TKR Just found you. Need some direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Josephine, I can't believe I had the back. The pain is at C-E LF3. Actually today my knee hurt all over and worse than it has in a long time. After I got back home I started ice,elevation and rest. So, I was thinking of waiting until after next week or when pain is gone to go back to PT. While I am home how much exercise should I do and especially with exercise bicycle? I read your post-op post and it's amazing you did so little. I'll have to shift my thinking around. I also am a nurse but have not worked since 2008 due to the pulmonary hypertension.

You have an amazing website with a great source of information which I had read through before I posted. It has been a relief to have somewhere to go for help and encouragement. My 37 years of nursing was varied. Iv theraphy, home iv theraphy, cardiology, er, surgical. I have always not liked orthopedics!

This is a very laborious undertaking you have here and I am very glad it is here. Thanks.
 
Thanks daughter staker may use it later. Too many aren't good for me.
 
Maryo 52 I think I will take some time off PT until my knee is better. Thank you for your encouragement. You have much to read to educate yourself with on this site, I am so glad I found it. I was already thinking about the possibility of stopping PT but was worried things would get worse but, they did with the PT. I think they are trained this way and don't really think about what they are doing. I am elevating now and just resting my knee.
It already feels better since I've added that to the icing.

Again that you for your kind words of advise and encouragement .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
PT. I think they are trained this way and don't really think about what they are doing.
We have several great PTs on this site, @Pumpkln , for one, and they are helpful and go out of their way to provide guidance to those that ask. For instance, the post op exercises in the library forum were for a large part, contributed by PTs on this site.

As a consumer, it is my responsibility to be informed about the professionals I use. Sometime we think all health professionals are created equal and they are not. Just as we choose a surgeon, we should choose a physical therapist. Interview them ahead of time, find out what modalities they use, what happens with a patient who is not responding as they like, etc.

I stopped by several PT places prior to my surgery, tested their waiting times, what the one on one time was, how easy it was to get an appointment as well as asking my interview questions.

My PT was absolutely the greatest and helped me gain ROM and do exercises when I was stuck on crutches for an additional month. She helped with my gait and when I couldn't do an exercise, modified it so I could.

So it is possible to find a great PT out there; they are in the majority, but a consumer has to do there part as well. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Elisea's advice for picking a PT is excellent. It is OK to find someone that is a better fit for you and your knee. Even in the same clinic.
 
The PA at OS office recommended this group. They have several offices this one was close to my home. They are not as busy as I've seen at others I have been too for other problems. They are friendly and it is easy to schedule for your needs. I only seen one other therapist there at rare times. Things were going well until lately. When I came back from stomach flu she cut the number of reps and didn't push me. I think if I talk to her we can work it out. I will have have to set some ground rules. If that doesn't work I will do something different.

I am still waking up in middle of night with pain but wasn't as intense this time. I didn't feel like refilling ice machine last night but when I took my pain pill I grabbed my gel pack and ace wrapped it on and slept till 930 morning. Less pain. So I got the ice machine ready and have been icing and elevating for an hour. Time to move.

Elisea's advice for picking a PT is excellent. It is OK to find someone that is a better fit for you and your knee. Even in the same clinic.
Oops. Didn't mean to quote!

Anyway, it is good advise.
 
I hope you get feeling better. PT's are definitely there to help you, not to over do you. I am sorry someone would hurt you that way! I am so vocal I probably wouldn't have been nice at all!
 
My problem is when I am upset I get quiet. I can't talk or think. If I let go I might get into trouble! I am feeling more positive today and feel rested from the trip to the OS office yesterday. I was so cranky yesterday when my son called to see what the OS said. He and his partner came from California when I got out of rehab to help me. They were here 3 weeks. They were a big help. My daughter lives close but has started a new job and is a little help. She is getting a cold so doesn't want to give it to me, good idea. They all think I should continue PT make sure she is not to hurt me. So when to go back is the big question..

When I was in rehab the PT hurt me and I told him if you do that again I will hit you and he behaved. Lol. Thanks for your comments Karringtyn.
 
I forgot to say that with my appetite being down I have lost 18-20 lbs. one thing I do is make sure I eat enough protein I will have 3 small meals a day. Have to eat as I have diabetes, on pills and diet and have very good blood sugars. I think the diabetes does not help.
 
The pain is at C-E LF3
So something like this then?

[Bonesmart.org] Just found you. Need some direction!


That appears to me to certainly be muscular in origin. I would guess Pes anserinus for a start. As you can see in the article, this muscle group comes down the inner side of the thigh and wraps right around the top of the tibia - exactly the place you have described.

Let me emphasise again - once you have chronic tendinitis like this, the answer does not lie in exercises but stretches, rest, icing and pain meds. You need to stop doing all those exercises - and I do mean ALL - until this pain lessens considerably. You will probably find that as a result your swelling lessens and your ROM improves. It's really not rocket science!
I can't talk or think. If I let go I might get into trouble!
What do you mean by this? That you might actually sit down and have a really good cry? What's wrong with that? Surely you know that crying is a very healing, very healthy thing to do. You should also read the article about post op blues - sounds to me like you have a dose of them!
 
Josephine thanks or your response. Wrong leg I think, it is my right not my left but that is exactly where it hurts. It has gotten better. I haven't done any exercises since the ones I posted on. Wednesday my exercise bike arrived while was in laundry room. I carefully dragged it in my apt from front door. Yesterday I assembled it, took me all day. I rode it 3 minutes. Knee was tight but with seat at highest it can go all the way around, I was able to do full rotation. Today I went out to get my allergy shots and a quick stop at store for food. It hurt less driving today. I iced and elevated 30 minutes then rode the bike 10 minutes with no problem. A little tight for a few rotations then loosened up.

Yes I had gotten into the blues. Haven't really cried just cranky and down. I do cry but I just needed to decide what to do about PT. I know it's ok to cry that doesn't worry me. I called PT and said I would be back Monday. Now I don't know. I started taking Motrin . Now tonight I have sciatic pain in my left hip..I see a chiropractor when it acts up but will not be able to see him till Monday. This is making it hard to sit.

Should I wait on going back to PT a little longer? The pain on the inside of my knee is better.

Again thanks so much for the guidance, I have no experience in orthopedics other than school many moons ago!
 
Wrong leg I think, it is my right not my left
That is the left leg! It's facing the person - their left leg is on your right and vice versa! Plus the L in L3F stands for Left!
I called PT and said I would be back Monday. Now I don't know. Should I wait on going back to PT a little longer? The pain on the inside of my knee is better.
You should wait a LOT longer. Like at least two weeks or preferably never go back at all! You really don't need it now as your ROM is good and all the PT is doing is causing this pain. I'd quit it altogether.
Now tonight I have sciatic pain in my left hip..I see a chiropractor when it acts up but will not be able to see him till Monday. This is making it hard to sit.
I wouldn't mind betting that that's Piriformis syndrome. It very often crops up in concert with other issues like the pes anserinus.

Did you read that article? You didn't say if you did.
 
Sorry Josephine, I did read the article and I think you are right. That is the area I was having pain, I am no longer limping and very little discomfort. I am sorry about the diagram just couldn't seem to get it right. So, just do the bicycle like 10 minutes twice a day? The only exercises I can do I can do at home. So I will just do exercises you didn't cross out and the stretches on the Piriformis articles?

I had to buy some Tylenol and am taking that as well as Advil. I slept with my leg elevated and iced last night.

Thanks so much for your help. My mood is much improved now.
 
Yes, all you said is good. Including the bit about you feeling better! Yayyy! :yay:
 
Well, as they say the die is cast! I went to PT yesterday and the therapist did not like that I wouldn't do some of the exercises, said "you've had some set backs now we have to make up for lost time to regain what you lost." And when she was going to do the knee flexing part I told her she was not to hurt me. She said it hurts! I said you will not hurt me and will not make me cry. She looked at me and said "Are you serious!" Absolutely, do not hurt me. She said after a week if I have not made any progress she would have to discharge me! I told her I could easily stay at home no problem.. My children both said either do it at home or go somewhere else do not let her hurt you. The die is cast! I just called and cancelled my PT. I have an appointment 10 March with OS so if he still wants PT I will get the Rx then.

In the mean time it is the BoneSmart mantra for me! However, that being said, I feel like I am floating in uncharted waters and have a little anxiety! The US is so PT oriented it is hard to be a salmon. I see some posts where in UK there may not be enough direction, here we have plenty!

Thanks everyone one of you for your advise and encouragement.
 
Good for you, salmon. :) There is a difference between pushing into discomfort/mild pain and inflicting pain that makes you cry. :(
 
Hey there you in Wane NJ. I'm just up the road in Maine and I'm behind you 100%. You're right. I must've heard "Are you doing your PT?" dozens of times. Well whaduhyathink, you big dummy? That I'm sitting at home doing nothing, letting my TKR turn to stone??!!! Train your best friend (husband or other) to remind you that you're doing the right thing. Oh your kids are doing that! And think of me: My knee did not progress until I dumped not one but two PTs!!

I am so proud of the stand you took. That woman should get a job with The Mob. That is NOT health care!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you, salmon. :) There is a difference between pushing into discomfort/mild pain and inflicting pain that makes you cry. :(

Hi kneeper, I knew she didn't get it so not a good match for me, there was no one else to pick so I will have to go else where. Who trains these people? I also have a very good surgeon but, apparently they are not concerned when you tell them they are hurting you, not one of them realized that I had the tendinitis Josephine identified. Now after this last PT my knee hurts and is has more soreness. Too many repetitions I think.

Thanks for your support. I have read your thread. Good information.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
that being said, I feel like I am floating in uncharted waters and have a little anxiety!
But you're not in uncharted waters. We are here to guide and support you. Don't forget that!
Now after this last PT my knee hurts and is has more soreness. Too many repetitions I think.
Absolutely!
 
In the mean time it is the BoneSmart mantra for me!

Good for you! ..... If you're not having a positive experience with "formal" PT :headbang: just drop it and follow the BoneSmart way and you'll do just fine & without all that angst! ..... just keep looking forward and ask for help whenever you might need it

you're not in uncharted waters. We are here to guide and support you. Don't forget that!

It sure worked for me; the wonderful people here have kept me on track and facing forward when I had a few moments of second-guessing.:SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom