

For hip extension, nothing beats the ‘baby cobra’ stretch: lying on your tummy on the floor or bed, legs straight out behind you, push up onto your elbows and hold.

For flexion, lie on your back both legs aligned straight out, loop a strap around your foot and, keeping leg straight, raise leg up and use strap to gently pull back toward your head to increase flexion.

For abduction, same as for flexion, but holding strap, let straight lifted leg fall out to the side and hold, keeping tension on strap.

Another for abduction with external rotation, lie down on side and slowly kick upper leg up and back diagonally (scissor kick) with toe turned slightly out. Repeat.

Best overall quad/hip/knee stretch EVER:
Lie on your back on the edge of a bench and let the affected leg hang off and foot touch the ground (surface needs to be low enough for foot to reach the ground). Relax the hip, set the foot flat on the ground. Opposite knee can be bent with that foot flat on the bench. A little at a time, slide the heel of the foot on the ground back (toward your head) to feel a gentle stretch. Hold as long as you want.

I have lots more, haha! But I think those are probably the simplest and most effective that I use. Hope that might be helpful to you!

Administrative Note: While we encourage members to share exercise/activities that have worked for them, we urge members to be cautious when trying any new exercises not prescribed by your surgeon or physical therapist - especially if you are in the early weeks of your recovery. In general, when trying new exercises, only add one at a time and build up the sets and reps gradually. Don't push through pain and be careful not to overdo. Listen to your body. If you have increased pain the following day, your body is telling you it is not ready for the movement. Wait a few days before trying again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@JusticeRider I love the picture of your horse.. forgive me if I have forgotten some details, is he a Quarter Horse?
He has such a sweet face and smaller muzzle that makes me think he is.
IMO horses are just large dogs. :roseshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Adding to the exercise suggestions, please keep in mind that you only need to apply very little pressure when using the straps. In my experience and training, straps can be tricky when you don't have a PT or other trained personnel watching and guiding you.
If you want to use the straps, do so gently and then hold for a short amount of time.. I personally started these by holding 3-5 seconds to start.
Good exercise suggestions @JusticeRider .
 
Totally agree with the emphasis on GENTLE with any strap work. Especially if you have a recent surgery, injury, etc. Thank you, moderators for clarifying that! Also, always listen to your body. For example, I never used a strap on my knee because it did not like it. Even with ones I use for my hip it’s more of a support in those stretches.
 
That sounds like how I use a strap when lying on my back and stretching hip (with leg straight up in the air). The strap gives me control and allows musckes to relax. I haven’t found a better way to stretch my hip that doesn’t hurt my knee. At first, I used a cane flipped upside down for even better control.
 
@CricketHip , Justice is an Arabian/American Saddlbred. Not sure if I ever did mention that in my thread. His mother the Arabian came to me when I was just 9 years old. His father was an AS stallion I trained and showed for his breeder when I was 17. My payment for my training and showing work was a breeding to my mare, and that is how Justice came into my life. He used to lay his head in my lap when he was a foal. Now I lay my head against his neck when I need strength. So he really is a part of me. Ok, now I’m crying!!

Anyway, having him and our other animals inspires me to fully rehab and regain my strength and flexibility. If it didn’t mean so much to me to ride Justice, I’d have no reason to challenge myself the way I do. What else would motivate me to reach my foot up to a tiny platform higher than my waist and use all the strength in my body to catapult myself higher than my head?? :heehee:
 
Well, there’s no shame in using a mounting block..
It tends to be easier on the horse too.
My first horse- he would press his head flat against my chest when I cried. So comforting.
Justice is a very special friend! Thank you for sharing. ❤️
 
*Long Post Alert*

Well, just over one year and 5 months post PKR! Things are going really well with my knee. I am very satisfied with the surgery and couldn’t be happier that I had it. This knee is stronger and more pain free than it has been for the last 25 years. I had so much PT over all those years and every therapist would eventually give up on my knee and admit that there was nothing more they could do to help me. To have a PT say to me for the first time, ‘your knee has graduated! It’s doing great!’ was a strangely emotional moment for me. I almost cried tears of joy.

I am hiking and riding regularly and looking forward to reviving my large garden in the spring. This will be the first full season since 2019 I will be able to do that! I’m ready to get back to snowshoeing this winter, if we ever get enough snow! I can almost mount my horse from the ground now. I can put my foot in the stirrup but can’t quite make the launch. I have realized that is in large part due to a lack of strength in my hip at full flexion.

Speaking of the hip, re rehabbing my hip is the focus now. The impingement was repaired in 2021, and that part feels just fine. The joint itself is sound. It just didn’t get to do any of the normal things, use its ROM, or even walk normally as it was healing from its surgery because my poor knee was so bad. So I have a lot of tightness to work through, especially with abduction and rotation. Flexion and extension are great. I think if I wasn’t an equestrian, I wouldn’t even realize the asymmetry in my hips’ motion and the limitations of the operated hip.But it greatly affects my riding.

My unoperated knee is limited in many ways too, though it’s been the better knee for 25+ years. It will get what feels a lot like bone on bone pain if I squat too low or step off a large step the wrong way. I have to accommodate it on the trail going down boulders, drops, root ledges, downed trees, etc. It doesn’t like to flex too far while weight bearing. But none of that is new. It is functional enough, and I appreciate it very much. I accept that it will most likely need its own surgery someday, but I sure hope to hold off for as long as possible. It doesn’t hurt in most situations, and I have learned how to accommodate my knees so well over the years that I almost don’t think about it. So crossing fingers for NO surgeries for a good long while!

All that said, I probably won’t be posting regular monthly updates after this because the progress my knee is making now is less perceptible: still gradually gaining more strength as time goes by; continuing to gain flexion incrementally; getting used to being the ‘good’ knee. I am more focused on my hip now and just so satisfied with my wonderful PKR knee. I hope my challenges and eventual positive outcome can be an encouragement to others who experience a difficult recovery.

BoneSmart was the best thing that could have happened to me in that difficult time, so I am incredibly grateful to the staff and every single fellow healer who encouraged, informed, and supported me here. Every journey that was shared was so valuable.

So, happy healing to all you fresh knees out there! And for those who are scared, struggling, hurting, depressed, frustrated, or uncertain: I wish you peace, fortitude, and comfort. I am cheering you on, here on the other side! :wave:
 
Moderators, if this double posts, can you please delete the second one? I couldn’t figure out how to do it. Thanks!!
 
Back
Top Bottom