Guest viewing is limited

TKR Just found you. Need some direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @MS Char I'm glad you're getting in well with your exercises. Thanks for the compliments, it's very kind of you x x x I think you should tag Josephine in and ask her about nickel allergy x love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
Thanks, I will, I think that is why I couldn't sleep the other night Nana moon.
 
Good going on your bike! ....I figure it's a real step forward when you can lower the seat and still ride comfortably
:egypdance:...... I ride mine every morning with my first cuppa joe and an apple; it's become such a routine that I just don't feel right until I get on there and make some revs.

Yesterday had more pain again no change in activity so why, who knows
I can only speculate but I think it might be the result of just doing a little twist or inadvertent pushing the ROM while doing something ordinary: I've had those days myself but the good news is they get further apart and less intense as time rolls on.... another example of how the "roller-coaster" analogy is so apt for TKR recovery! :tada:
About the Zimmer implants, they're supposedly a cobalt/chromium alloy, but I don't know if there's nickel in there too.
Cheers, Al
 
@Orthodoc ,@Josephine I tagged you because I just realized, see post above, my nickel allergy may have consequences! I really wish I had found this site before my surgery.

No offense Josephine I could never have worked in orthopedics it is not my cup of tea..normally I do research my problems but, I was anxious about the surgery and put my trust in my OS. I am just hoping this will not affect my tkr. Due to my pulmonary hypertension I am not overly active I have to pace myself and not over do it.

The only problem I am having now is still a fair amount of pain. It doesn't hurt when I walk just tenderness at top of tibula straight down my calf for about 5 inches. The tightness across my patella is going away, I have no pain when I bike and just lowered seat to the 3rd space down. The pain is achy, and sharp at times level 7 at worse. I am still icing and elevating.

I was not getting good relief from hydromorphone and my internist was surprised I was still having that much pain still but gave me oxycontin 20mg 12hourly to help. I thought it was overkill but when I took the first one I finally felt normal.

I had been freezing for 2 weeks. Heat up in apt, flannel pj's, wrapped in throw and still freezing.. Until I took the oxycotin. I started taking only the night dose and the pain came back. The OS when I saw him at my last visit said some people have a low pain tolerance. I have always had a high pain tolerance. I don't have any erythema or rash and not as much heat to the touch but everyday pain comes back when I try to cut back. Should I have this much pain at this point at 15 weeks out. The leg is tender to touch at, I hope I have this right, RF 1 D-F and across the bottom of knee.

Thanks for all your help, oh I am riding my exercise bike 10 mins a day, straight leg lifts 30 a day and elastic band with side leg lift 30 each side. The swelling went down but last 2 days had more swelling, it felt tight. I measured 14 inches no tightness, 15 inches when tight. When it was tight I didn't do any exercises.
 
Hi @saltyal don't you love it, I also have the tension at 2. Just a tiny bit more trying to get more strength in the ole gluteus. About a week ago when I was doing flexion I had a break through when I was holding my flex...it just felt like a slight give and got more bend! Kind of like trying to close a stuck window all of a sudden it goes. Will be glad when I get more. I just measured my knee and today it's at 15½ inches up from 14. Feels tight. Just wish I could get off the heavy duty pain pills. I can go longer and I take only a few of the short acting ones except for yesterday.

I like to ride after my shower when I've put the hand held shower head on my knee for awhile. I am doing better with the walking limp is gone.

Take care. Enjoy your walks. Love the water. Still cold here, the snow missed me Tuesday .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to check in on you.....I only got a dusting of snow this week and tomorrow is suppose to be Spring like...I just want to bee bop around in my vehicle with the sunroof open. I want to breathe spring air!

I wish I had a hand held shower head...that sounds great. I can't wait to take a bath......showers are nice and all but I want a LONG soak.
 
@Karringtyn Hello, the snow missed me, I am so ready for warm weather. I don't have a sun roof on this car but I will be out tomorrow in that good weather. It really feels good to have the hot water on the old knee, thinking about getting the heating pad out. Baths are not my thing I love showers.

How are you doing now? Sounds like you are making progress! Congrats!
 
I am doing well thanks! It's definitely a rollercoaster....but Attitude is everything. I am in Upstate NY....forecasted to be in the 50's...I searched and searched to find an SUV that had a sun/moonroof...it was the one thing I had to have......
 
@Karringtyn I had one car with moon roof loved it. I am in northern nj hope the weather stays warm now we have had the worst winter this year. If I ever get the nerve to get my left knee doe it's going to be in the spring no more winter surgeries. New Jersians and New Yorkers have attitude! Glad to hear you are doing better.
 
I think it would be a bit early to start worrying about the pain coming from a nickel allergy (given your description). This can still be related to normal (but slow) post-op course rather than a complication from the metal. How does the knee feel compared to pre-op?

Orthodoc
 
I just measured my knee and today it's at 15½ inches up from 14. Feels tight. It doesn't hurt when I walk just tenderness at top of tibulaThe only problem I am having now is still a fair amount of pain.The pain is achy, and sharp at times level 7 at worse.
Did you mean tibia or fibula? :wink:
"Feeling tight" is pain. And you have pain because you are doing TOO MUCH!
I am riding my exercise bike 10 mins a day, straight leg lifts 30 a day and elastic band with side leg lift 30 each side
30 straight lifts a day? 30 side lifts with an elastic band? What are you thinking?

Seriously, you are 16 weeks out. There is no need for all this now. Your ROM is fine.

Let me give you an activity schedule to do
- Weekdays only - weekends off!
- 10 mins on bike at resistance 2 or 3, once or twice a day as you feel like it
- 20 mins walking twice a day which includes walking to shops, rounds shops and etc.
- using stairs as often as your normally daily activities demand
I was not getting good relief from hydromorphone and my internist was surprised I was still having that much pain still but gave me oxycontin 20mg 12hourly to help. I thought it was overkill but when I took the first one I finally felt normal. but everyday pain comes back when I try to cut back.Should I have this much pain at this point at 15 weeks out
The leg is tender to touch at, I hope I have this right, RF 1 D-F and across the bottom of knee.
Your pain appears to be muscular and the only reason you are still having it is because of all these exercises you are doing. It's just tendinitis. Stop the exercises for a couple of weeks - completely - and then start with what I have suggested. And take your pain meds. If you have pain, take them. If you find it starts settling down, you can switch to Tylenol 1,000mg 3-4 times a day.

[Bonesmart.org] Just found you. Need some direction!
 
@Orthodoc Thank you for your reply. Besides the pain, it fells stable. Before surgery I had very little pain due to moving from apartment with a flight of stairs to apartment with no stairs. I did limp frequently and it felt unstable. It was swollen most of time. Now it feels stable and the limp has gone away. I was worried the pain was a reaction to nickel. I was patch tested many years ago with a strong reaction with red raw skin with itching at site. Have never been able to wear any jewelry unless it's at least 14 carat gold. I can now stand from a low seat with very little help of my arms, the pain is across the area below the knee cap, like a strip going across. It is tender with light palpitation. If i do react to any nickel what should I watch for and how long?
 
@Josephine thanks for your reply. I thought I wasn't doing much but, I guess it was too much. Taking pain meds regularly , feeling better. Still swollen 15½ inches today. Last night slept with it elevated and iced. Will take all your advise. It's just tiring waiting this out. I'm getting all the too long on pain medicine lectures from friends. I'll just not mention it as it's not worth it. I just need more patience for this long journey. I am so glad I found bone smart you have all been a life saver!

It is the fibula! Chalk it up to drugs! It is a strip across beneath the knee cap. I was really worried that I might have to have the prosthesis replaced due to nickel allergy. I still have to have the left knee done and I will make sure it is nickel free. Again, thanks so much for you guidance and support!
 
I thought I wasn't doing much but, I guess it was too much.
That's why I tend to subject members to the Spanish inquisition when I ask them how much they are doing and they reply with one of the following statements: "I'm not doing much", "I don't overdo it" or "just the usual"! :snork:

I'm glad you are feeling better. Keep up the good work.
 
@MS Char, you need to tell your friends that they can comment on your pain medication use after they have had a knee replaced. Those who have not been there, do not know or understand. I would not discuss my use of medication with them.
 
@bottomshollow hi, that's what I thought too. Everyone is worried I'll get hooked even when I said you don't if you are having pain but, it's like they don't listen. So I had already come to that conclusion that it's better if I don't talk about it with them. I never imagined it would take this long to recover and the amount of pain that comes with it. I see you've had both knees and a hip. I'm guessing the hip was not as difficult? That's for your support.

Take care,
Charlotte
 
If i do react to any nickel what should I watch for and how long?


I would not worry too much about this now. We have not established good standards to follow possible allergies to metals in orthopaedic implants. I would rather have you complete your course of healing for a typical knee replacement, and if you were having significant issues after about a year (post-op) then I think it would be reasonable to consider issues with allergies.

Orthdoc
 
@saltyal, @Karringtyn ,@Nana moon 27,@bottomshollow thanks for all your support. Knee is still swollen today down to 15½" from 16. Not swollen is 14 inches. Had a bad night woke 3 times with that intense pain on the right lower edge of knee. I went to a birthday party Sunday and was bombarded with advise, questions and we miss you's. It was fun but, almost like I've lost touch with everyone not seeing them every week.

Friday when I rode the bike I had a little trouble going around, had to shift foot more leverage like Saltyal suggested. Tired today and have been dozing off and on, of course with leg elevated and iced! We need to do a acronym for this like IE.

That's all for now.
Take care,
Charlotte
 
I went to a birthday party Sunday and was bombarded with advise, questions and we miss you's. It was fun but, almost like I've lost touch with everyone not seeing them every week.

I think that's one of the oft-forgotten downsides of this journey that we call TKR recovery: for many of us it becomes a long and lonely ordeal that most of our erstwhile friends just can't relate to... and that loss of social contact takes an emotional toll that exacerbates any medical problems or post-op complications we might be having.... But I guess it's just another of those things that we have to learn about as we go.... like that trite old saying that goes "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger".... So good on you for getting out there and socializing through your pain!... and kudos for doing your exercycle routine the easy way; I really believe in the "if it doesn't hurt, do it" method :SUNsmile:
Cheers, Al
 
@saltyal, yes it is lonely at times. My sister lives north of Atlanta and calls me when she gets off work. A relative of her husband had a tkr last year and the dr forgot to write for PT so when she went for her 6 week check-up he asked how PT was? Well she is one of those amazing recoveries and didn't complain of pain and went back to work right away. So today she called and while we were on the phone I ad a series of stabbing pain that made me go aw, aw, aw she said this lady never had these problems what is wrong with you? I said everyone is different I guess I'm just not one of those amazing recoveries! She got off the phone saying you need to take something for pain! It seems like since the end of January I have been having more pain. I had called my internist for pain refills and asked if he could order a MRI to see what was wrong. Later I realized they called twice but I had the ringer off my cell phone and they didn't leave a message! Oh well, I guess I will find out what that was about tomorrow!

I guess I'll just be super strong when this finally heals up!
Take care,
Charlotte
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom