TKR Just found you. Need some direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Maryo52. Hey! We are neighbors! We just finished another inch of snow! Worst winter in ages. I will never get my left knee done during the winter wait for spring! That is very encouraging that you made more progress without PT. I am unable to lift more than 15 lbs so all the leg press machines are out. The only equipment I was using was the bicycle and now I have my own! No more going out in the cold to do PT. I was worried when she said we have to make up for lost time and "are you Serious!" It's her way or the highway! So, I took the highway.

Thanks for your support, I have read your thread. WTG!
 
Saltyal! Hello! I am feeling enthused just reading your story. Thank you for your kind encouragement and support. I still am having trouble sleeping through the night,waking 2-3 times with knee pain. I have been resting, icing and elevating. I take my pain pill, Advil and Tylenol at bedtime but still wake up. I guess my knee is still angry from PT.

Today I made a car trip into Manhattan to see my specialist for Pulmonary Hypertension. It takes about 45 mins. To drive in, at my upper limits for drive time so I brought a zip lock bag and a plastic grocery bag with me to ice with. Almost 2 hours later filled bag with ice from the cafe in the building and iced knee on the way back. Fired up the polar ice machine when I got home and now am comfortable. Will skip anything else till the morrow. I love my exercise bicycle that arrived last Wednesday. Still have the seat all the way up and it is taking several rotations to loosen up the knee.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up the big ball as it helps with the gentle flexion. I will have a right heart cath in 6 months to check my pressures and I have to bicycle my legs in the air for this so I am hoping I will be able to do that by then.

I have not notified my OS that I stopped PT. Hoping they will see improvement when I see them March 10th.

So until next time it's ice time! lol lame I know!
 
Great planning, Ms Char!
 
Hello everyone, I just returned home after my OS appt. still at 106 for bend of course it is early in morning and still stiff from driving. He basically said I am doing fine and he would see me in December for my one year anniversary. We discussed my not going PT and he said that was fine keep doing my exercises and recommended sitting in low chair and getting up with no help. When I said she was hurting me he said that's pt's job to push to get results and people have different pain tolerances! Those pts can get away with murder. I asked him about getting more rom and he said more might come. He almost said a window of time for that. At least he wasn't t pushing me to go back to PT.

I can now put my sneaker on while sitting, get in and out of car without moving the seat all the way back. Which I couldn't do before. My knee is swollen now. I would like to go back in December with 130 degrees. I can feel it gradually loosening. When I use the ball I can bend a little more now.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice you have all given me. I know that as it heals it will bend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This afternoon I put the seat down one space it went well, not as tight as when I started on my exerbike at home. I think I will lower it again tomorrow after I warm up.

Al the ball is great. I've used it like you suggested. I am so glad I got it. How is your knee doing?

Has anyone had the experience of feeling cold all the time from pain? I saw my internist about it and I also wanted something longer acting to try to sleep better. At the time I thought it was overkill but, he gave me OxyContin 20 MGM twice a day. Well I took the first one and I was like a different person, I felt like doing things around the apartment again and I've stopped feeling cold. That was a dreadful feeling. I had the heat up higher than ever. My knee pain relief was dramatic. I feel like I am needing pain killers to long but what a relief! Anyone have similar experience?
 
Another way to simulate raising or lowering the bike seat is by just shifting your foot position on the pedal: with your heel on the pedal and toes pointed down it's like having the seat up, and with the ball of your foot on the pedal with heel your down it's like having the seat further down.... forces more flexion just before the top of the stroke.
As for being cold when feeling pain I haven't experienced that myself but I imagine it has something to do with slowing down your metabolism as part of your pain response... I'm glad the Oxycontin is doing the job for you; sounds like your previous pain management wasn't quite up to it. :)
Re: how my knee's doing.... it's going good! Thanks for asking, I think it's about time for an update on my thread here so will post that tomorrow but it's sleepytime now! :sleep:
Cheers, Al
 
Hello @MS Char I, so glad to have found your post! Yes, when I get extreme pain I go ice cold and shiver and I cannot get warm. It's a bit like the feeling you get with severe flu isn't it? I take morphine and paracetamol (Tylenol). I am just over nine weeks into recovery. I am not driving due to the meds intake plus my knee wouldn't do an emergency stop on my brake. I have tried the movement and the pain rips through my knee. I am recovering from Tendinitis is my knee so I've had to take it easy. When I had my knee done I had two falls In the Hospital and then developed a chest infection, which has returned twice since. I have posted my thread. Just click on the link if you or anyone else would like to have a read of my thread. I always say if nothing else it'll cure insomnia if nothing else (joke) ha ha x x.

This is my thread just click if you want: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/woohoo-im-starting-to-feel-better.22950/page-60#post-582248
 
Nana moon, I am so glad to hear someone else had that problem. I could not figure out what was wrong! Yes it's a horrible feeling, I had the heat up, warm clothes, covered with a throw and still freezing. Now the heat is down and I am warm. I was still taking the hydromorphone 2 MGM but rarely took 2 because I didn't want to overdo it... It is such a relief to feel better. I have gotten to the point of not telling people who call I am doing fine and not discussing pain or bending because they don't get it. My brother just called and said you're fine now right?

I have spent the last few hours reading your thread! I am only on page 14. You've certainly had quiet a journey. I've gotten a few chuckles out of your's and Doglover3 post to each other. It's informative and entertaining. I really related to people not visiting. I have not been able to drive for very long due to pain and so have not been to my regular church for mass. So, last week I got a call from a friend from this church wanting to know when I was coming back because she missed me! In my mind I was thinking well it's been 3 months which she stated so why didn't you call sooner. I just said well it's hard to drive that far yet so I don't know when I'll be back. I did have a group visit me at rehab. But, it's really been an eye opener as to who are really your friends. That has been a little disappointing. The one person who has called went to a movie with me Saturday and we went out to eat afterwards. I still think it's too early to go back yet because it's a longer mass and it's just too long to be out. This friends father had a tkr and said it was the most painful surgery he ever had so she gets it.

I did short drives at six weeks without a problem with braking and I had to get to PT. It just hurts the longer my leg is down. I had that problem from day one, always having to elevate my leg. That has gotten better now and I can drive longer just not ready for longer outings.

I am going to keep reading your posts. Oh I almost forgot to say that my maiden name is Brumley and I ran into someone years ago that spelled it Bromley who said his daughter traced the family back to 1700 and both our families were related and were from England. Some just spelled it differently when coming over and that there were Dukes and Earls in the family. Do you know of anyone by that name? So that makes us fellow Englishwomen.

Until next time. Take care Nanamoon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Saltyal, I found the foot placement was just as you said. I won't move the seat until it comfortable. Glad to see you are doing great. If you have any more hints let me know.

Take care
Charlotte
 
Hi @MS Char

I'm ever so glad you're enjoying the posts I am really. I'm also pleased I was able to reassure you about the shivering. It is ever so disappointing about friends etc but now I know exactly where I stand. I will never allow myself ever again to get so low as I did over it for people who don't deserve my true friendship. Unfortunately I have a very forgiving nature which I can't help. I know jolly well in my heart if one turned up in the doorstep tomorrow I would not turn them away. It's nice you traced your roots back to here in England. Unfortunately I don't know any Bromley's. Anyway enjoy your reading matter love Ann x x x x
 
Hi Nana moon 27. Yes it was reassuring to know there was a reason for the cold feeling. Just didn't realize it was pain causing it. I am with you I also have a forgiving heart, I just know now who my true friends are. It's like that statement "I have alot of acquaintance 's but few friends." Still hurts. But, better to know.

I just hope the pain goes away soon, my knee is bending a little more now. I will be so happy when this is over. I still have my left knee to do. I know that it will be done in warm weather not cold.

I will keep reading your entertaining post!

Until next time!
Charlotte
 
Hi Charlotte, here's another little tip... not about recovery but pretty handy when using this forum: you can "tag" folks here so they get an alert up at the top of the page and they'll know you're directing a bit of chat their way..... just type the @ symbol in front of the exact spelling of their username (with no space after the @) and when you post your reply the "tag" turns blue and underlined e.g. @MS Char or @saltyal ... it's a useful little tool to help us stay connected!
Cheers, Al
 
When I said she was hurting me he said that's pt's job to push to get results and people have different pain tolerances! Those pts can get away with murder.
Seems like they can with that surgeon!
Those pts can get away with murder. I asked him about getting more rom and he said more might come. He almost said a window of time for that.
Well, you know what we think of that here!!
 
@Josephine A , feel a band of tightness from the bottom of my knee cap to the top when I'm flexing. Could I have developed adhesions from my injury. I try to stretch it out but I only get to about 106 since my injury. I was at 120 before that happened. Any thoughts on this?

I was not encouraged when I saw him. It's like he doesn't care if I get more flexion
 
Hi @MS Char I thought I'd drop,by and see how you are doing. I'm struggling worse than ever tonight so I'm going to have a chat with the PT tomorrow. I struggling to get out of a chair to standing position without pain ripping through my knee, let alone trying to move off to walk. I'm ok once I get going. Any way how are you? X x x
 
@Nana moon 27. I checked in on your thread and saw where you tripped over your stool, is this why you are having this pain? I hope it resolves for you and nothing serious happened to your knee. When I started having more pain I spent a lot of time icing and elevating. I measured both my knees and they are both now 14 inches..the swelling is down in my knee! The pain is much better I am starting to wean of the OxyContin only taking it at night. I can now put my sneaker on while sitting, go up and down stairs, kneel and sit without elevating my leg when eat out. I have more bend now, don't know how much but about to lower seat again on my exercise bike. Knee feels more achy now instead of painful like it was. My appetite is better I've only lost another 2 lbs. not complaining about that. I am down 2 sizes since surgery. I feel much better than I di 3 weeks ago.

I will say a prayer your knee is ok. When you injure it, it can take awhile to heal from that episode. Let me know what PT says tomorrow, you will be in my thoughts.
 
Hi @MS Char thank you for your kindness and prayers. You sound as though you are finally on the mend, I sincerely hope that this is the case x. I'm going to dig out the tape measure from my sewing kit tomorrow and measure both my knees. That's a good idea. Thank you x x x.

I will let you know tomorrow after I've been to PT. My appointment is 2.15 pm x

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
@Nana moon 27, @saltyal, @maryo52 Just finished a 10 minutes bike ride, just lowered the seat another space, no difficulty with it. Yesterday had more pain again no change in activity so why, who knows. It has calmed down with rest, ice and elevation. Nana love your picture an your grandson he is a handsome guy, Saltyal how are you, Maryo52 how are you?

I have gotten my days and nights mixed up. Couldn't sleep night before till 6 am spent hours lying in bed reading threads. Just can't remember all I read. Lol! Made myself get up earlier today so I can go to sleep at a decent hour.

Anyway I found threads about nickel allergy and implants! I have a big nickel allergy and marked that on my papers I filled out at first visit to OS. He never mentioned it and I didn't think twice about it. I received a card for my wallet saying I have a Zimmer knee but not what kind. Does Zimmer make a nickel free prosthesis? I can't find an answer and shouldn't the OS have been carefull about that? If you have any input I would like to know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom